PDA

View Full Version : Say It Isn't So! Leg Warmers - AAAHHH!!!

randomkid
10-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Dating myself here, but I didn't like leg warmers the first time around and it looks like they might be making a come back - NOOOOoooooo.....

From this week's Target ad

http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_rppi/550.0.90.0/target/large/081026_p22al_w6lhj.jpg

Wife_and_mommy
10-26-2008, 09:08 AM
The things one will do to be trendy. That is so not attractive. :barf:

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2008, 09:12 AM
The View was on the other day by default in my house and I noticed some fashion show on there. I got surprised when I saw stirrup pants. I guess all fashion really is cyclical.

The funny things about the leg warmers is my friend recently expressed an interest in Baby Legs for herself. Looks like her request has been granted. :)

Beth

Asianmommy
10-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't wear them myself now, but I think they're cute for my daughters, who LOVE to wear dresses.

Sopamanda
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I saw them to and exclaimed to DH "Ohmygod. Legwarmers are back".

There are some trends that just do not do me any favors...

lizajane
10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
i think they are cute... for CHILDREN. seriously. when i wore them in the 80's (SO HANDY with a dress in the winter!!!!) my MOM was wearing them with her maternity jumper. she is so short and was SO pregnant that pants just didn't fit her right. but my brother is a feb baby, so it was cold. she wore the same jumper and leg warmers every freakin' day and i was SO EMBARRASSED!!! (i was 9, my brother is almost 10 years younger than me.)

g-mama
10-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I saw them on gap.com yesterday and was horrified. YUCK! I grew up as a child of the '80s and hope they do not make a comeback. At least for women.

kijip
10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
For out and about, heeelllllll no. Unless out is standing outside of ballet class waiting for your section!

For in my getting chilly house? Why the heck not. ;)

Ceepa
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Legwarmers? Um, no. Already BTDT. I had striped ones that were horrible. But what did I know, I used to tie a scarf around my pants at knee level, too. :shake:

But now I love knee-high socks and even OTK ones in the cold weather under pants or under knee-high boots.

Melaine
10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I saw that too! I was suprised, but then again, I LOVE babylegs for the girls. And I was thinking about buying some black/white ones for myself, but only because I HATE hose.

gatorsmom
10-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Um, I was just thinking the other day that I would like some for me. But let me tell you how i"d wear them. Last year I bought some tall boots that are loose around my calves unless I wear them with jeans shoved in. I really like the boots- they are a very nice leather and are water proof so they will be great protecting my jeans from snow and slush when I'm picking up the kids from preschool everyday (yes, I'll have to get out and walk up to the school). But occasionally (especially laundry days) I like to wear skirts and would like to wear the boots with them but they are too loose around my calves. They don't have fur liner in them. Soooo, I was thinking that if I had legwarmers shoved in the boots around my ankles so that only the tops peeked out of the boots, that that could be a cute way of wearing my boots. The thought is that I'd wear tights and then the leg warmers would only provide a tiny hint of color peeking out of the boots. i haven't tried this out to see what it would look like but it seems like it would be a good way to keep the cold out of my unlined boots.

Melaine
10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Lisa, I think that would look cute!

Ceepa
10-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Lisa,

You can also have a cobbler look at them. Often boots can be taken in to tighten the shafts. That way you could wear some cute, thick tights to keep your legs warm, but the boots wouldn't gap allowing in the chilly air.

gatorsmom
10-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Lisa,

You can also have a cobbler look at them. Often boots can be taken in to tighten the shafts. That way you could wear some cute, thick tights to keep your legs warm, but the boots wouldn't gap allowing in the chilly air.

I did think about that, but I primarily want to wear the boots with jeans and just occasionally with a skirt. So I'm afraid if I took them to a cobbler they'd make them too tight for jeans, kwim? And with all these cute leg warmers coming out.....ha ha. I thought I found an easy answer to my problem. :)

kboyle
10-26-2008, 12:55 PM
honestly, i've worn them out when i've had skirts on and then taken them off when i've gotten in to the place i'm going. i LOVE wearing skirts, but i live in cleveland and it's COLD outside, i'll wear my winter boots & knee high socks or legwarmers when travelling & then change to dress shoes when i reach my destination.

better than freezing or falling due to slick high heeled boots, no need to get my nice shoes ruined by salt from the road.

stir-up pants...no.

legwarmers...i'll admit, i'm a huge fan :)

and lisa, i have the same problem with a couple of my boots and i wear knee high socks with my taller pair and just longer trouser type socks with my other pair & let the tops peek out. dh laughs at me i have a HUGE knee high sock collection, i started the leg warmer thing 2 winters ago, so my collection isn't huge, just a blk & pink pair :)

dcmom2b3
10-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Now where did I put those pink Reebok high-tops? . . . . oh, there they are, under the ripped sweatshirt.

OK, I'm ready! For the insane asylum! Gah!

linsei
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
That blue leopard print combo should be illegal. Seriously.

ThreeofUs
10-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but in our climate with skirts, they sound like heaven to me.

But then, I used to be a dancer and have no shame about wearing such things. I mean, you wear a dance outfit rushing out of the house one too many times and you forget to blush any more....

fivi2
10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I think they are cute for kids. For me, I'll stick to tights or fun knee high socks. It just isn't flattering for me to bulk up that part of my leg. I did LOVE them when I was young (and not just for dance class...)

SammyeGail
10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
The View was on the other day by default in my house and I noticed some fashion show on there. I got surprised when I saw stirrup pants. I guess all fashion really is cyclical.

The funny things about the leg warmers is my friend recently expressed an interest in Baby Legs for herself. Looks like her request has been granted. :)

Beth

OMG. Do you notice the hot pink tights are like stirrups!!! Gag me with a spoon!

Samantha

bubbaray
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes. I saw them this weekend at Lululemon and had to cover my mouth. They were horrid the first time around. However, if they are "lulu" legwarmers, I guess they *must* be cool.

hellokitty
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
OK, I hated leg warmers the first time around. However, I have to admit that I have been looking for them for the past few yrs and am glad that they are back, for practical reasons. :duck: I think b/c I'm starting to get old, my legs get cold really easily. For the past few yrs, I've been wishing that I could find a pr of leg warmers. I even thought about cutting off the arms off of an old sweater and converting them into leg warmers or something. I'm actually going to go to target and get a pr (I bet they will look a lot nicer that the fugly ones my mom bought me when I was in 3rd grade) to wear around the house. I don't think I will have the nerve to wear them outside the house unless I'm wearing a skirt or something (I'm in OH, so it is bitterly cold in the winter and we get a ton of snow). My kids have outgrown their babylegs, but I will be using those for my arms, b/c my arms get cold easily too. Aging sucks.

crayonblue
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Leg warmers- maybe under pants or something to keep my legs warm.

Stir-up pants- NO WAY. No need to make my bum bigger looking.

LexyLou
10-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok, I don't think I'd wear them again but COME ON! You know you loved them in the 80's...didn't you, or am I the only one? God, I have 8 million pictures of me in leg warmers.

CAM7
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Oh goodness. Those bright orange ones? Anyone ever try to wear the mid thigh high ones? You have to have legs like a stick insect otherwise they 'bulge'... attractive...

kijip
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Stir-up pants- NO WAY. No need to make my bum bigger looking.

The very word stirrup pants makes me shudder.

:ROTFLMAO:

randomkid
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I've really enjoyed reading all the responses here - you all crack me up!

I think it's funny that some of you liked and wore them in the 80s. I am proud to say that I never owned one pair - couldn't stand them then and shudder to see them return. Of course, it doesn't get that cold here, so I might feel differently if I lived somewhere cold.

BTW, can someone please explain the concept behind wearing legwarmers, but no socks? Even some of those feet in that pic are wearing sandals - no legwarmers with the sandals, but still...

kijip
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM
BTW, can someone please explain the concept behind wearing legwarmers, but no socks?

I think it is unexplainable. If it's cold, it's cold...if it is not, it's not. Perhaps we should blame jelly sandals for it? That is the image that pops into my head. Ack, I hope jelly sandals don't come back. Blisters. Ugh.

Wife_and_mommy
10-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Ack, I hope jelly sandals don't come back. Blisters. Ugh.

LOL. DD has a pair that she *loves*. I remember the blisters too.:ROTFLMAO:

JoyNChrist
10-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I was born, raised, still live and will probably die in southwest Louisiana.

The concept of being that cold is foreign to me. :p

And Katie, I'm pretty sure I saw adult-sized jelly sandals in Target this summer. God help us all.

kijip
10-27-2008, 01:17 AM
LOL. DD has a pair that she *loves*. I remember the blisters too.:ROTFLMAO:

I always had a pair as a little girl but found bare feet much more comfy!

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
it looks like they might be making a come back - NOOOOoooooo......
LOL!!! I was looking through the same circular at my parents house and sad the same thing to my stepmom. Funny how things really do come back!

And creepy at times!:ROTFLMAO:

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Ack, I hope jelly sandals don't come back. Blisters. Ugh.

OMGoodness this was what I kept saying to dd this summer- Blisters!!! I was horrified to see them come back this year.