PDA

View Full Version : She wants a guitar...

StantonHyde
10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
DD is very musical and she really wants a guitar. Now she will be 3.5 yrs at Christmas, so I am not thinking a real guitar--more like a fake electric guitar that lets her strum the cords to produce sounds and it also plays a couple of songs. I have seen a Hannah Montana one and I think they make a Barbie one. (yes, I realize that I am on a slow train to hell :bouncy: for buying my 3 yo daughter something for a tween not to mention I am setting myself up for a migraine.....sighn)

Any ideas to make this less painful for me? Volume control will be very key. What about "quality"? Anybody have a fake electric guitar that didn't fall apart? The things I am willing to consider for this child...

Fairy
10-27-2008, 05:50 PM
My advice is that if you're gonna do it, start with the musical basic, which is an accoustic guitar. They make them cheap so if she trashes it or tires of it, it won't kill you.

At least she doesn't want a drum set. Like my guys. Eep!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't know if it's still being made, but 2 years ago we bought dd a pink acoustic barbie guitar. It was what she wanted. She's worn it around the house and strummed on it to her hearts content and occasionally gives concerts. It came with a few replacement strings but we've only used one of them.

I'd say go ahead and get it. Odds are she'll enjoy it even if it is out of tune.

ThreeofUs
10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
DS1 got his daddy's old slide guitar - a piece of total junk; he really couldn't break it much further - and LOVES it. It's really been a great teaching tool for music for him.

Go for it.

StantonHyde
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
We already have a full drum set, which they love to bang on (their father's) and bongo drums!! Moving to the guitar will be better, as hard as that is to believe!!!

Bean606
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
MIL bought DS an acoustic guitar last Xmas - he was too young for it then, but is now really enjoying it (he is now almost 2 1/2). It was out of the Hearth Song catalog, I think - not too expensive, but DH was able to tune it properly, and it actually doesn't sound too bad.

DrSally
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
We got a smaller acoustic guitar at TRU on sale for $20 (usually 30) that DS loves. I think he was a little over 2yo? The smaller ukeleles usually have nylon strings that don't make much of a musicy sound. He loves using his pick and strumming while he sings and dances. At the end of a song, he even lifts his head up and moves it back and forth, while he's belting out the last note. So cute!

CiderLogan
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
We got our 5yo a 'real' kids acoustic guitar for her 5th birthday (can't remember the brand - it's the music brand available at all the Target toy departments in blue/white packaging and was about $25 or so), and our 2yo plays with it too without any problems. I'd definitely go with that over an electric one. It even includes extra strings!

JTsMom
11-01-2008, 03:24 PM
DS is a guitar lover. We have 2:
This electric one (very slightly different- mainly color/design- smae buttons)
http://shopping.discovery.com/product-65864.html?endecaSID=11D596145C1B

And

This acoustic one:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3083297

He is very rough with both of them, and they both have been played with A LOT.

The electric one is fine. It does not have strings, but has a great selection of sounds and songs. Individual notes are played in one certain mode by pressing the buttons that go up the neck of the guitar. He's had it since last Christmas, and it has held up extremely well. No problems at all. At first, I was disappointed with the lack of strings, but after playing with a few stringed ones in stores, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

The acoustic one has not faired as well, but let me stress it has been thouroughly abused. The side has pulled away from the top, and it has many chips and scratches in it. Strings have held up great. He really loves that one 1000X more, even though he originally wanted the electric one. The sound is quite good as well.