PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Need New Roof

Fairy
10-27-2008, 02:21 PM
We are in desperate need for a new roof. We called three roofers to please come and give estimates. Here in Chicago, we'd just had massive, flooding rains as a result of the hurricanes in the Texarcana area. So, the roofers were really busy. I really wanted to go word of mouth on this and not just call someone in the phone book. Of the three who came highly recommended, one walked the roof and ballparked it and said he'd send us the written estimate "tomorrow." That was a month ago. One never called back after repeated phone calls (three). One gave us an estimate, and they seem pretty darn good. But it's our only estimate, and it's $2k more than the "ballpark" estimate -- not written -- of the guy that never dropped it off "tomorrow."

It's getting cold. 42 degrees today alone. What would you do? Would you go with the one company, or would you find at least one more estimate? We CANNOT wait. The roof must go. Will not survive the winter.

Thoughts?

ps -- Chicagoans, if you ahve recommendation, I'll take it. We will not call "Lindholm" or "Affordable."

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Can you get other recommendations? What about calling a few local roofers and asking for the names of people in your neighborhood they have done that you could speak to?

We had to have our roof done last year. We chose a local family owned business. They gave us the name of 2 neighbors (across our street and right next store) to speak too. Both were very happy. We also talked to the roofers about what options were available to keep our costs down. Their estimate was slightly higher than another we got, but it included a ridge vent, a few extra joints due to the architecture of the house, and removal of all debris.

My mom had hers done a few years ago. A few people gave her verbal estimates, but they really didn't want to do the work. She has a difficult roof! When she tried to track them down, nothing. She went with someone who gave a written, gave a warranty, and was higher than the others. She has needed warranty work done and was relieved she went with the one that was reachable!

Neither of us are in Chicago so can't help there. Good luck!!!

Nooknookmom
10-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Definately get another bid or 2, call outside your *area* if need be. I worked in roofing for almost 10 years and they can be notorious for scamming/overbidding esp. if they sense that you a. need it now, b. won't get other bids.

I grew up in Chicagoland, where are you? In the city or suburbs?

Fairy
10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Trina, just PM'd you.

The thing is that I've already called everyone recommended to me. But deep down, I know I probably need another bid or two. Crap. I will make some cold calls and ask for the references.

I WANT THIS OVER.

Rainbows&Roses
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Join Angies List. We found our roofer through them.
http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

MamaKath
10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
The thing is that I've already called everyone recommended to me. But deep down, I know I probably need another bid or two. Crap. I will make some cold calls and ask for the references.

Trina is right, don't sound desparate!!! Another bid or two will also give you a bit of leverage to ask about the one you have. (Why is yours this high, what does it include, etc?) Also make sure you ask for references and contact them as well as drive by them (sometimes they give you a name, but when you drive by you realize it is bogus).

BillK
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Try calling your insurance agent to see if they have any reputable roofers insured. I have a several roofers insured that I've had good experiences with and I frequently give out their names to other clients that need roof work.

egoldber
10-27-2008, 03:44 PM
You could also ask a realtor if you know one that you trust.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-27-2008, 06:08 PM
We've never dealt with this personnally but I would imagine that the website for the holmes on homes show would have some good hints. Good luck.

ThreeofUs
10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Have you accessed Angie's List or (as pp's have said) a realtor you trust?

Fairy
10-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I gave in and joined Angie's List. I got a deal! Found a coupon code online that waived the $15 one time registration fee, so it cost $8.75 for the month. Then we'll re-evaluate next month. In the meantime, thanks for the advice, everyone, I appreciate it. I did make two more appt's for estimates. One coming tomorrow, one wed. They called RIGHT back, too. Unlike the two out of three that I tried the first time. And they said they give estimates on the spot,w hich is unlike the otehr three, too.

I'm gonna call the Insurance agent. Ya never know.

Thank you, everyone.