PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Retailers Unloading Toys Containing Pthalates Before Ban Goes Into Effect

citymama
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Excerpts from Wall Street Journal article on sales of toys containing pthalates. Full article at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122472242723860917.html (subscriber-only)

Toys Containing Banned Plastics Still on Market

In February, 25,000 rubber ducks in Craig Wolfe's inventory will be illegal to sell because they contain chemicals called phthalates, which some studies indicate harm early childhood development.

So the toy maker is liquidating what he can, discounting stock to stores that can place big orders. He hasn't destroyed the novelty ducks, he says, because he believes phthalates are safe. "We've never had any problems," he says.

Some provisions in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008:

Phthalates will be banned from children's products.
Products must be tested for safety before they are sold.
Consumers will have access to a database to learn about product complaints.
Violators of safety standards could face more significant civil penalties.The flood of ducks hitting the market now, along with other toys that contain phthalates, is an unintended consequence of a law aimed at avoiding potential hazards precisely like this one. [….]

Consumer advocates complain that the law has ended up sanctioning a grace period that allows toy makers to sell off soon-to-be banned toys, rather than forcing them to dispose of them. "This holiday season is going to be 'buyer beware,'" says Elizabeth Hitchcock of U.S. Public Interest Research Group.

Consumers will see "toys marked down at a discount without knowing that they contain a substance that will be banned in February," says Ms. Hitchcock. That could "present a tremendous danger," she says, because the lower prices will be all the more appealing to shoppers during an economic downturn.

brittone2
10-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for posting this!!

MamaMolly
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of this, expecting a lot of toys to be really cheap this holiday season. I don't really see it as a 'loophole' as much as an unfortunate 'duh'. People are greedy and buyer beware!

KpbS
10-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you for posting. Anyone know of a way/source to tell which toys are the worst offenders?

brittone2
10-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you for posting. Anyone know of a way/source to tell which toys are the worst offenders?

Do you mean just identifying toys more likely to contain phthalates?

If so, anything vinyl is generally suspect (the phthalates help make the vinyl "smooth" and soft). So the vast majority of baby dolls, for example, contain phthalates because the head/hands are usually vinyl. If a company doesn't specify phthalate-free and the toy has any vinyl, I would assume it likely contains phthalates.

Toys manufactured to European standards (where phthalates are more regulated) are less likely to contain phthalates.

DrSally
10-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I read this, I will be suspicious of Clearanced toys, although they can be hard to resist.

KpbS
10-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Do you mean just identifying toys more likely to contain phthalates?

If so, anything vinyl is generally suspect (the phthalates help make the vinyl "smooth" and soft). So the vast majority of baby dolls, for example, contain phthalates because the head/hands are usually vinyl. If a company doesn't specify phthalate-free and the toy has any vinyl, I would assume it likely contains phthalates.

Toys manufactured to European standards (where phthalates are more regulated) are less likely to contain phthalates.

Yes! That helps. Thank you!

brittone2
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I should also add the disclaimer that in the past, several companies listed their toys as phthalate-free, but when tested, the products still contained phthalates. In 2005 (I think?) 6 of 8 toys labeled phthalate-free still contained phthalates. The following year 2 of 10 toys labeled phthalate-free still contained phthalates. For that reason, we choose to minimize plastics when we can, or pick companies that have a good track record (Lego, Playmobil).

article on "phthalate-free" toys still containing phthalates:
http://www.uspirg.org/home/reports/report-archives/toy-safety/toy-safety-reports/trouble-in-toyland-21st-annual-toy-safety-survey

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Thank you for posting this!!! I went to a warehouse toy sale and saw a ton of "rubber ducks" and similar items 5 for $1.