PDA

View Full Version : Family nights

MamaKath
10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Do any of you do Family Nights, Game Nights, Home Evenings? What types of things do you do? How often do you have them?

We have been doing informal family nights on DH's evening off (usually Saturdays). Often it is pizza, popcorn, and a movie (or puzzle or game). I was just wondering what others do.

firstbaby
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
We started doing this recently too and the kids (and us) love it. We do it Friday nights and usually it is a movie and popcorn. DS2 has been a little too young for a game night (he plays by his own rules which frustrates DS1 who is old enough to understand and play by the rules), but I think we could soon pull off a calm Candy Land tournament :) My personal preference would be a game night vs movie night just to encourage conversation, but I'll take what I can get :)

MMEand1
10-21-2008, 09:44 PM
We try to do weekly Family Home Evenings, usually on Monday nights. We do all sorts of things. This week we went to the archery range and everyone got to shoot. Sometimes we go to the library and other times we go to DQ and get ice cream. Most of the time, however, we just have a short lesson and then have popcorn, cookies, cupcakes, etc as a snack. We try to stay away from Friday nights because we use those as date night for DH and I (well, when we had a sitter - she moved and we have not found another one that we trust).

I think spending time with the kids and DH is a great way to encourage communication - especially now while they are young. When they get older, they might be more apt to talk to us!!!