PDA

View Full Version : How much to spend on teacher gifts?

tmarie
10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
My dd has 3 teachers at school. I'm trying to start my holiday shopping early and am contemplating how much to spend. Dd attends school 3 days/week and loves her teachers. But I'm on a budget this year...what is appropriate?

TIA!

AuGoldie
10-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I would think $5-$10 a piece. And I would stick to something nuetral like a nice box of chocolates or a mug etc. As a teacher I never expect anything from students and am very appreciative of any kids who made the gesture. I think anything more expensive would embarrass me.
Jackie =)

ha98ed14
10-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I come from a family of teachers. I think 5 to 10 dollars would be fine as PP said. My advice tho, skip the mug, they have tons. $5 at Starbucks or $10 to Target, Barnes and Noble or Borders will be VERY much appreciated!

irie i
10-23-2008, 01:59 AM
I would say $5-10 as well. You can also buy things in sets and make a little bag/basket for them. I worked in retail for many years and I make little teacher baggies all the time. You can get great deals when you purchase in multiples...soaps, candles, lip balms, lotions, etc. Things to pamper teacher. Just make sure you don't go overboard with scented things. The more mild and natural the better. I wouldn't go to a place like Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret, for example, as their products are heavily scented and not at all moisturizing.

wellyes
10-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I say $5 max. My aunt was a kindergarten teacher and after the holidays she was always giving away tons of little trinkets that she'd received from her students. I think it was more of an annoyance to her than a pleasure, although she always said nothing but wonderful things about the kids.

WatchingThemGrow
10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm a former teacher and more in the gift card camp. Many aren't coffee drinkers (we can't have hot coffee in our classrooms where we are early in the am with the little people), and scented soaps and candles always made me sneeze/break out.

I can tell you the names of families that gave me small gift cards to Whole Foods or Target and what "thing" I bought for myself with the $$.

kedss
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Any gift from students is appreciated, especially gifts made by the kids, or photos? You could make ornaments using your dc's photo?

egoldber
10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I usually give a $10 GC to the main teacher and smaller ones to any assistants or helpers.

I usually give GC to B&N, Borders or Michaels.

KrisM
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm on the side of consumable or a gift card. I can't imagine what they'd do with all the "stuff" they'd get each year.

Last year, we did $10 GC to Borders for both teachers. Probably will repeat it this year.

DS also made candy for everyone. We kept it to about 7 pieces per person, so nobody got tons. Last year, it was mini pretzels with Hershey kisses and M&Ms on them. It was nice to add something that he made without going overboard.

mom2binsd
10-23-2008, 10:07 AM
At preschool last year and at DD's K class this year the parents have pooled our $ to get a larger gift card to restaurants, Target, a fav store.....it's up to each parent how much to donate, I think for preschool we did 5-10 a teacher (we had a lead and assistant but gave equally to each), in K we'll probably give 30.00 total, for Christmas/Birthday/Year End- our room parents are collecting the $. I think a HAND MADE CARD BY DC for the teacher with a small token is best if you go the individual route.

From the teacher perspective-I was in the schools for 13 years as an SLP so many of my friends are teachers, they really DON'T expect gifts and in fact would be sad to hear if any family who was struggling financially bought them a gift...it in no way impacts how a teacher feels about a child or family/it really is the thought that counts not the amount spent......and sorry if this offends anyone but THEY DO NOT NEED ANY MORE MUGS.....or APPLE DESK ORNAMENTS, and CHOCOLATE/most of it will be given to others and not enjoyed- a friend of mine who says "can't they see I"m already 60 pounds overweight! Many of my friends love getting gift cards to Barnes & Noble, and local restaurants!

MamaMolly
10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
As a former teacher I also agree that a giftcard or snack is nice. I once got chocolate coated spoons. The mom bought gold plastic spoons and dipped the bowls of the spoons into melted chocolate. She then put 5 or so in a holiday baggy and tied it with ribbon. The idea is that you stir the spoon into your coffee or cocoa. It didn't cost much and looked fancy.

I also got homemade instant spiced coffee from a mom that I loved so much I asked for the recipe. She put it into small jars, bigger than baby food but about half the size of a typical jelly jar with a bit of holiday fabric between the lid and the screw on rim. Cute, inexpensive and yummy! Here is the recipe if anyone wants it:

Sharon's Fireside Coffee

2 cups instant cocoa mix
2 cups powdered coffee creamer
1 cup instant coffee
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. To enjoy, mix 2-3 tablespoons in a cup of hot water. Yum!

twobabes
10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Uh-oh. I already bought gifts... Vera Bradley lunchsacks. I was planning on doing those along with Starbucks (or similar) cards, as I figured teachers bring their lunches. Is this a bad idea? (I can give the lunchsacks to someone else and just do gift cards).

WatchingThemGrow
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Uh-oh. I already bought gifts... Vera Bradley lunchsacks. I was planning on doing those along with Starbucks (or similar) cards, as I figured teachers bring their lunches. Is this a bad idea? (I can give the lunchsacks to someone else and just do gift cards).

Former teacher here. A lunchsack is nice, esp. if you know the teacher brings lunch and the old one is looking ratty. DD is actually enjoying a lunch sack from a student in 1997 when she plays in her kitchen.

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Ds usually makes cookies and I provide a $10 gift card to somewhere (movie theater, Target, bookstore...). I did $5 gc last year for his bus drivers and a part time aide.

Beth

nov04
10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
We'll be doing $10 GC to her 2 teachers. I'm thinking our local dept store, they can buy anything they want.

tmarie
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Thank you for all the ideas! I'm going with $10 gift cards to Target. :)

mom2binsd
10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Two babes,

The lunch sacks would depend if they will keep items cold...like are they lined and do the teachers seem like they are the Vera Bradley type...IMO that style is very love it or hate it.....and I'm sure the Starbucks or Panera type gift cards would be a hit..the teachers don't have to use it for lunch they can use it on the weekend too (I always kid that my students think the teachers live at school and when they see me outside of school at Chili's or the store they seem kind of freaked out!)

katydid1971
10-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I just bought 5-$20 Starbuck gc at Costco for $80.between the aide, the two teachers, the speech therepist and the lady in the office I think I have everyone covered.

MamaKath
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I spend $20 approximately. I often will make something and include a gift card. I have had students who have given nothing all the way up to large gifts/gift certificates. The economy plays a role.