PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite disgusting food?

Fairy
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
We've all got one. They're often ethnic in nature and perfectly normal for that culture but make the mainstream possibly wanna vomit. I admit, I've been watching a bit too much of "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern." Who is insane. And I love him.

I'll go first. I love till the cows come home:

* Gefilte Fish (not, I repeat not out of a Manishevits jar)
* Chopped Liver

So, anyone else? There's gotta be a Haggis lover out there? Or Lutefisk? Not me! Just sayin' . . .

Ceepa
10-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Off the top of my head:

Chips drenched in ketchep.
Kiwi fruit with the peel ON.

elektra
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
This isn't an ethnic food, but it's pretty disgusting in alot of ways and has even made me sick but I still go back for more:
Jack-in-the-Box's Stuffed Jalepeno Peppers. It's about as fast food as you can get with the processed cheese, the fried nugget texture, the ranch dip, etc.
I have friends who basically never ever eat fast food, and they are truly disgusted that I eat these things.

WatchingThemGrow
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
This isn't an ethnic food, but it's pretty disgusting in alot of ways and has even made me sick but I still go back for more:
Jack-in-the-Box's Stuffed Jalepeno Peppers. It's about as fast food as you can get with the processed cheese, the fried nugget texture, the ranch dip, etc.
I have friends who basically never ever eat fast food, and they are truly disgusted that I eat these things.

Does Arby's still carry these too? At least once during each pg I find myself stopping there - or better yet, buying a box at Sam's.

ETA: with the grape/raspberry jelly dip

niccig
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Vegemite. DS loves it too. A friend say it was bordering on child abuse to give it to DS and she would report me to CPS - she was kind of joking. It is disgusting to everyone he didn't grow up with it. DH says it has the look of used motor oil, and it's salty. DS loves it, but he did have it on toast from 1 year old, so really no choice in the matter. In my defence, it has a tonne of B vitamins, folate, iron etc in it, so it isn't bad for you.

Puddy73
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Homemade gravlax (cured Salmon). My family is Swedish but I do not eat lutefisk! The thought of it makes my stomach heave.

I also like Waffle House breakfast food, which is not ethnic but still pretty disgusting.

maestramommy
10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Pork rinds with tabasco sauce?
Organ meats, esp. pork kidneys sauteed in sesame oil and ginger, mmmmmmm.
Pork blood soup
stir fried eel and noodles

Man all this stuff is so BAD for you:p!

pinkmomagain
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
chopped liver
chicken liver w/sauteed onions
tongue sandwich
beef marrow bones

bluestarfish18
10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
we asians love our weird food!

some of my faves:
-pigeon brain
-pig intestines
-fish balls and eggs
-pig ears (not the doggy kind!)
-chicken feet

plus i cannot eat a piece of pizza without ranch dressing..is that weird?

crayonblue
10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Vienna sausage. Canned. Gross. But, my dad loved these when we were growing up and something about it just makes me happy! :)

tylersmama
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Foie gras. Mmmm...I do love me some foie gras. Sweetbreads are pretty tasty too, at least when they're cooked right...

I used to love vienna sausages and spam when I was a kid, but they gross me out now. :p

MamaMolly
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Snails. (escargot) mmmmmmmm in garlicky butter sauce! Yummy!
lamb's liver. sooooooooooo good. Like the best steak you ever tasted, only better.
pate. (don't know how to make the accent over the e, but you know what I mean!)
stinky cheese like stilton. mmmmmmm. stilton! My sister sends us some every year for Christmas and it is sooooo good!

I have a dear friend from the Seychelles and she eats fruit bat, so she has me beaten hands-down on the critter eating scale!

dhano923
10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Vegemite. DS loves it too. A friend say it was bordering on child abuse to give it to DS and she would report me to CPS - she was kind of joking. It is disgusting to everyone he didn't grow up with it. DH says it has the look of used motor oil, and it's salty. DS loves it, but he did have it on toast from 1 year old, so really no choice in the matter. In my defence, it has a tonne of B vitamins, folate, iron etc in it, so it isn't bad for you.

I love Marmite! My DD loves it too. I like it with either butter on toast or spread on toast and topped with cottage cheese and pepper. DD thinks it's delicious!

ThreeofUs
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Liver in its many forms.
chicken livers wrapped in bacon
liverwurst
pate (fois gras)

Oh, so bad for me, but so very yummy

swrc00
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
The ketchup and chips thing was a big thing for me when I was a kid. Probably the weirdest thing I eat is Ramen Noodles with Italian dressing. Yummy, I think I could totally eat a pack right now.

ilfaith
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
DH and I went to a Chinese wedding a few years ago, and joked that the banquet was like an episode of Fear Factor. But as the only non-Chonese-Americans at our table, our fellow guests were impressed by the fact that we were willing to sample everything from the duck tongues (rather tasty) to the sea cucumbers (quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever ingested).

As for my own ethnic favorites, I've got to go with sutffed derma (a.k.a. "kishke") which is essentially intestines (usually beef...kishke is literally "guts") stuffed with a mixture of matzo meal and schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) combined with spices (especially paprika), maybe some onions and possibly some liver (recipes vary). I haven't had this dish in years, but growing up it was a staple at holiday meals and bar mitzvahs.

TaChapm
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it might be Texas thing or the fact that I grew up on a ranch where this was just a part of life but I love calf fries (cow testicles). I grew up eating them not knowing what they were and then stopped for a year after I figured it out but they were so good that I didn't stay away long. :)

I also used to love peanut butter, mayo and sliced pickle sandwitches although I can't have those anymore due to Jackson's allergy. They are yummy though!

Fairy
10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I loved kishke as a child! But recently, I had it again after at least 30 years ... and it did NOT do it for me. Sad.

randomkid
10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
DH and I went to a Chinese wedding a few years ago, and joked that the banquet was like an episode of Fear Factor. But as the only non-Chonese-Americans at our table, our fellow guests were impressed by the fact that we were willing to sample everything from the duck tongues (rather tasty) to the sea cucumbers (quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever ingested).

OK, how big can a duck tongue be? Especially after it's cooked, assuming it was cooked?

For me, nothing as disgusting as you all. When I was a kid I absolutely loved fried chicken livers. My Mom cooked them for the dog, but my brother and I used to fight over them - poor dog. I also loved beef liver and onions. We used to go to a cafeteria style restaraunt when I was a kid and they always asked "Are you sure?" when I asked for liver and onions. I think that they thought I didn't know what it was. Haven't eaten liver in many, many years - since getting into healthcare and learning the function of the liver!

Fairy
10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Oy vey. :sulkoff: I am so sorry I started this thread.

LarsMal
10-28-2008, 05:16 PM
OMG! I wish I had never opened this thread...is there a barfing smilie anywhere?!

Fairy
10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I looked! I couldn't find one.

MISSY! Barfing smiley request!

shilo
10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
are you people trying to put me into labor ;) bleck!!! j/k, keep goin'. i used to eat PB/mayo sandwiches with my grandmother when i was little. but the thought turns my stomach now. about the only thing i've seen here that might count for me would be the stinky cheese. i've never turned one down when not preggo - the stinkier the better ;).

lori

o_mom
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Stuffed pig stomach.

I don't make it, but my grandmother used to. Hasn't lately because of health and I don't know that I love it that much to go to the trouble of figuring out where to actually BUY a pig stomach. :D

maestramommy
10-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Stuffed pig stomach.

I don't make it, but my grandmother used to. Hasn't lately because of health and I don't know that I love it that much to go to the trouble of figuring out where to actually BUY a pig stomach. :D

Do you live near a 99 Ranch? Or any large Asian market? They should have it in the meat section.

I think it's hilarious that so many of us love liver! I do too, but I didn't put it down specifically since it seems like a mainstream food.

trales
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Fermented fish sauce on rice or noodles.
Octopus
Any smoked fish with stinky cheese

o_mom
10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Do you live near a 99 Ranch? Or any large Asian market? They should have it in the meat section.

I had to Google 99 Ranch - nearest one is several states away. :( My grandmother lives in a small farm town, so I'm sure she got hers at a local processor or butcher.

gatorsmom
10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Pickled herring- I love, love love this stuff
Braunschwieger pate sausage
Recently tried deep-fried twinkies at the Minnesota State fair and it was incredible.

SASM
10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
LOVE that show! Watching it now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE a good chewy tripe in spicy tomato sauce. Not gross to me but it is to my family...I love sushi and raw oysters and clams.

Fairy
10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Pickled herring- I love, love love this stuff

Are you sure you're not a Jew? Yep, that's good stuff. NO CREAM.

Emmas Mom
10-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Probably not too gross but I love liver, liverwurst & saurkraut! Yummy! My Grandfather is Polish so I think that's where I got it from. ;)

Clarity
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
*snort* Hilary, I'm so glad you're back on the boards...you make me laugh.

Piglet
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay, I'll bite (sorry I had to)... my favourite weird food is tongue. I also adore chopped liver and liver in general. My parents used to make chopped liver often and I would request it for lunch as a kid. Yes, I was very unpopular as a child!

wencit
10-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Blood sausage.

I can not think about it while I'm eating it, as the thought nauseates me.

randomkid
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Probably not too gross but I love liver, liverwurst & saurkraut! Yummy! My Grandfather is Polish so I think that's where I got it from. ;)

I LOVE sauerkraut! I didn't think that would be a gross food really as it seems pretty mainstream. I guess a lot of people don't like it. I clearly remember as a child climbing down into the dark, dirty basement at my Grandparent's home in Georgia to go with my Grandfather to check how the sauerkraut was coming along. Mmmmm...loved that smell when he would open the crock - damp Georgia clay and sauerkraut - I can smell it now!

MontrealMum
10-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I second the vote for liver in its many forms. I also like gravlax, smelt, and any of the tinned fishes (like anchovies or herring). But what grosses DH out the most? My love of cottage cheese and tapioca (not together, of course!) DH's vote would be for haggis. I have yet to have it, it's illegal to sell it here in QC.

DrSally
10-28-2008, 11:18 PM
I love Andrew Zimmern too. He's always so gracious to those who serve him, and he tries to make a connection to them as people.

I also like gravlax like pp, DS sees me eating it and begs for it. He calls it "ham".

Like Lisa, I also like pickled herring. My dad used to get a bucket every year, and he and I would eat that thing down.

I haven't had it in a long time, but I used to really like lutefisk as a kid. Of course I had no idea how it was made, so I didn't have that mental gross out factor.

This thread really making me laugh! Pork rinds with tobasco? ramen noodles with italian dressing? Too funny!

kijip
10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Not really gross, but we seem to eat a lot more dark greens than most people I know. Collards are a staple here. We also eat a sour, fermented flat bread from Ethiopia called injera a lot which seems to be an acquired taste.

bubbaray
10-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Haggis? JUST KIDDING. I will say that I was extremely drunk when I ate it and it was EXTREMELY gross even given my blood alcohol level.

I never thought of escargot as gross, but I guess that qualifies. I was going to post Kraft Dinner, which DH and the girls think is pretty disgusting, but I will admit to craving it now and then.

But, man, yeah soooo glad you posted this thread. NOT. We need a sensitive tummy warning!

Fairy
10-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Dude. Title. "Disgusting" and "Foods"

Where's that vomit smiley?

gatorsmom
10-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Are you sure you're not a Jew? Yep, that's good stuff. NO CREAM.

I was adopted at birth and know nothing of my birth parents so I guess it's possible :). And I agree- NO CREAM.

JoyNChrist
10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Not really gross, or all that odd IMO, but we eat a lot of wild game. Rabbit, squirrel, turtle...I've even had (and enjoyed) raccoon and rattlesnake. Along with the more "normal" game - deer, wild hog, duck, goose.

DH and I both hunt (as does almost everyone in our families), and you'd be surprised how much $ we save on meat every year (although when you add in the lease fees, hunting equipment, licenses, etc it's not really that cheap).

I never found this all that odd, but some of my friends (especially those who didn't grow up around here) do. Maybe it's a Southern thing?

gatorsmom
10-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Not really gross, or all that odd IMO, but we eat a lot of wild game. Rabbit, squirrel, turtle...I've even had (and enjoyed) raccoon and rattlesnake. Along with the more "normal" game - deer, wild hog, duck, goose.

DH and I both hunt (as does almost everyone in our families), and you'd be surprised how much $ we save on meat every year (although when you add in the lease fees, hunting equipment, licenses, etc it's not really that cheap).

I never found this all that odd, but some of my friends (especially those who didn't grow up around here) do. Maybe it's a Southern thing?

I picture your DH shooting his gun out your back door at squirrels in your yard and then yelling, "we got dinner, hon!" I'm totally kidding. The father of a good friend of mine from Lafayette used to do exactly this. She joked about it all the time. If I tasted something her dad shot, she'd always warn me not to bite down too hard or I could break a tooth biting into the shot gun metal (what is that called?). You don't hear about that too much up here in Minnesota so maybe it is a southern thing.

JoyNChrist
10-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I picture your DH shooting his gun out your back door at squirrels in your yard and then yelling, "we got dinner, hon!"

Actually, if we lived where my in-laws or grandparents do (on 100 and 250 acres of pine forest, respectively), that wouldn't be too far from the truth. ;) My FIL and grandfather have both killed several deer from their back porches.

But our backyard is 1/2 acre with no trees, so we have to drive to the lease to hunt. I'm coming to terms with the fact that we'll always be pretty redneck. :ROTFLMAO:

crayonblue
10-29-2008, 07:48 AM

Alligator is pretty good too! My mom has a cousin in Louisiana who raises alligator. BBQ alligator is awesome!

crayonblue
10-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Not really gross, but we seem to eat a lot more dark greens than most people I know. Collards are a staple here. We also eat a sour, fermented flat bread from Ethiopia called injera a lot which seems to be an acquired taste.

Katie, if you ever move to the South, you will fit right in with the dark greens! My dad was known for his collard greens and mustard greens. I LOVE them!

My neighbor is Ethiopian so I get to eat the flat bread whenever I go over to her house. It's good!

boolady
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Stuffed pig stomach.

Me, too! I do know where to buy one, near my grandparents' (well, now my grandfather's) house, but cannot imagine trying to explain and serve one to my husband.

mudder17
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Pork rinds with tabasco sauce?
Organ meats, esp. pork kidneys sauteed in sesame oil and ginger, mmmmmmm.
Pork blood soup
stir fried eel and noodles

Man all this stuff is so BAD for you:p!
I love all this stuff, not to mention fried chicken livers, liverwurst, sea cucumbers,.... I think all but the last must be really bad for you. :P

missym
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Pretty tame, but:
Steak and kidney pie
I'm developing a taste for gefilte fish
Gerber rice baby cereal, mixed nice and runny. Yummm.

The barfing smiley is just too gross. How about this one instead:
http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-7502.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

DrSally
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Looooove Injera, from the first time I had it.

Fairy
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Re: The offered I'mGonnaThrowUp smilie, we'll take it.

C99
10-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Devil dogs

When I was pregnant with DS1, I could not stop eating sliders from White Castle. I should have known that when the cravings stopped, the baby would be out!

ETA: I also love pate and foie gras (and goat cheese), but it did not occur to me that these would be filed under "disgusting food."

Corie
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM

These are absolutely delicious!! I love them! But I love
fast-food, donuts, chocolate and anything deep-fried. :)

Corie
10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I think it might be Texas thing or the fact that I grew up on a ranch where this was just a part of life but I love calf fries (cow testicles).

If you like cow balls, then you like your cow balls. But do not
blame it on Texas!!! :)

I lived for 18 years in Texas and managed to avoid the balls.

Corie
10-29-2008, 03:51 PM

I don't think it's odd at all. My DH hunts. My daughter was eating
venison when she was still in her high chair.

My DH could cook road-kill and you would never know...

Anyone want to come over for dinner?

HIU8
10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Kippered salmon. it is my absolute favorite food on earth. Not truly disgusting, but my favorite. BTW, I hate gefilte fish now, but I used to love love love it pre children. Now I can only eat it if it is the only thing in the house. I also do mock chopped liver and kishke. The gefilte fish is a staple for DS and DD. They can eat it daily nonstop.

My mother's favorite food is lox wings (salmon gills). Speaking from experience....it is the MOST DISGUSTING smelling dish ever. It smells like dirty stinky feet and you can't get the smell out of the house for DAYS.

MaiseyDog
10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, reading all of this makes me realize that I lead a pretty tame life. I will say I do love fried chicken gizzards and I'm surprised I haven't seen them mentioned yet (at least I don't remember seeing them). I also grew up in a family of hunters and have eaten my fair share of wild game, but nothing too terribly strange.

DrSally
10-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Kippered salmon. it is my absolute favorite food on earth. Not truly disgusting, but my favorite. BTW, I hate gefilte fish now, but I used to love love love it pre children. Now I can only eat it if it is the only thing in the house. I also do mock chopped liver and kishke. The gefilte fish is a staple for DS and DD. They can eat it daily nonstop.

My mother's favorite food is lox wings (salmon gills). Speaking from experience....it is the MOST DISGUSTING smelling dish ever. It smells like dirty stinky feet and you can't get the smell out of the house for DAYS.

What is gefilte fish?

Ceepa
10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
DH still talks about this though he hasn't eaten it in years. The name is much worse than the ingredients. I love the humor value in this image:

http://images.thewavemag.com/images/articles/11001-12000/11541.jpg

Fairy
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
What is gefilte fish?

Fish balls. Making it is positively disgusting, and I'm very sad to say that the family recipe died with my aunt last year. There is nothing like the real thing homemade. An excellent, Jewish-owned Jewish deli often has wonderful ones, too, but my aunt's? To die for. She told me verbally how she made them once, and I wasnted to puke just listening. Still, the finished product is divine.

If you try this out of the Manishevits jar, you may as well just decide now that they're nasty, and I'll spare you the tasting. But if you ever wanna try one, do it at a Passover seder in someone's home, or go to an authentic Jewish deli.

Mmmmm.....

ilfaith
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
DH still talks about this though he hasn't eaten it in years. The name is much worse than the ingredients. I love the humor value in this image:

Back in college, some friends and I wound up in a supermarket in an ethnic neighborhood late at night. We were marvelling at all the interesting parts of the animal that were available in the butcher department. We realized we could probably reassemble an entire cow...so we filled up a wagon with the various parts. Then I ran to the aisle with the canned meats and came back with some potted meat product, figuring it could be the spackle that held it all together. Did I mention we may not have been entirely clean and sober (which may have explained our need to run out for groceries in the middle of the night). We did end up putting away all the meat (and meat by-products) and just buying some chips and snack cakes (and possibly ice cream).

DrSally
10-29-2008, 05:36 PM

That is soooo disgusting!! You're right, the name is the funniest part. We did eat Spam growing up, but I wouldn't eat it now. Too salty for one thing.

Fish balls, I prob would like them, but the name alone makes me want to stay away, hahaha.

I guess when I was first adopted, I asked for Kimchi all the time. My parents didn't know what it meant (thought I was saying potty)--back then cultural education for adoptive parents was minimal. I actually haven't had here, though, since my parents never gave it to me, and then now, it looks kinda gross. Thinking back, it would've been a great thing to offer a newly adopted child to help smooth the transition.

srhs
10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Um, this will be so tame compared to the not-so-mysterious-mystery meats in this thread, but I'm the only person I know who loves the white flesh of the orange peel.

o_mom
10-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Um, this will be so tame compared to the not-so-mysterious-mystery meats in this thread, but I'm the only person I know who loves the white flesh of the orange peel.

I :heartbeat: pith.

ritacheetah
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't hate the white orange peel as much as I love peeling it off.

Don't have much to add here except that I ate a lot of liverworst as a kid and I loved it.

fortato
10-29-2008, 11:48 PM

There's a great website called The Sneeze www.thesneeze.com
And the guy has a series of segments called "Steve Don't Eat It!" and one of the things he eats is Potted meat food product... his descriptions are HILARIOUS!

And the foods he tries are downright nasty.

bubbaray
10-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Vegan is looking like a pretty decent option right now.

I want a barfy smilie.

MamaMolly
10-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I can't stop myself from checking this thread! Gross, funny, and a ton of fun! Thanks OP!

Fairy
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't know what Potted Meat Product is ... and I don't want to!

stefani
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I guess when I was first adopted, I asked for Kimchi all the time. My parents didn't know what it meant (thought I was saying potty)--back then cultural education for adoptive parents was minimal. I actually haven't had here, though, since my parents never gave it to me, and then now, it looks kinda gross. Thinking back, it would've been a great thing to offer a newly adopted child to help smooth the transition.

I love kimchi!

OK, no one has mentioned this I think: brain (I think it is cows' and it is fried... o... heavenly :-) I don't think you can get it here in the US.

Then another one that you can get in the US: durian (in Mandarin: liu lian). It is a fruit (thorny fruit is the translation), and it tastes like custard, with a very strong smell. Not disgusting, but some people cannot stand it.

When DS was a little over 2 years old, we went to a Chinese New Year celebration, and DS had those sea weed (not the Japanese green ones, but the Chinese brown ones) and demolished it. That was his first time eating it, and DH and I were amazed at how much he liked that. Now he is just OK about it.

WatchingThemGrow
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
OK, no one has mentioned this I think: brain (I think it is cows' and it is fried... o... heavenly :-) I don't think you can get it here in the US.

I have had and seen Pork Brains sold by Armour with the Vienna Sausages and other potted meat products. My mom made brains 'n eggs until I put a stop to her madness when I was about 8.

Did anyone mention frog legs? I've gigged a few on the farm with my dad. Chicken-like, but the thought is still there.

Chicken livers (which both of my [divorced] parents love) can be found at SOME Kentucky Friend Chicken restaurants.

In FL, there was a little place called Jigg's Landing you could canoe to and enjoy some fried alligator. That stuff was delicious.

Still, nothing tops fortato's disgusting food.

Fairy
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Durian fruit is actually banned in alot of public places where it's natively grown due to the stink. It's one of the only foods I can remember that Andrew Zimmern could not actually get down his gullet. I know it's a fruit, but ya gotta wonder what makes it stink like rotting flesh, which is what he said it smelled like ... I think ...

randomkid
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM

I used to eat potted meat as a kid! I loved it - that and Deviled Ham. Just spread on some white bread - instant lunch! My Grandparents lived in the deep south on the Georgia/Tenn line. We ate fried spam (not one of my favorites), potted meat product, vienna sausages, deviled ham and mayo sandwiches - just mayonnaise spread on white bread (my favorite). Going to my Grandparents' was always a treat, or so I thought, because my Mom never bought that stuff! All those things would likely make me gag now. I was just talking to my Mom about the mayo sandwiches the other day. She never knew that I ate those at my Grandparents' - lol!

My Nana also used to make red eye gravy. Basically, the drippings left after frying salt cured ham and used as gravy over biscuits. Why is it called red eye gravy? Because when you spoon it up, there is a red eye of meat juice in the center surrounded by a large rim of pure fat/oil! I had no idea when I was a kid - just knew I thought all that stuff was great. Here's a nice pic for you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Redeyegravy.jpg/180px-Redeyegravy.jpg

maestramommy
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Durian fruit is actually banned in alot of public places where it's natively grown due to the stink. It's one of the only foods I can remember that Andrew Zimmern could not actually get down his gullet. I know it's a fruit, but ya gotta wonder what makes it stink like rotting flesh, which is what he said it smelled like ... I think ...

ACtually I've seen it sold in SoCal. I was offered it once when I was in Taiwan. Someone told me it stinks because they grow it in manure. More likely soil heavily fertilized with manure. Whatever, I couldn't touch it. Smelled like garlic. I love garlic, but fruit shouldn't smell like it.

Dcclerk
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I was sure that if I just kept reading this thread, I would find some food that is disgusting to others that I like. Positive. I like a ton of food and am a very adventurous eater. Or, so I thought. Instead, I discovered that I totally want to vomit thinking about every single food posted in this thread.

And, run to the nearest Thai restaurant and distract myself with sweet sticky rice and mango. It turns out that is about as disgusting as I can go...

JoyNChrist
10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Did anyone mention frog legs? I've gigged a few on the farm with my dad. Chicken-like, but the thought is still there.

In FL, there was a little place called Jigg's Landing you could canoe to and enjoy some fried alligator. That stuff was delicious.

I like gigging frogs, although I'm not crazy about eating them. Love me some fried alligator though. Yum! :thumbsup:

ETA - DH and I went on an alligator hunt recently down in the marsh because they were having problems with the rebuilding efforts from the recent hurricanes. All of the alligators were congregating in one spot and making it hard (and dangerous) to work there. So hunters were allowed to go down and clear some of them out. It was so much fun (although I didn't get a gator).

mommylamb
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I've been known to drink pickle juice on occation...

maestramommy
10-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Yowza! My entire mouth watered and tightened up when I read this!:p

JoyNChrist
10-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Ooh, when I was little we used to freeze pickle juice in ice cube and then eat them like popsicles. In fact, they used to sell these at our local baseball field - "pickle pops". The very thought makes me nauseous now.

EllasMum
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
ok this is not really disgusting, but all my friends think it is SO weird and will not go to salad bars with me anymore because of it: chickpeas with bacon bits. Mmmm... :18:

ShanaMama
10-30-2008, 10:07 PM
* Gefilte Fish (not, I repeat not out of a Manishevits jar)
* Chopped Liver

I have gefilte fish cooling on my stove right now. Wanna come over? ;)
DH eats chopped liver every week but I can not stomach one bite.
When I read this, my first thought was cholent. But you said *my* favorite food. I don't eat cholent. Just cook it for those that have cement stomachs!

Fairy
10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I have gefilte fish cooling on my stove right now. Wanna come over? ;)

I will be there in 10 minutes!

stefani
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy

ACtually I've seen it sold in SoCal. I was offered it once when I was in Taiwan. Someone told me it stinks because they grow it in manure. More likely soil heavily fertilized with manure. Whatever, I couldn't touch it. Smelled like garlic. I love garlic, but fruit shouldn't smell like it.

Durian fruit is sold in Asian supermarket in Texas, too. The trouble is I cannot eat 1 fruit all by myself (without getting sick - just too much) and DH won't let me contaminate the refrigerator wit it.

Hm... I guess I like the smell, so I cannot associate it with rotting flesh or garlic (although I do like roasted garlic). :-)

Maybe I should send DH over to my in-laws this week-end and I have a durian fiesta!

ok this is not really disgusting, but all my friends think it is SO weird and will not go to salad bars with me anymore because of it: chickpeas with bacon bits.

Actually that sounds good, I have to try it next time!

ShanaMama, may I try out gefilte fish as well? I have never had it.

JoyNChrist
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
ok this is not really disgusting, but all my friends think it is SO weird and will not go to salad bars with me anymore because of it: chickpeas with bacon bits. Mmmm... :18:

LOL, this made me think of my DH.

He's not a salad guy, so at salad bars he always mixes his own "salad" - eggs, bacon bits, cheese, and thousand island dressing. Can you say EW?!