PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tips for a 5YO using an inhaler?

fauve01
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
DD's got allergies that won't quit this week, along with persistent coughing. I took her in today because she hasn't slept with all the coughing and i don't want it to get worse. Since DD's on meds daily for allergies, the ped said let's go ahead and give her a breathing treatment and see if it helps. it did (doc said lungs sounded better), so we got an inhaler to take home.

now that we're home, anyone have tips for me to tell DD so we make sure we get the meds in her? we tried it just now and it's hard to tell if it went in, IYKWIM. or maybe since i can't tell that means it didn't go in?

one of her daily meds is a nose spray, so she's sort of used to exhaling and then inhaling the medicine in. but this is different because it's the mouth and not the nose.

we got the spacer thing too, if that makes a difference; looks like this: http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1197&eid=nextag&tid=nextag&bhcd2=1224803563 (http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1197&eid=nextag&tid=nextag&bhcd2=1224803563)

She just turned 5.

Thanks for any tips.
anne + DD 10-03

egoldber
10-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Did she keep the spacer on her face the whole time? Did you give a puff, slowly count 6 breaths, and then do the second puff, then slowly count 6 breaths. (Assuming the dose was 2 puffs.) If so, then it's fine. :)

MrsZaz
10-23-2008, 07:36 PM
My DS is 4 and has been using an inhaler with spacer for about a year. He knows to push the button (while connected to the spacer) and then to take 10 deep breaths to inhale the medicine. Our spacer has a little flap that bellows in and out when he breaths so I know he is breathing and not holding his breath while it's on his face.

Hope your DD feels better soon. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it.

Colleen

lablover
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
My DD has an inhaler that we sometimes have to use with colds. I usually watch the flap where the mask attaches to the chamber to make sure it's opening when she breathes in. If she's breathing slowly and deeply she should be good.

fauve01
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
THANKS for the tips! she did keep it on her face for about six breaths.

thanks.
anne