PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the Brady Bunch?

Fairy
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
The whole Maureen McCormack autobio has me thinking. The other day I turned on the TV, and there was the Brady Bunch. DS was immediately taken right in. It was the one where they all thought Jan was allergic to Tiger but it was actually his flea powder. And everyone in the whole family gives Tiger a bath over and over, and poor Tiger gets five baths in one day, poor pooch. And DS was laughing and laughing. It was only that last seven minutes of the show, but I was fascinated by how immediately fascinated he was. Then we moved on to other things and that was that.

But it made me think about those innocent shows we watched when we were little kids that are part of our pop culture today. Shows like The Brady Bunch and Gilligan. They were innocent and written when stuff didn't have to be "gritty" or "edgey" to have merrit.

So, I thought, ya know, I'd kind of like DS to like the Brady Bunch. But than I remembered how important it was for Marsha to win the Popularity Contest. Eh ... no, I don't wanna teach him popularity. Then I remembered the one about the burglaries in the neighborhood and didn't want to have to explain that one. and the one about the black eye and getting picked on.

So, I thoguht I'd ask, how do you all feel about these shows from our youth and how they would translate to your DCs now?

MelissaTC
10-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I love love love the Brady Bunch. I have seen every single episode and am pretty good at random Brady facts. I think M would love it. I am going to let him watch it. Thank you for posting this!

I used to watch shows like the Brady Bunch, the Monkees, Partridge Family, etc.. when I was little on a small black and white tv in my parents' room. I remember watching it after kindergarten. I loved it.

M understands that life is different now than it was years ago. These type of situations lends to deep conversations. He loves the musical movie "Hairspray". That led to a long series of talks about race and acceptance. He can't believe that people of color were segregated and thinks it was silly, for example.

elektra
10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I really like the Brady Bunch too. My favorite of all time would have to be Little House on the Prairie though.
I know they did a mini series based more on the books a year or two ago but I would love a remake of that one! Might not be quite as magical without Michael Landon though.
Totally hear you about the more innocent shows. I am still in shock over the new 90210 premiere! And I don't consider myself a prude at all!

jgenie
10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
I love the Brady Bunch and will still watch it if I catch it on TV. I adore Little House on the Prairie - so much so that when we were still exchanging gifts with extended family I received several seasons on DVD. I think I have 4 seasons!

Fairy
10-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I love love love the Brady Bunch. I have seen every single episode and am pretty good at random Brady facts. I think M would love it. I am going to let him watch it. Thank you for posting this!

I used to watch shows like the Brady Bunch, the Monkees, Partridge Family, etc.. when I was little on a small black and white tv in my parents' room. I remember watching it after kindergarten. I loved it.

M understands that life is different now than it was years ago. These type of situations lends to deep conversations. He loves the musical movie "Hairspray". That led to a long series of talks about race and acceptance. He can't believe that people of color were segregated and thinks it was silly, for example.

Well, Melissa, here's something you may enjoy --> http://www.thegregbradyproject.com/. And it goes without saying that if you haven't read Barry's "Growing up Brady," it's a must read for any Brady fan.

KpbS
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
My siblings and I watched the Brady Bunch in late elementary or junior high. We saw all of the episodes and found them pretty enjoyable. At the time we knew they were from a bygone era and we laughed at the groovy fashions and lingo. I wouldn't mind DC watching them but I would wait until they were about the same age I watched. Going to school they will find out about popularity, getting picked on, etc.--all of that junk. But I don't want DS1 pondering these topics too early. IMO a lot of "kid" programming addresses this stuff (Disney Channel and the like) and is geared to young children but really is age inappropriate. All a part of kids growing older younger and super ick to me.

maestramommy
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I loved the Brady Bunch when I was a kid. I think a lot of the episodes had something to teach. Even the one where Peter was getting picked on and got a black eye. That was valuable.

egoldber
10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I do think that shows like this are valuable. But I think as a society we have a tendency to let our kids watch these shows too early for some reason. Even shows like Arthur on PBS are meant for elementary school age children (ages 6-10 I would estimate), not preschoolers. And Hannah Montana is OK for a pre-teen (8-12) but not a 5 year old. Again my opinion.

I think that exposing these things to kids before they are ready or need to address those themes lessens their value when they DO need to worry about things like popularity and the emerging attraction to the opposite sex.

Fairy
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I do agree with alot of what Beth said. I'm a formerly anti-TV person, and I'm still anti-TV for babies. But for toddlers and above, there is so much outstanding, quality television out there that in moderation, DS has benefited from. If it weren't for his asthma and nebulizer treatments, I might not have discovered some of these shows. It's not like he watches 4 hours a day (well, there was a day DH and I both had the flu so badly with 104 fevers that we could not function, and DS got more TV that day than not :) ), but he does get a good hour on week days, more on weekends. But the TV he's getting is Sesame and Sid and Jack and Upside Down show. A sprinkling of Dora and some others I don't adore. But they're age appopriate.

I have a friend, tho, that allows her daughter two months younger than DS to watch Hannah Montana and HSM, and I can't understand it. The girl is three years old, and she's watching these shows that, quite frankly, I can't imagine she understands what she's watching. But ya know what she does understand? How to talk back to her mother and misbehave so badly that it's shocking. That's a whole 'nother story, but to get back on topic, those are shows not age appropriate that I do catch kids DS's age, which is just getting out of toddlerhood, watching. And I do think that Arthur is sneaky in that it appears to be good for the young ones, but really, that subject-matter is, in my mind, too old for a 3 and 4yo.

So, relating this all back to TBB and Gilligan and I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched and even Little House, which is a different level of show ... these are wonderful shows (not saying Gilligan was high art, but it had all kinds of merrit, nonetheless) that are full of a more innocent time that have something interesting to say to the youth that watch them. I watched these shows at age 5 and 6. I probaly watched Gilligan at DS's current age. And I want him to love these shows. I also want him to like Days of our Lives and Soap! But yeah, we're a little early for that ;-).

But. I don't think DS is ready at 4yo for the Brady Bunch, but I do want him to like it in a couple more years. With all the talk of Mo's book, it's just something that made me think, and I always like the TV pro/con talk on this board and looked forward to hearing opinions.

So amazing how things have changed since we were kids.

lisams
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I do think that shows like this are valuable. But I think as a society we have a tendency to let our kids watch these shows too early for some reason. Even shows like Arthur on PBS are meant for elementary school age children (ages 6-10 I would estimate), not preschoolers. And Hannah Montana is OK for a pre-teen (8-12) but not a 5 year old. Again my opinion.

I think that exposing these things to kids before they are ready or need to address those themes lessens their value when they DO need to worry about things like popularity and the emerging attraction to the opposite sex.

I agree. DD is almost 6 and still watches Sesame Street - it's interesting because I almost feel as if it's too babyish for her, but those kinds of shows are actually made for preschool/kindergarten age IMO.

I remember watching The Brady Bunch in middle school (6/7th grade) and really liking it.

Nooknookmom
10-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I can still watch every episode of the Brady Bunch to this day, and love it!!!

All the old shows Different Strokes, Partridge Family, Family Ties, Facts of Life. They seemed so innocent, the new "family" shows on in the evening now all are sooo racy.

writermama
10-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Ok, so I'm majorly dating myself, but I remember watching the Captain and Tenille and other cheesy variety shows as a kid growing up. When my DH brought home a DVD set of Captain and Tenille, I was not excited. But he put one on to show the girls (5 and 2) and they loved it. Absolutely loved it. They ask for it all the time (it's a Daddy, special occasion, weekend show, though). It's competely cheesy, but the girls love the music and the dancing, and the silly humor (the racier jokes by the standard of the time are pretty tame for today and in any case they fly right over the kids' heads).

So, if you're thinking of introducing your kids to the classics, 70's variety shows might be a good bet.

I grew up on the Brady's and Gilliagan, as well as things that if I do the math, I think I must have been much to young to be watching (Battlestar Galactica and the original Star Wars come to mind), but I was a younger sibling and I was determined to watch what my brother watched. I plan to share my childhood favorites with my kids, but I'm not in any hurry. I'd rather wait until they can understand more, but hopefully not so long that they think the shows are completely cheesy.

o_mom
10-22-2008, 09:55 AM

I agree! This goes for movies as well. I am amazed at the number of 3, 4 and 5 yos who have see Star Wars, Jurrasic Park, etc. DS1 got scared of Rudolph last year (4.25 yrs), I can't even imagine what Jurrasic Park would do to him.

shawnandangel
10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
personally I ca't wait for DD to start watching Shirley Temple movies. And I also love Little House

sariana
10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
As I was reading the OP, my first thought was "Little House." But you know, it was on one of our local stations here until about six months ago, and as I watched, I realized it was not so innocent. There is an episode where a young girl is raped and impregnated. Laura was kidnapped and locked in a cellar as a child. A little girl drowns while swimming with Mary and Laura. Charles is always punching someone (great conflict resolution there). The blind school burns down, killing Alice Garvey and Mary's baby. I still cry when I see that one.

I still love that show, but I'm not sure I would want my DC watching it until they were quite a bit older. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

o_mom
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
As I was reading the OP, my first thought was "Little House." But you know, it was on one of our local stations here until about six months ago, and as I watched, I realized it was not so innocent. There is an episode where a young girl is raped and impregnated. Laura was kidnapped and locked in a cellar as a child. A little girl drowns while swimming with Mary and Laura. Charles is always punching someone (great conflict resolution there). The blind school burns down, killing Alice Garvey and Mary's baby. I still cry when I see that one.

I still love that show, but I'm not sure I would want my DC watching it until they were quite a bit older. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

Oh, yes - add in the nasty morphine addition of Albert and a couple others, alcoholic Mr. Edwards, a couple suicides, Laura's son dying, her horse dying and Nellie Olsen in general - going to be awhile before we break these out :wink2: