PDA

View Full Version : Calliou - Does it encourage whining?

cellenly
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you think this show encourages whining in your children?

I'm wondering what others think. I'd make it a poll if i knew how. =)

DrSally
10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
No, not really. DS loves it and so do I. I know his voice annoys others though.

mom2aidan
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
My DH said "yes!". But I do have to add, we like the show, it is educational and my DS has learned a lot from it. But in general, I think kids can be whiny and maybe they're portraying it the way it is in real life.

elizabethkott
10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I can't stand that show. DS loves it, however. I just can't deal with, "Mommeeeeeeeeeeee... I don't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant toooooooooooooo." "Daddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Rosie has my diiiiiiiiinoooooosaaaaaaaauuuuur."
GAH!!!

elephantmeg
10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I've never thought about it. My thoughts when watching it is "does this mother never snap?". I never hear "um, dear, Calliou is on my last nerve, can you take him outside while I finish making dinner?" It's always gentle redirecting etc. Drives me nuts and facinates me all at the same time. I think it's parenting lessons in a kid format sometimes. Like really, when your son leaves his toy car at the ice cream place do you cheerfully pack both kids up and go back so he can get it and get you dd a huge ice cream cone? Wow. I'm not sure I would do so that calmly.

Fairy
10-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Count me in the ugh pile on this one. Caillou is one of the ones I absolutely cannot stand, that kid is always a in a whiney little snit. However, DH lets DS watch this. Drrr.... And DS says he likes it. Yet he never, not once, asks for it. He begs for Word Girl and Sesame and Backyardigans, but this one is not on his list unless he sees it's on. I don't think it's a bad show. But I do think a DC could pick up the whining from it.

JMS
10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
My kids like the show. I rate it at just okay. The whining definitely gets to me at times.
Does anyone know why at 4 he has no hair? I ponder this too often. Also why is Franklin not "Turtle" (his friends are "Bear" "Beaver" "Snail" etc)?

egoldber
10-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Well Sarah has seldom seen Cailliou and I get a mighty earful every day of "Mommmeeeeeeeeeee Amy has my glasses!!!!!!! Mommmmeeee Amy's following me make her stopppppppp!!!!!!!"

:banghead: :6: :dizzy: :54:

lisams
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Nah. DD really likes Calliou and will still watch it from time to time. I think she can really relate, having a little sibling in the house. If anything it lets her see how bad the whining sounds. I actually like Calliou, I think it's a cute show.

Fairy
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
My kids like the show. I rate it at just okay. The whining definitely gets to me at times.
Does anyone know why at 4 he has no hair? I ponder this too often. Also why is Franklin not "Turtle" (his friends are "Bear" "Beaver" "Snail" etc)?

I think Caillou and Charlie Brown have a common ancestor, no? As for Franklin, this is another show that I initially liked for DS but decided wasn't right for us. Plus, did they have to make Beaver a girl? Really, they couldn't invent a friend named Quail that was a girl and made Beaver a boy? Just sayin'.

DrSally
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I've never thought about it. My thoughts when watching it is "does this mother never snap?". I never hear "um, dear, Calliou is on my last nerve, can you take him outside while I finish making dinner?" It's always gentle redirecting etc. Drives me nuts and facinates me all at the same time. I think it's parenting lessons in a kid format sometimes. Like really, when your son leaves his toy car at the ice cream place do you cheerfully pack both kids up and go back so he can get it and get you dd a huge ice cream cone? Wow. I'm not sure I would do so that calmly.

Yeah, the parents are amazingly patient and Calliou is very compliant. I wish I had the time to resolve each issue with such time consuming solutions. I do like it b/c it shows toddlers in their everyday environment, so it's something DS can relate to and learn about the world. I do also agree with pp, that this is how toddlers talk a lot of the time.

JMS
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Plus, did they have to make Beaver a girl? Really, they couldn't invent a friend named Quail that was a girl and made Beaver a boy? Just sayin'.

She's kinda a b!tch too! And why is snail naturally slow but Franklin is apparently the fastest turtle on the planet? Not to mention he's almost the same size as his best friend Bear.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the Calliou thread with questions about Franklin.

octmom
10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
But in general, I think kids can be whiny and maybe they're portraying it the way it is in real life.

ITA. DS loved Caillou for a long time and now DD has loved it for a long time. DS still watches because we have it on for DD. As whiny as Caillou may sound, my own kids have sounded whinier! :lol: And I have a soft spot for Caillou for helping us get through long car trips, sick-child nights, cranky spells, etc.

ellies mom
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
My oldest doesn't watch it often but like Beth's girls still has whining down pat. The only show I've had to threaten to ban from the house is Max and Ruby because she starts talking in one word sentences like Max.

Emmas Mom
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know why at 4 he has no hair? I ponder this too often.

I have often wondered this too! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The show doesn't bother me. Both our DD's like it & it's one of the shows I don't mind them watching. :)

dcmom2b3
10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Plus, did they have to make Beaver a girl? Really, they couldn't invent a friend named Quail that was a girl and made Beaver a boy? Just sayin'.

:hysterical: OMG, I thought I was the only one who had that thought!

clc053103
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't think DS's whining requires any encouragement either!! LOL! The whining is annoying, but I don't think it's contagious.

I just wish they would put Calliou's mother in a supportive bra.

Laurel
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
YES. I think Calliou is a typical four year-old so it's nice that it is an accurate portrayal. However, his parents are an example of how NOT to parent your four year-old!

nov04
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
sil refuses to let their kids watch it because of this. I would probably avoid it to, but I never notice it on.

ThreeofUs
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
It encouraged (silent) whining in me! It no longer runs in our area, but DS1 really liked it when it did.

I just felt like I'd never be the parent the cartoon portrayed. Gosh, like I need something else to make me feel like I'm the only one who didn't get the "thoughful, long-suffering, and perfectly nurturing parent" gene. Whhhiiinnnnneeeee!

KrystalS
10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
DD loves Caillou and its never really bothered me, I agree with others that hes a typical 4 yo. As for Franklin I've often thought the same thing about the names, very strange. Another hijack here but does anyone wonder about Max & Ruby? They have no parents yet Ruby still plays with toys so she obviously isn't old enough to be looking after her brother.

Emmas Mom
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Another hijack here but does anyone wonder about Max & Ruby? They have no parents yet Ruby still plays with toys so she obviously isn't old enough to be looking after her brother.

I have often wondered that too & this show bugs me more than Caillou! DD#1 loves it though but often comments that they have no Mommy & Daddy. I'm not sure how to respond to her. I find it odd that the parents are never mentioned, just occasionally the Grandma. I believe I caught that Ruby was SEVEN...definitely not old enough to be traipsing around on city buses like they do. Not old enough to babysit her brother, much less baby Huffington. (so sad that I know this much about that show). It definitely rubs me the wrong way. But I guess I like it better than SpongeBob. :shake:

traciann
10-22-2008, 02:50 PM
my friend says that cailou is whiney, but I never really noticed it. DD loves the tv show, and I don't have a problem with her watching it. I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't whine.

mamicka
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I think either you've got a whiner or you don't.

However, his parents are an example of how NOT to parent your four year-old!

I haven't watched Caillou in a while, but I don't remember thinking that the parents handled things wrong. What do they do that's not right?

CAM7
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
We had to put a ban on Calliou because it was teaching DD3.5 and DS2.5 to whine instead of using language.

One of my favorite little snippy lines of his: "I was OWN-LEE trying to HEY-ALP!"

HATE Calliou!

Every time the kid whines they reinforce his behaviour by giving into him...

linsei
10-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Caillou is whiny, but I'm not sure if I've noticed a change in behavior after ds1 watches it.

However, when he watches Max & Ruby, he finds that it is acceptable to use one word sentences. He plops down at the table and will say "hungry". So I'll respond with "rude" and then he will come up with a better way to state what is on his mind ;) M&R is much more annoying at our house.

I've also wondered about Caillou's hair and the absence of M&R's parents.

ETA that he picked up "Whadyasay?" from Dora. Also annoying.

nupe
10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you think this show encourages whining in your children?

Absolutely, without a doubt. I think I only let DS watch it because it was Canadian and it is so multicultural. However Caillous is so whiny, and DS learned from it. IN fact one time he was on the floor, in a tantrum mode for the first time, beating his fists on the floor. I asked him where he learned that and he said Caillou! So Caillou has since been banished from my house!

Laurel
10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I think either you've got a whiner or you don't.

I haven't watched Caillou in a while, but I don't remember thinking that the parents handled things wrong. What do they do that's not right?

They give in to the whining every.single.time.

CAM7
10-22-2008, 05:23 PM
They give in to the whining every.single.time.

Not only do they give into it but they seem delighted by it...Lol!!

Fairy
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I just wish they would put Calliou's mother in a supportive bra.

YES. Seriously, we need an intervention.

Fairy
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Does anyone remember that thread at least a year and a half ago now about the wack of some of these shows and what some funny episodes would be. Like "Stranger Danger: A Very Special Episode of Lazytown." It hit on so much of this stuff about Caillou having no hair.

And Beaver. Ahem.

ALOT of Max & Ruby references, too. I'm giggling just thinking about this thing. Sorry to hijack!!!

Where the heck is that thing, it was hysterical. If someone wants to go on a hunt and finds it, please post!

TahliasMom
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM
dd never cared for it so i'm happy as he's too whiny for my taste. and what's up with no hair? hehe

clc053103
10-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Does anyone remember that thread at least a year and a half ago now about the wack of some of these shows and what some funny episodes would be. Like "Stranger Danger: A Very Special Episode of Lazytown." It hit on so much of this stuff about Caillou having no hair.

And Beaver. Ahem.

ALOT of Max & Ruby references, too. I'm giggling just thinking about this thing. Sorry to hijack!!!

Where the heck is that thing, it was hysterical. If someone wants to go on a hunt and finds it, please post!

I remember that- I think I contributed:
Max and Ruby and their visit from DYFS!

catpagmo
10-22-2008, 06:11 PM
This is one of DD's favorite shows. I have to say, I don't think it encourages whining in DD. She absolutely loves it. I don't have a problem with it.

TonFirst
10-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh, man - Ruby is hands-down the biggest b!tch on Noggin.

We've been watching a lot of Oswald lately, and my husband and I were in hysterics the other day with all the double entendres in the "Big Banana Day" episode...

ChristinaLucia
10-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes. We hate Calliou.

C99
10-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think it encourages whining; I think that its target audience is prone to whining, so it seems related. Besides, I much prefer whining to screaming.

My 18-m/o can say Caillou; it's his favorite show.

JoyNChrist
10-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't usually let DS watch Caillou just because it annoys me. I don't think it will have any influence on his whining, but I don't like to listen to it and he'd just as happily watch Sesame Street or his Laurie Berkner DVD, so I choose those for him instead.

tiapam
10-23-2008, 01:27 AM
One day DD surprised me by saying she wanted her own water park! I was very confused until DH said she got it from Caillou. I later saw the episode and apparently a couple of chairs, some rope and a hose comprised Caillou's water park. :) He had wanted to go to some big, expensive water park that was too far, so they did not give in then.

I don't *think* it encourages whining, but perhaps I will do an experiment. Though I do like that it portrays everyday life.

I started the thread on lost episodes:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207236&highlight=clifford+dump

Hmm, I am quite pleased with myself to have it remembered and requested. :)

fivi2
10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Those old ones are hysterical!

As far as Caillou goes - we don't watch it, but I think my girls are prone to picking up behaviors from tv, so I don't want to risk it. There was a whiny character on some horrible discovery channel cartoon (Wilbur the book reading cow - the stupid lamb character) and my girls started whining like her - so I stopped letting them watch it. So I do think that some kids will copy what they see on tv.

CAM7
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh, man - Ruby is hands-down the biggest b!tch on Noggin.

LOL! Classic!

dianna
10-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Wow. Its my DS's favorite show, and I've honestly never paid attention to the whining...but now that you mention it...its terrible and I have no idea how it hasn't grated on my every nerve!!!

My 3 yo DSs whining drives me crazy. I sure hope that Caillou isn't making it worse!

Dianna