PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the Brooke Shields/Volkswagon commercials?

JMS
10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Am I missing something obvious with the "babies of German engineering"?

KrisM
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I just now saw one and wondered what I missed.

All I've come with is that the VW is so safe, it's where you should put your kids. So, people are getting pregnant so they have a reason to buy the VW.

overcome
10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
So, people are getting pregnant so they have a reason to buy the VW.

Yep. That was what I interpreted it to be. Still, not too clever, just weird to me.

dcmom2b3
10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't really get it either. I kept thinking if I had no kids and wanted German engineering, I'd buy a BMW convertible . . .

JMS
10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys.. I still don't really get the marketing angle and think it's more strange then clever.

Davids-Coco
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, its something about not having kids just so that you can buy the VW minivan... pretty dorky if you ask me.

Rainbows&Roses
10-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I seriously hate those commercials. They really bug me because they are just dumb and having suffered secondary infertility, something just rubs me the wrong way about them.

dcmom2b3
10-25-2008, 10:35 PM
. . . having suffered secondary infertility, something just rubs me the wrong way about them.

I'm sure you're not alone in feeling that way. They're flippant. I can't put my finger on why, but I'm kinda surprised that Brooke Shields went for this.

JMS
10-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm sure you're not alone in feeling that way. They're flippant. I can't put my finger on why, but I'm kinda surprised that Brooke Shields went for this.

Ok.. just saw a new version of the commercial where the message is actually stated by BS while she is riding in the backseat and I completely agree with you both. It's almost as if they are making light of the whole "get pregnant, have a baby" thing. Like it's just a kid, but hey you could get super duper lucky and get a new car out of the deal. What better reason to have a baby? In fact, do you even need another reason at all? What happens with twins, a jet plane? Kinda bad analogy, I'm tired :)

Rainbows&Roses
10-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Yes I am surprised she is doing them too. I can't really put my finger on it either as I am not normally that sensitive about my infertility, but this just pushes some button!

DrSally
10-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it's meant to be funny, but I don't like them.

daniele_ut
10-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Of course, if you wanted German engineering, why would you buy a restyled Dodge Minivan from VW? My VW mechanic told me that's all it is.

Even though I was a loyal VW owner for 10 years, I think the new ad campaign is absurd.

KpbS
10-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I guess they are supposed to be funny but I think they are just bizarre. Definitely not funny.

s7714
10-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I really don't like those commercials either. They're just overly weird. The way Brooke comes across is very Stepford Wives "have more babies and join our car cult" kind of disturbing. I know they're supposed to be tongue in cheek, but I don't find them funny in the slightest.

kijip
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I have mostly just seen the marketing online and I think it is truly dumb. Really, really dumb.

One, I don't have a baby for a bigger car.

Two, I don't get a bigger car when I have a baby.

Three, having a baby makes me considerably less able to afford a new car, if I am being realistic about my budget in the long term, factoring education and healthcare costs plus the possible need for larger housing.

heidiann
10-26-2008, 01:12 AM
I seriously hate those commercials. They really bug me because they are just dumb and having suffered secondary infertility, something just rubs me the wrong way about them.

You are not alone, I have seriously considered sending them an email. For us who suffer from infertility those commericals really IRK me to no end

Ceepa
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Dissenting opinion here.

Both DH and I think they're funny. I chuckle every time at Brooke's deadpan delivery.

"...having a baby with a man she barely knows."

"I'm her husband."

They're different than other those lame commercials of the family piling into the minivan and driving on some grand adventure as touching music plays with violins straining, wind blowing through everyone's hair.

Octobermommy
10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
They are absolutely horrible coming from someone with infertility and for Brooke Shields to have had 7 ( i think that is the correct number) IVFs to get pg with her first dd you think she would have more sense. I guess money is the driving force behind that decision. She also endorses colgate and did the formula (even though at the time her dd was mainly breastfed)

No VW for me even if I wanted one I would not buy it now b/c of these commercials. They are *not* funny.

fivi2
10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Dissenting opinion here.

Both DH and I think they're funny. I chuckle every time at Brooke's deadpan delivery.

"I'm her husband."

They're different than other those lame commercials of the family piling into the minivan and driving on some grand adventure as touching music plays with violins straining, wind blowing through everyone's hair.

I agree. I think the one you are quoting was the first one and it still cracks me up every time.
The others are kind of meh, but I like that first one...

mytwoboys
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I too agree that as someone who suffered through IF, those commercials bother me each and every time I see them.

lizajane
10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Dissenting opinion here.

"I'm her husband."

i am truly sorry that they hurt those who suffer infertility. i did think of that when i saw them.

that said, and sincerely said, i think they are freakin' hilarious. total voice of dissent. but the concept is: the VW minivan is a rockin' car, even though the "minivan" has a dorky stigma. because of the stigma, people feel that they need KIDS to have a minivan, because minivans are "mom/dad cars." so the joke is, don't have a kid just so you can have an excuse to drive a minivan and not feel like a dork.

i love VWs, had a jetta, and think the mini is probably an awesome car. so maybe i am biased toward VW. but the deadpan delivery and the dad commenting in the background... cracks me up. the other one i think of is, "reversing vasectomies... and the dad... "i didn't have anything reversed." while the mom is holding a new baby.

seriously, so sorry they are offensive to many. please don't think i don't consider your feelings, because i do. as someone who worked in adverstising (and maybe this is why i "get it" and other don't) i can see the fight going on between the agency and the focus groups about that issue...

BillK
10-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Having lived through 5 years of unexplained infertility and 5 unsuccessful IVF's - I'm even more annoyed that they're trying to pass off a Chrysler Town and Country as a VW!

Fairy
10-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Dissenting opinion here.

"I'm her husband."

Me, too. I thought dichotomy of the deadpan delivery of truly ridiculous statements with the unsespecting couple just trying to buy a car and are like, "what, now?" was funny.

There's another one with my fave, Leonard Nimoy, which isn't as funny, but is in that same style. It's an interesting campaign. For me, they're amusing.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I guess I never thought of them from an infertility standpoint. I am sorry that the ads are hurtful to some of our families.

Dh and I think they are odd but that one people have mentioned most makes us laugh. When she turns to the mom to be and asks her her name then turns back to the camera and says, "Please, don't be like Becky," we get a chuckle out of it.

Beth

cheaperthanmost
10-26-2008, 11:00 PM
In my way of thinking it was a successful campaign, because everyone is at least talking about it. right?

JoyNChrist
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Dissenting opinion here.

"I'm her husband."

I think they're hilarious too.

I guess I took it more like Liza said - minivans are mom and dad cars, but these are so cool that everyone will want one...so don't have a baby just so you can drive a cool minivan. I dunno...I just like that they're different and they appeal to my sense of humor.

We've had a hard time TTC #2 (3 m/c's, currently on a break) and I don't find them offensive at all. However, I know I'm nowhere near as far down the infertility road as some people are, and I'm truly sorry that some people are bothered by these commercials. It's not fun being reminded of IF or feeling like it's treated insensitively.

bubbaray
10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Having lived through 5 years of unexplained infertility and 5 unsuccessful IVF's - I'm even more annoyed that they're trying to pass off a Chrysler Town and Country as a VW!

:yeahthat:

I haven't seen the TV ads (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qL_9Gmonuo)is what I think everyone might be talking about), but that was my first thought when I saw them -- that's a freakin' T&C! But, I thought Chrysler was in bed with Daimler, which is Mercedes, not VW??? Whatever.

I had a VW Cabriolet for 13yrs. VWs are waaaay too quirky to have as a minivan -- I want reliability, not quirkiness, LOL.

As for the ad, I thought it was weird. I'm wondering if the script was intended for a European audience? Their TV ads are often strange by North American standards.

american_mama
10-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't like the one with her in the white skirt and off-white top, seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18gHyvQkbnc&feature=related

Silly and I think the fashion stinks. Brooke does not look good in that skirt and belt.

ilfaith
10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Hmm. When I think of German engineering and having babies, my first thought is of Hitler's master plan and Dr. Mengele's experiments.

So yes...I do find these commercials extremely creepy and offensive.

boolady
10-27-2008, 09:37 AM

DH and I can't stand them, and although have not dealt with fertility issues, many of our friends have, it was the first thought that I had the first time I saw one of these ads.

DietCokeLover
10-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I just plain don't get them.

crayonblue
10-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I've had infertility issues and I actually think they are funny! We spent some time in Europe many moons ago and the commercials seem very European to me.

Most car commercials don't catch my attention at all so I like these.