PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming ideas for Kindy birthday party

bnme
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM
My DS will be turning 6 in January. He is in Kindergarten. We usually have family birthday parties at home with family and close family friends (his age). More of a casual all afternoon get-together for lunch and cake. I usually have a simple planned activity but the kids just all play together.

Now that he is older and making more of his own friends I'd like to have a friends-only party. Most of the parties we have been to have been out. Some have been large friend parties at home in the warmer months (so outside activities).

I am thinking of inviting between 10-15 kids, mostly 5 and 6 yearolds. I'd prefer to have a home party but I am at a loss for planning activities for a home party for a bunch of 5 & 6-year-old active boys that's indoors only! Some choices for places out are:

-Bowling

-An indoor play place called Wood Kingdom which is basically a local swing set manufacturers show room (like Rainbow sets) that you can rent out for parties. Has about 7 huge play sets. Very popular (and one of the least costly) but not sure if more geared for preschool?)

-Chuck E. Cheese

WWYD? What have you done? I'd love to just get some other ideas of the parties you are giving or going to for kindergarteners.

wendmatt
10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I asked DD and she said she would really like a party at that place with the play areas, wish there was one round here. We are doing bowling this birthday (Nov) for her 6th b-day. We've been to a few b-days there and the kids enjoy it. Chuckecheese is just so noisy and busy and I feel like the kids don't even get to hang out together as they all go off and play the games. They do love it but I'd rather just take DD there for a family thing or with one friend. The other thing we considered was at a bouncy play area but they are $260 so pretty pricey, but great fun.

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
When ds turned 6 that was the 1st time we did an out of the house party. We invited his whole class to a gymnastics' party and it was a lot of fun. After 5 years of home parties it was kind of nice to go somewhere new. :) I still made the cake and other personal touches.

At home, maybe a mock sleepover? Pizza, movie, home by 9?

I bet they could find lots of fun things to do even without much structure at home. YOu could do simple games like musical chairs and other classics from our youth (pin the tail...).

Beth

KpbS
10-24-2008, 08:37 PM
My DS1 is younger than yours but I think the indoor play place w/ swing sets/play equipment sounds very fun. That time of year especially the kiddos will be needing to burn off some energy and if it fits your budget I say go for it. The pizza, movie, games route also sounds fun but 15 boys is a lot under 1 roof! I think if I chose a party at home I'd limit it to 5-10 max. including DS. What about bingo for prizes (big candy bars)? Have fun

bnme
10-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the ideas. We have a gymnastics place around here that has a cool looking gym for kids that I didn't think of. And also a sports place, not sure what they do.

I love the idea of a mock-sleepover! Maybe for when I know the kids better or a smaller group. But I know my DS would think it was cool. Popcorn, movie and maybe a craft or board games...

Hmm...lots to think about.
Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I was just on Family Fun looking for recipes when I noticed the "birthday parties by age" page and thought that ight be helpful to you:
http://familyfun.go.com/parties/parties-by-age/specialfeature/6to8-birthday-parties/6to8-birthday-parties.html

Beth

twobabes
10-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Love some of the ideas on that site!

What's the most kids you'd be willing to have at a home party? I like the parties at home, but I'm never sure how many kids I can pack in (winter birthdays, so no sending them outside).

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Me again. :)

I just got back from an at-home 6yo b-day party. There looked to be 10 invited guests PLUS at least that many siblings. Most parents stayed too. They hired a balloon artist and had a craft out. For 2 hours the kids either waited in line for new balloons or ran around and played. They had a ton of fun. yes, the house was a bit full but the kids didn't care at all (I asked ds :)). It was a nice reminder that a home birthday party, indoors only, with a lot of kids and not a lot of structure can really be a fun time for everyone!

Beth

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 04:05 PM
What does DC want to do? Some kids have very specific ideas and others would rather do a bigger activity with immediate family. Keep it simple and within your budget!

We have done a party at Wendy's which was great. They let us bring cake, decorations, and a simple craft (foam craft with self stickies). We ordered a lunch for each kid. It was great!

We did a party at a national historic site for dd. She picked it, they did a tour, age appropriate activities, and let us serve cake/ice cream/ do a craft on their premises. It was free also for their part, though we did make a donation to them.

Build-a-bear does parties starting at maybe $12 a kid. DD had a friend who set a budget then adjusted it for the number of kids who were able to come (so let those kids get a more expensive item).

Some kids don't care for parties- dd wanted to travel to visit her godmother and go to a specific place with her this past year; ds wants to go to the zoo this year.

bnme
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I think DS wants a party like Chuck E. Cheese or similar simply because that is what most other parties we go to are like. And of course the kids have fun at these place, but at some (like CEC) I think they have so little interaction with each other it is kinda pointless. He has been happy with his home parties with close friends/family and we always do something special, just the 4 of us, on the actual b-day (like mini golf or Fun 4 All).

I think I could plan something really fun at home for friends IF his b-day wasn't in January. I am leaning towards the indoor play place--the swingset showroom. I like it because you have the whole place to yourself so the kids will all be together. I may give him a choice of that or something 'extra' fun as a family like Great Wolf (haven't been yet) or more likely something a little less pricey. But not sure if I want to start that as a trend either.

I am also on the fence about how to handle invites. In preschool kids who had friends parties like these simply invited the whole class. Not sure what the protocol is in Kindy and I don't want to be the one to set the trend on inviting the whole clas IYKWIM. I could also do boys only from school, or just who he chooses. Not really sure how to handle since it is a whole new group since preschool.

Beth, I think your post is an excellent reminder that it is possible to do at home. I have to really try and think a bit harder. And thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Still thinking.....

Momof2mess
10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
We just did our sons at the local Field House (indoor soccer fields). For $145 it included 1 hour of coached activities on the field, an hour in the party room, 2 cheese pizzas, 2 pitchers of refillable soda, all plates/cups/napkins/forks, for 10 kids. I brought in a store bought cake. It was quick, easy, and fun! Everyone was in and our in 2 hours, and my house and his toys were not destroyed.

Percycat
10-30-2008, 02:41 PM
We are in the same boat planning a bday party for our kindergarten DS in December. DS originally wanted to have a bowling party, but now we are leaning towards having a Lego party at our home. There are a lot of suggestions for lego party activities on the internet. I think the party will be easy to plan and a lot of fun.

We are having the same difficulty deciding who to invite. DS's school has 8 kindergarten classes and he has friends in several of the classes. I originally thought we would invite all the boys in his class, but now know that he plays with kids from other classes more and has special classes with kids from the other classes too.

It has been interesting talking to DS about what he wants to do for his birthday party. His ideas were originally limited to what he has experienced, but once we started brainstorming, he came up with a lot of creative ideas and ultimately settled on the lego party.

I hope you all have fun planning your B-day celebrations.
angela