PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Shopper?

Sopamanda
10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Has anyone ever done this? I have a little time on my hands and it sound like fun, it'd be a bonus to get a little cash in pocket.

Anyone have experience with this?

Sopamanda

frgsnlzrds
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I would recommend you visit volition.com for more information. I have done it for years (until I moved to the middle of nowhere!) It is a LOT of work, for very little pay and not nearly as glamorous as it sounds, but if you're looking for a hobby, can pay attention to little details, and discretely use a stop watch, it can be fun. Volition has a long list of companies to sign up with and a forum with tips and answers. I found it very helpful when I was starting out. But remember, you NEVER have to pay money to get a mystery shop and NEVER cash a check for someone!

iowavb
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree, it is a lot of time for the payout, but once I'm done, I look forward to the check! I moved to the middle of nowhere too, so there isn't many places for me to do it anymore either.

vball4all
10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
https://www.maritzmysteryshopping.com/ I'm not sure what areas they cover. I haven't worked with them, but our nightly news did a segment on them one time.

wzly
10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I've been doing it for about six years...I pick up shops that involve stores that I would already go to...A lot of the stores that we post about here on the board...

I do everything from grocery shopping (up to $29 a trip...great in times like these) to fast food (reimburses about $15 plus a shop fee of $20-$25) to retail -- women's & kid's shops. I've done hotels (more involved), fine dining (also more detailed reports), and reveal shops for good customer service...

I've learned to not take low fees...I get calls from schedulers all of the time and I tell them when I can do the shop and make them increase their fees...(If they call, they are on deadline...)

It's nothing to make a living at/get rich at, but it's fun to do, and I love to shop... On a lot of shops, you can't bring kids. But sometimes I can bring my 8-year-old, and she gets a kick out of it, too. Sometimes we do family shops together and kids are actually appreciated for more feedback (ie, how the waitstaff treats your kids...).

I get paid through Paypal. I work with about 5 different companies. I take things if they are fun...

A lot of the reimbursements are low. It's the shop fees/deadline shops that make money...Also, the more shops you do, the more high-end stuff you are offered... Some of them grade your reports...Higher grades/no cancellations/on-time submissions = better shops & fees...

If anyone's interested, let me know...I'd be happy to send some links...

:) Jen

Bryan mom
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Jen,

That sounds interesting. I don't have a lot of time, but I will manage to find time to shop! =)

Would you please forward some links? You can PM me.

Thanks.

Angela

whoozyermama
10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I do it for one that only deals in high end restaurants. It's kind of a pain and I am pretty much slowing down on it...

srhs
10-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I did it here and there before DS, but I haven't done a single one since. (Many shops specifically say you cannot bring kids along.)
I found the ones that pay, pay so little they weren't worth it.
However, the ones that reimburse (like fancy dinner out, a delivered pizza) were worth my time.
That said, I had to do the smaller ones to get established with some of my companies.
I don't live in a metropolitan area, though, so I'm sure there are MANY more opportunities for someone who does.
GL

supercalifragilous
10-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Jen,

Can you PM me some links as well? Ironically, after I got laid off a few months ago, it seems all I do is shop!

wzly
10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll PM you guys today...It really is fun...If you take the shops that you go to anyway and can match it with a coupon or a sale or a loyalty program, it's a good thing...

I think we're all great shoppers and mystery shopping really supports what we all want...great customers and great customer service...

heatherlynn
10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I'll PM you guys today...It really is fun...If you take the shops that you go to anyway and can match it with a coupon or a sale or a loyalty program, it's a good thing...

I think we're all great shoppers and mystery shopping really supports what we all want...great customers and great customer service...

Would you mind sending me a PM as well? Now that my 2 youngest are in preschool part-time, I have a little time to go out by myself. Thanks!!

kristenk
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Jen, can you PM me, too? Thanks!

abstonka
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Jen,
I am also interested. Would you mind PM the info to me, too?
Thanks,
Kristie

alien_host
10-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Hi Jen,

I'd love a PM with info! thanks!

I find it all so interesting and love to shop so maybe it would be fun to try out.

ett
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Jen, can you pm me too? Thanks! I already love to go shopping. :)

amycoh
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Ditto - pm me please ;-)

Bryan mom
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
here too. Thanks, Jen.

mommybug
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Me too please! Thanks so much!

Aarohismom
10-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Me too please! Thanks!

SammyeGail
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
LOL, another one, PM me! My son's starting an autism school thats 45 minutes away, he'll be there 3 hours (I have to kill) so its not worth driving back home. I'll be 20 minutes from our biggest mall/restaurants, and alone!!

Samantha

wzly
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Will do...E-mails coming by the morning to everyone...

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Ohhh add me to the list too! I would love to do this! Thanks!

neeter
10-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Me too please! Thank you!

wzly
10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
okay everyone...

I think I'm going to make the PM system crash...I've gone over my limit for messages and text...

For those that I haven't e-mailed already, can you do me a huge favor and e-mail me at:
[email protected]

I'll reply right away with my mystery shopping 101 with some links...

I hope it helps...I think it answers most of the questions people have sent so far...

Many thanks! :) Jen

Sopamanda
10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
What have I started???!!!!!

=)

Amanda

endlessheather
11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
oops! mean't to hit pm not reply!

Babymakes3
11-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I mystery shop for www.mysteryshops.com and its fun but there are so many people here that you have to be fast to get the good shops! I can't do it often now that I have a little one though.

Here is a blog link where she reviews several of the mystery shopping sites.

http://moneysavingmethodsmysteryshopping.blogspot.com/