PDA

View Full Version : Window film to help with cooling/heating

niccig
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
We were going to replace our windows because of lead paint on the sashes. But after looking at the options, we're thinking of restoring rather than replacing.

1. It's cheaper than new windows - $9,000 for replacing half the windows, we can restore all the windows for less than that.
2. Our city might not let us replace with vinyl because distract from the look of the house. We can not replicate the look of the 80 year old windows, especially the picture window.
3. Wood replacements are not as good quality wood as ours. They're 80 years old, but in excellent condition, no rotting, no water leaking. Everyone we've spoken to and research on replacements tell us that the replacements will not last as long as the original windows have. At some point the replacements will need to be replaced.
4. Lack of insulation in roof and in crawl space is bigger energy loss than our windows. Restoring windows will save enough that we can insulate better.

So, I've been reading about how to make our windows better. We're going to have them professionally stripped back to remove lead paint, re-glaze, repaint, weather strip. I've also been reading about interior storm windows and low E window film.

So, has anyone installed window film on their windows to help with heat/glare in summer and to decrease heat loss in winter? What brand did you use? Did you install yourself or have professionally installed? How difficult to install. Do you think it helps?

Thanks.

KBecks
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Are you talking about the little kids that are like shrink wrapping your windows? I don't know if the ones we used are Low E, but they are cheap and easy to use. You put what is basically double sided tape (in the kit) around the edge of the frame, lay the plastic over, and shrink it with a hair dryer (just don't touch the hair dryer to the plastic, it will make a hole). I think we have used 3M / Scotch but I think we've also used generic kits. We actually are going to wrap our windows this weekend if we can get to it. I have read that exterior wrapping is also good but I've never done that. I think its a different plastic and method.

I think it does help. My son's windows were never unwrapped for summer and I don't feel dtafts

HIU8
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
When I was growing up my parents could not ever afford to replace the windows. My room was in a corner and I had 3 windows that were on 2 sides of the house, so I always got a crosswind (even with windows closed) and it was always very cold in my room. My parents used that shrink wrap on all of my windows for the winter and it really worked. I remember my father tacking it to the edge of the window frame and then using a hair dryer to shrink it down. I don't know if that is what you are talking about?

niccig
10-24-2008, 02:50 PM
From what I am reading, you can shrink wrap with hair dryer or there's film that you mist and then use a squeegee to put on flat. I don't know if it's different or not.

I'm also looking at interior storms - they are a frame that has similar film and fit into the window on the inside and you take out in summer when don't need them - you can make your own or buy - but several of our windows have inside mount blind, so those can't have the interior storms, as the blind is in the way.

Just trying to find ways to keep our current windows - better for the planet to reuse, but also find a way to help increase efficiency. New windows are costly and won't work in the house.

KBecks
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
The only challenging area for us was our patio door, because the kids put holes in the film. For windows the kids can't get to I think it's very good.

HIU8
10-24-2008, 03:07 PM
A little off subject. In your original post I read that you are also going to be putting insulation in places where there isn't any. I have a 28 year old house in which they cut corners and used 2x3's instead of 2x4s in the crawl space above the kitchen/living room/dining room and in the attic space. We had an energy efficiency survey done of the entire house and found those two areas to be our worst offenders. 6 months ago we had both those spaces filled with an insulation that is blown into the space (along with a couple other things the company did to insulate in the garage etc...) and we have noticed a world of difference already. It was the best thing we have done in the 4.5 years that we have lived in the house (other than the copalum that had to be done immediately). It is so well worth it (our heating and airconditioning bills have already gotten lower).

trales
10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
We had the same issue with you with 8 windows in the front. It would have really ruined the look to replace them. So . . . paint was scraped, foam was blown into empty space around sashes, storm windows were purchased from Anderson and I shrink wrap both inside and out in the winter. It makes a huge difference. No drafts and what used to be the coldest room is as warm as the rooms with the brand new Anderson super energy efficient windows.

The shrink wrap is cheap and easy. I have tried numerous brands and don't find that one out performs the others. This year I went with Ace brand.

Ceepa
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
We use the window film with the hair dryer every year. In the spring when the kits go on huge discount we stock up for the following fall/winter.

writermama
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Dh installed UV blocking and Heat reducing window films on several windows in our house, including skylights. These are Gila films (he got them online, but I've seen similar at Lowes and Home Depot). They are not the same as the shrink-wrap used to prevent drafts.

The Gila films definitely work, they prevent fading and UV damage and they cut our air-conditioning bills significantly this summer. They are also difficult to install and leave wrinkles and bubbles. We can live with that in the locations where we have done this (windows that face the backyard).

We also had professional installation of Huper-Optik ceramic window films on the windows of our house that face the street. In contrast, the professional installation looks perfect, it's almost indetectible. The films we selected are UV blocking and highly heat resistant while being almost clear. Again they significantly reduced air-conditioning bills this summer.