PDA

View Full Version : Craiglist Beef and Advice??? OOOps put in wrong section

Jackieluv
10-23-2008, 09:23 AM
ok I apologize up front because I put this in the suggestion box by accident and I am not sure how to remove it but I wanted to makes sure to put it in the right section!

There was a rocker/glider listed on craigslist. I wrote the lister and we wrote back and forth about 4 times, we had decided to meet 2 days (when she was available) but never set a time nor did I get her address....I wrote her asking her these two items and NEVER heard back from her. I decided to give it a couple days....I went back to check the listing and it had been removed. I am assuming someone else bought it but I worked my hiney off making sure that I was the first one to meet her but when she is not getting back to me.......ANYWAY, does anyone have advice when shopping on craiglist to make sure you get the item before anyone else..... Thanks:32:

MMMommy
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
In my experiences with Craig's List, I've found that it really isn't who contacted first, but really who pays and picks up first. I'll be in negotiations/discussions with the seller (via email), and then the item will suddenly be gone or sold. My assumption is that someone swooped in and was able to confirm purchasing and make payment really quickly. I think it's a matter of "first come, first paid."

veronica
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I definitely agree with getting there first. I don't waste time , if I can help it. I usually reach out to a post with my offer, in cash and say I can pick up that night. Then, they really know your intentions of not backing out and usually can arrange to meat sooner rather than later. I have never had a buyer back out and have bought countless items on CL, even if I did have to wait to get it due to the buyer's time commitments.

I even paid for something via paypal right away that was 3 states away and some family that was visiting me, picked it up on there way a few days later. I was surprised that one worked out, but the buyer held it and I figured I had paypal on my side.....

WatchingThemGrow
10-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I would just write it off. As far as being sure you get something, having cash and going quickly has always worked for me. Sometimes it is a pain, but for Kinderzeats at $60, I knew I better get moving...

In your initial email, if you really want the item, stress it. I would also ask them to let you know if someone else is planning on picking it up first.

KHF
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Agreed on the fact that getting there first is imperative! I snagged an excellent used condition Bugaboo Frog for $250 on our local Craigslist. The woman selling it told me there was a lady coming to look at it that night and the seller lived across the street from DD's daycare. I left work early that day, went to look at it, drove to the bank to get cash and bought it before the other lady even got a chance to get there to see it.

DrSally
10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
If I've been in contact with someone, setting a price and setting up a time, I will save it for them or at least tell them I have another interested party. If they've expressed a strong interest and we've set up a time, I won't sell it to someone else, but I think it's usually first come first serve with most people. If I really want something, I get over there with cash ASAP. It doesn't seem fair b/c she was the one who couldn't meet earlier.

bubbaray
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
First come first sold on CL IME. I have sold many baby items, usually strollers, on CL and always sell to the first person to show up at my door with the cash. I'm not a retailer and I don't "hold" items.

kijip
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
If I want something, I respond with days and times I can be there, cash in hand. I usually get the item the same day or the following day.