PDA

View Full Version : Chili?

DietCokeLover
10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
It's starting to get cold here and I'm craving warm comfort foods. Anyone have a good chili recipe they'd like to share?

boolady
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
This is a recipe I've used a bunch of times. I usually make it with ground turkey as written, but I've made it with ground beef, soy Gimme Lean meat substitute, whatever's on hand, and it always turns out well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8974253/

MMMommy
10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Here is our family recipe. I put a ton of cayenne b/c I love, love, love spicy foods. But obviously our kids can't eat it due to the spicy factor. You can always make it mild or not spicy at all.

Black Bean and Beef Chili

Ingredients
2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)

4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp seasoned salt
cayenne pepper (to taste if you like it spicy!)
3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions
1. Brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside.

2. Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onion. Saute until softened. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients, except beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Add black beans; simmer 20 minutes. Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese and chopped raw onions, if desired.

boolady
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Here is our family recipe. I put a ton of cayenne b/c I love, love, love spicy foods. But obviously our kids can't eat it due to the spicy factor. You can always make it mild or not spicy at all.

Black Bean and Beef Chili

Ingredients
2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)

4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp seasoned salt
cayenne pepper (to taste if you like it spicy!)
3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions
1. Brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside.

2. Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onion. Saute until softened. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients, except beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Add black beans; simmer 20 minutes. Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese and chopped raw onions, if desired.

Mmmmm! This sounds really good. We're hosting game night tomorrow night with a few other couples...I might have to give this one a whirl. Thanks!

fivi2
10-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I got a turkey chili recipe off of MDC a year or two ago that is good. I have made a few changes. It is pretty spicy. You can search over there for Mimi's turkey chili, but this is they way we do it:

saute onion and garlic (I do a whole onion and a lot of garlic) in olive oil until start to soften. (I sometimes add a fresh jalapeno at this stage).
Add ground turkey and brown. Do not drain.

Add beans - I use pinto and black. The original called for hot chili beans - I am not familiar with those. (we don't like kidney beans, but those would be fine. Any beans you like.)
Add spicy V8 - I do a little less than 64 ounces with 1.25 lbs of ground turkey and 4 cans of beans - it makes a ton.
You can add bell pepper - I don't because I don't like it, but we do sometimes add some Ro-tel if we have it.
I usually add some pepper, chili pwder, cumin, and cayenne. No set amount, just whatever you like.

Simmer with the lid on for 30-60 minutes and then simmer with lid partway on until you like the consistency. We simmer as long as we can.

Sorry my amounts are fuzzy - I just kind of throw things in. We like it really spicy - this is way too hot for our kids. But it is good!

DietCokeLover
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
These are sounding great. I'm getting hungry. Thanks for the suggestions.