PDA

View Full Version : GPS You Love

emily_gracesmama
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
So sick of getting lost or getting crappy mapquest directions. Does anyone have a GPS they love, that wasn't crazy expensive? I think one that talks and tells you when to turn would be so great for me. Thanks in advance!

wencit
10-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 650, and I love it! You can get it shipped from Amazon right now for $200, which I think is a great price. It has the "text to speech" feature, which talks and tells you when to turn so that you can keep your eyes on the road. Lots of folks I know have been very happy with their Garmins.

HTH!

bubbaray
10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
I got my DH a Garmin for his b-day and he really likes it. I'd recommend a Garmin....

kep
10-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I also would stick with the Garmin family. They are a little expensive, but they have come down in price SO much over the last few years. I know Costco has had some great deals on Garmin's in the past. Can you check there?

KrystalS
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a Garmin, I love it. I got it at Costco for a great price. I can't remember which model I have though. The only thing I don't like is the battery doesn't last very long. I need to get a car charger I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I just make sure I bring it in the house to charge.

LD92599
10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I had the Garmin 650 and traded it for the Tom Tom 730. The Garmin is brighter and slimmer; the Tom Tom has alot more info on the bottom of the screen that's helpful.

Can't really go wrong w/ either of them BUT get an extended warranty if you can....my ext. warr came in handy several times over already!

Oh wait..so maybe the Garmin or Tom Tom aren't the way to go in that case :32:

kep
10-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I also wanted to add that with the Garmin, you can plug the GPS into your computer via one of those little cords (USB? :ROTFLMAO: ) every year and get the free software updates. You do still have to pay to get the upgraded version of the maps, but unless you live in a huge, rapidly changing urban environment, or you are planning a road trip, you probably can get by without paying. We have had ours for 4-5 years, and still haven't updated the maps.

MamaKath
10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Had a Garmin which I loved,got a TomTom which I love more. With either of them you have to pay to upgrade.

WatchingThemGrow
10-23-2008, 10:41 PM
My mom cheaped out and got the low-end Garmin that doesn't tell you the NAMES of the streets to turn on. It just says "turn left, turn left" and you're left sitting there going "NOW? or 50 feet ahead?"

They said they could have paid more for the one that tells street names. Isn't that nuts???

anamika
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
We had a Navigon one which was great -told us street names (this is the biggest feature I would look for) and was great at recalculating routes and all. It also had a traffic feature.
We went to the mall for a 10 min trip (just picking something up) so my uber-careful DH left it in the car. When we got back, someone had smashed the window and grabbed the GPS plus the charger cord too :32:. We had to wait 2 hrs for the police to come, DD was so upset .....it was a bit of a nightmare!
I never really believed it would be worth the risk to steal a GPS from a crowded mall but I guess it does happen. The cops told us not to attach it to the windshield either but to velcro it to the dash or something.

nfowife
10-24-2008, 01:16 AM
We have a TomTom and love it. We specifically went for a mid-range one because we were moving to Europe and needed one with European maps already loaded. So far it's worked great!

Neatfreak
10-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I also really like my Tom Tom ...

bethie_73
10-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi also. Love it. Sometimes it's annoying, but I think most have good and bad points. I bought it when we moved across country and it's been really helpful.

AngelaS
10-24-2008, 09:58 AM
DH and I each have a Garmin for our cars. I LOVE mine. I wish I'd bought it 3 years ago when I first moved. :)

This may sound crazy...but when I go garage salin'--I program in all the addresses and number them 1, 2 ,3 and it directs me from sale to sale to sale. :)

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
This may sound crazy...but when I go garage salin'--I program in all the addresses and number them 1, 2 ,3 and it directs me from sale to sale to sale. :)

That's exactly what DH said I should do for the 4 or 5 Saturdays/year I get to go!