PDA

View Full Version : Transition back to work after being SAHM-advice (long)?

momtoonegirl
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I just returned from a large conference in my field of work, where I was able to network and re-establish several contacts that I had when I was actively working. I work in a highly male dominated field, and most of my male colleagues I spoke to were quite supportive of my decision to take time off, and very happy to give me recommendations when I return to work :) I have continued to keep abreast of the latest developments in my field since I have been a SAHM, and was actually having a good time at the conference.

However, albeit the minority, one looked shocked when I said I was still at home with DD, and sounded as if I was doing myself a disservice by staying out so long, and needed to get back to work ASAP. I thought that I may encounter some of this thinking when I am interviewing for a new job, since I am looking to start working again in the next 6-8 months.

I have a few questions for you all who have BTDT experience:
1. How did you handle addressing your time off in your resume/cover letter/interviews?

2. How did you transition back to work? Did you start off just working a few days/hrs a week, or did you go back immediately to full time work?

In my field, it would be easier to find full time work, but I think that I could possibly find somewhere that would be willing to be flexible, although that would be much harder.

3. How did your DC handle the transition?

DH and I have been talking to DD about mommy going back to work, but she is in denial, because she keeps on staying that she wants me to stay with her all day, although she will be in preschool at that time.

TIA :)

pinkmomagain
10-22-2008, 06:38 PM
DH and I have been talking to DD about mommy going back to work, but she is in denial, because she keeps on staying that she wants me to stay with her all day, although she will be in preschool at that time.

Sorry, I have no good advice for you because I have been a SAHM for 9 years now! But I had to chuckle at the above quote because my 12 and 9 yo dds FLIP OUT when we talk of me possibly going back to work. You would think they wouldn't care since they are in school all day and are much more independent, but they won't hear of it! I guess it doesn't get easier, but kids are resilient and would get used to it, if faced with the situation, at any age.

GL!

MamaKath
10-23-2008, 09:57 PM
1. How did you handle addressing your time off in your resume/cover letter/interviews?

I didn't go back into quite the same field. When I did go back, I did not address it on my resume as far as absence of time. I did include any events/education/community service that was pertinent. I was also prepared to discuss those and how they prepared me/kept me in the game. I have a friend who is a SAHM engineer. She is running the science and engineering club at our school as one means of staying "fresh."

2. How did you transition back to work? Did you start off just working a few days/hrs a week, or did you go back immediately to full time ?

Went back full time, but found a situation that worked for our family. I went back to teaching kids (vs. adults) so the kids could be in school and at the daycare at the school. We moved the same week, so it all was really overwhelming and rough transitionally. Probably not overly comparable maybe.

3. How did your DC handle the transition?

As well as I could have anticipated. The kids were there at my work, so it did ease some transitions, though it also has added stress when things like transitions don't go well. It was faced together and it did get easier. It was not easy though!

HTH~

momtoonegirl
10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your replies.

It helps to know that others have been through this transition successfully :).

niccig
10-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I might be making this transition. I've volunteered somewhere for years, and they have a part-time opening they've offered me. I don't have to apply, if I did I would highlight the volunteer work I've done since becoming a SAHM. DS is in preschool 3 days a week and I'm planning to just work those days. I already tell DS that I'm working when he's at preschool - either it's a volunteer day or I'm working on home projects, so he's used to me saying that I work. Transition will be a little tough. DH will have to drop him off 2 days a week, I'll be busier too. I"m trying to finish up some lingering house projects before it starts and trying to get more organized, start menu planning etc. I hope to still be there as much as I am now for DS, but I need to become more efficient with house/chores etc