PDA

View Full Version : New Highlander, Pilot, Rav-4 or other?

Mamma2004
10-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Our 10 y.o. Honda CR-V is looking like it needs to be replaced. We currently have a Highlander that we bought 5 years ago and as our second vehicle, we need to figure out what to buy pretty darned quickly.

Can anyone offer a review of the new/current models by Toyota, Honda or other comparable companies?

Thanks!

bubbaray
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, if you need or might need 3 across, strike the Rav4 off the list. It appears that 3 across is not possible in the Rav4.

What about a new CR-V? I really like them and someone here has one and got 3 across in it. I also really like the new Forester, but 3 across is not possible in that vehicle.

pinkmomagain
10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, from what I can see, the new Pilot is alot bigger than your other options. My DH recently looked at the Pilot and said that its really big...like the size of an Escalade.

Mamma2004
10-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, from what I can see, the new Pilot is alot bigger than your other options. My DH recently looked at the Pilot and said that its really big...like the size of an Escalade.

Thank you for that info - we don't need MORE of a gas guzzler! I guess we'll consider the Highlander, the RAV-4 and the CR-V for now. We don't need three across in the 2nd row so that helps. However, if we went with a Highlander that would become DS's mode of transportation and therefore, my vehicle. If we go with something smaller, I would keep the Highlander for DS and me and then DH would have the new car. Does that make sense???

Looking forward to more input - thank you!

crazydiamond
10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a 2006 pilot and like it very much. At the time it was larger than the Highlander. However, the Highlander has been redesigned and I think it has about the same interior space and gas mileage as the Pilot. Both are not too bad on gas mileage - for their size - using V6's and getting 18-20 MPG.

The new redesigned Subaru Forester is winning awards and top ratings for a small SUV edging out the CR-V and the RAV in some circles. I have an older forester and it is too small for my use now - but the new 2009 forester has been enlarged and looks very good. I will likely replace the old forester with the new larger forester sometime when the economy improves. The RAV would be my second choice in a smaller SUV. I don't like the CR-V.

Laurel
10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I just bought a new Highlander (2008). If you want to get a deal on a 2008, the time is now! There is a lot of 2008 stock sitting on car lots right now. We were very happy with the price we got on ours.

We looked at Pilots, but thought the newer ones were HUGE. We did consider a 2006 Pilot, but liked the feel of a Highlander better. It also gets better MPGs.

I never thought I would own an SUV, but I have been really loving this car!

I never considered a RAV, CRV, etc, because I wanted an optional 3rd row.

HTH, I'll check back to see if you have any questions for me.

ETA edmunds.com is a great place to compare cars.

willow33
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a subscription to consumer reports online and here are their quick pick recommendations. If you want more specific info on a particular SUV I can copy and past the info for you. HTH!!

Quick Picks
Best overall small SUVs:
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V

These provide all-around ability and good versatility. The RAV4 V6 is quick yet gets only 1 mpg less than the four-cylinder model.

For going off-road:
Nissan Xterra

It has a strong V6 engine and does well off-road.

Three-row SUVs for families:
Hyundai Santa Fe
Honda Pilot
Ford Taurus X
Saturn Outlook
GMC Acadia

The Santa Fe is quiet and offers an optional third-row seat. The three-row Pilot is a roomier vehicle and seats eight. The wagon-like Taurus X has a relatively roomy third row. Both the Outlook and Acadia seat eight comfortably, are relatively nimble and quiet, and ride well.

Sporty SUVs under $40,000:
Subaru Forester Sports
Acura RDX
Infiniti FX35

The Forester is well rounded but has a snug rear seat. The FX is very powerful and is a bit roomier. Both are being redesigned. The RDX has a very stiff ride.

Sporty SUVs over $40,000:
BMW X3

The X3 is agile but has a stiff ride.

Best luxury SUVs:
Lexus RX
Acura MDX

The RX is the most comfortable and refined in the class. The MDX is sportier and offers a third-row seat.

For towing and off-roading:
Lexus GX
Toyota 4Runner

The GX is a traditional truck-based design but is refined and capable for off-road and towing use. The 4Runner is a less expensive alternative.

Best full-sized SUVs:
Ford Expedition
Lincoln Navigator

These SUVs have comfortable third-row seats. The extended-length Expedition EL has added cargo room behind the third row.

pinkmomagain
10-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Just to comment on some of the consumer report cars that Willow listed, I drive the Lexus GX now. It's nice, but probably be a gas guzzler that the OP is looking to avoid. Prior, had a Lexus RX and I must say, it is my favorite car to drive. Loved it. No third row, but it is an SUV that drives like a car. I am trying to get my DH to get one to replace his leased car...even if it's preowned/certified. Can't say enough about Lexus reliability...for me, the LAST thing I want to do is bring my car in to get fixed because it won't drive....and I've never had to do that with a Lexus...just scheduled maintenance.

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I love my CRV and would likely get another if mine died. Since you already have a Highlander and this new car would potentially become your DH's, what is he thinking he'd like? My DH loves his Accord and salivates over new ones.

crazydiamond
10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a subscription to consumer reports online and here are their quick pick recommendations. If you want more specific info on a particular SUV I can copy and past the info for you. HTH!!

Quick Picks
Best overall small SUVs:
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V

I think CR now rates the new Forester above those two. From the CR site:

"The redesigned Forester is our new top-rated small SUV. Its cabin is quiet, with very good fit and finish and a roomy backseat. Safety equipment includes standard curtain air bags and stability control, and crash-test results are excellent. It has the most comfortable ride of any small SUV yet also has agile and secure handling"

But then again all the SUV's mentioned here - honda, toyota or subaru are good bets.

geochick
10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
We're looking at the Rav4...Limited Ed with the optional 3rd row. We only have 2 kids, but we want the added row for the few times a year when we have guests in our car with us. Rav gets great reviews and good gas mileage. Read about all your options on Edmunds.com

Good luck.

BaileyBea
10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
We recently went though this process. We were deciding between a Toyota RAV-4 and a Honda CRV. We even looked at the Subaru Forrester and Outback. We thought we were going to buy a CRV but after we test drove both the Rav-4 and CRV we changed out minds quick. The Rav-4 just "felt" better to us as drivers. Ergonomiclly things were right where they should be and it feel like a great comfortable ride.

Here's what we decided on and why:
We chose a Toyota Rav-4. The best time to buy a new car is on the last day of the year. So you will get your best price in Oct on Oct 31st. We had a lot of negotiation room since they really wanted to meet their Oct numbers.

Pro's for the Rav-4
Gas milage
OMG this car is well designed.... So I am going to gloat about all those girly features and Mom features I like so much.

1) You can move the back seat area up and back. This was great when we went on a long trip recently. We moved the back seats up a bit and had more room in the back for the luggage and stroller.

2) Let's talk the "TRUNK" area. Ours came with nets and a pull shade so you can hide items in the back if you want to. Also these long bars are easily stored in the storage area below the trunk floor board. Okay now lift the floor boards and OMG! You have tons of room in there. I have all my emergency equipment in there and there are tiny storage areas all over the back for all the little things. The storage area was deep enough for me to put 2.. TWO.. Yep TWO large birthday cakes and drive them back home 14 miles from the Baker's shop. WHOOO HOOO! They got to the party safe and sound. They didn't move around too much. I then closed the trunk floorboard and filled the back of the truck with all types of other stuff for the party. WOW! This ROCKED!

2) Backseat.. they have a cup holder area on the bottom area of the door. Which I put the kids Klean Kanteens in. I have 2 Britax Regent Seats for the kids and a basket of toys in between their seats. The back of the front seats also have a nice pocket for items but in my car I have back seat protectors at the moment. That will change in the next couple of years I am sure and I think the kids will like grabbing books from the pocket.

3) Front Seat area - Great seats. Nice and comfy! I love the look of the dash. It looks just so finished (I love the feel of the dashboard) and well done, not as industrial looking as the CR-V. I love the storage space in the front. Two front dashboard storage areas. I have insurance and maps in the small compartment and the owners manual and kleenex in the 2nd. Okay the storage area between the driver and passenger seat ROCKS. There are two different sections. I keep pens and pencils in one and in the other you can hide your IPOD. There is a connection there for your stereo and a AC Adapter for power. This ROCKS so much. I feel much safer knowing my IPOD is clearly out of view. Even when I forget about it. I love the cup holders. They have a rubber thing on the inside that comes out and is easy to wash and keep clean. I love the storage along the doors. I use them all the time. I love the gear change on the floor board vs the Dash (like the CRV). I liked the storage space under the radio. It's tucked in and deep enough for lots of bulky stuff like my big eye glasses case. Speaking of eye glasses.... The sunglass holder at the top roof area is nice too. I recently started getting into the habit of using this.

I love the look and feel of the dash and how the lights light up and how easy everything is to find.

4) I love the size of the car. It doesn't feel small but it doesn't feel like my old tanker 4-Runner either. It's a good thing!

5) Safety ratings and air bags are awesome! I had a light turn on to tell me my tire was low on air the other day. That is a great feature that will not only save your life but save you $$ on gas. I like the wipers and the frequency of them. I know this is a silly thing to think about but I curse at my DH's windsheild wipers all the time.

I love this car! LOVE IT! Very bias review.. sorry!

HTH!
Nancy

american_mama
10-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I recommend my car, the Ford Taurus X which competes with the Toyota Highlander. Consumer Reports recommended it. The Ford is a 6 or 7 passenger vehicle, depending on whether you get a bench or two bucket seats in the second row. My gas mileage is 18-20 mpg city, 24-29 highway which I am very pleased with. (I have a FWD with the smaller 2007 engine, so YMMV quite literally depending on the model specifics).

Fords do not have the re-sale of Toyota, of course, but we plan to keep our car for 10ish years, so re-sale didn't matter as much to us. The model has been around for 4 or 5 years and reliability has been a bit better than average, as I recall from Consumer Reports. Lastly, Ford is really hurting now and offers a lot of great financing. We have an interest free loan from Ford Motor Company (0% APR) for 5 years.

The Highlander did drive a lot better than the Ford and had a nicer interior, but it did not have the functionality for us, especially in the third row. The Ford third row is very comfortable - I can sit there easily and would take an hour or more trip there - and the cargo area behind the third row have good space.