PDA

View Full Version : Petty bitch...little girls and tights...

vludmilla
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I bought 2yo DD some lovely tights from the Hanna outlet sale and the LL Bean sale page. I have been so excited to get the tights because they match the many beautiful HMD dresses that we have. Now, it isn't easy to match new tights to old lines of HA, Gap, and Gymbo, but I did it after looking for a long time. So, I had DD try on the HA and LLB tights and BOTH times, DD yelled "No, like this!" and violently tried to pull them down and off. WTH! They are so soft and they fit just fine. Anybody have an experience like this? Will she learn to like tights? Do I need to give up with the tights? I've been so excited to have her wear her dresses but I don't want to torture her.
-Victoria

Rainbows&Roses
10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I have been trying to get my daughter to wear tights since she was 18 months and started having an opinion she could verbalize. At 5, she still won't wear them. She just doesn't like anything tight on her legs and I guess I don't blame her.

Better luck to you!

citymama
10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I always detested wearing tights as a kid, and still hate them (or stockings/pantyhose) as an adult. I will.not.wear.them. I figure I can't inflict them on my DD either, and so she wears Hanna or Gymbo leggings with dresses, but never tights! I have a lot of skin sensitivity issues and don't wear anything I find uncomfy! Fashionistas may disagree, but whatever.

ETA Victoria - there's always BBB Swap...

Twoboos
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Oh, I would be eternally grateful if my daughters wouldn't wear tights/dresses Ev-Er-Ry-DAY! This is a major obstacle to getting dressed on their own. (Ok, they can do most of it but 99% of the time I must help w/tights.) And they are always slouchy/dirty/stretched out/hard to pull up again after going to the potty...

I know they're cute but be careful what you wish for.

WatchingThemGrow
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Can you talk them up, "Oh, they are so cute with this pretty dress. Look, they have flowers on them!" DD is in the stage where she's harder to convince, but when I said that a certain pair CAME with the dress, she was okay with it.

But, yeah, I'm not a tights/hose person myself as I was reminded last week when I tried to wear a pair of black hose. yuk.

tylersmama
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe she just needs a distraction as soon as you get them on her? I was freaking out that DS wouldn't wear his halloween costume because he flipped out screaming bloody murder when we tried it on. He's worn it twice since, and both times he's been pretty adamant with yelling "NO DINOSAUR!" when I put it on him, but as soon as it's on and I have him doing something, he forgets about it. I don't know, it's worth a shot though, right? Good luck!

vludmilla
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll have to give up on the tights. I did try the distraction and talking them up ("But look they are BIG GIRL tights") and that worked until she started walking in them and then she screamed and threw a fit. So, I guess I'm bringing my unworn tights to the swap (thanks for that suggestion, citymama)
-Victoria
Off to find more leggings. Sigh.

LarsMal
10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
DD HATES tights! Last fall/winter I tried them (when she wasn't quite 1 yet) and she would roll around on the ground screaming and crying until I took them off. So far this year I've gotten her to keep them on, but every now and then she'll realize she has them on and drop to the floor doint the rolling/screamin/trying to tug them off ordeal.

I've found distracting her helps, but in the end I usually need to take them off.

I need to find the converting kind of tights- the ones that have a whole in the foot so you can make them like leggings when they don't have shoes on. That's DD's problem- she hates socks, so she hates that the tights are stuck on her feet, too. I think they exist...or maybe that's my million dollar idea...shoot, now it's out there!! ;)

gatorsmom
10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you for this thread! I never thought that a girl wouldnt like tights. it just never occurred to me. And so with SiSi being 11 months old, I think now is the time to get her used to them. She doesn't object now but she may at 18 months. And I just LOVEEEEE a little girl in a dress!

Dcclerk
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I always detested wearing tights as a kid, and still hate them (or stockings/pantyhose) as an adult. I will.not.wear.them. I figure I can't inflict them on my DD either, and so she wears Hanna or Gymbo leggings with dresses, but never tights! I have a lot of skin sensitivity issues and don't wear anything I find uncomfy! Fashionistas may disagree, but whatever.

I'm the same person. In fact, sometimes when I just SEE tights, it makes my skin crawl. I have to wear suits fairly often, and I will not buy a suit that is not either a pants suit or one that I can wear with boots, so I don't have to wear pantyhose. I also can't wear wool (often even cashmere) and other scratchy materials. Frankly, it sucks, but coming from my bias, I would give up on the tights and stock up on the nice cotton leggings :)!

WatchingThemGrow
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you for this thread! I never thought that a girl wouldnt like tights. it just never occurred to me. And so with SiSi being 11 months old, I think now is the time to get her used to them. She doesn't object now but she may at 18 months. And I just LOVEEEEE a little girl in a dress!

LOL I hadn't even thought about the fact that you have a little girl in the mix! Is it a new world for you in a sense?

Melaine
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm with the PP who HATE stockings/hose/tights with a passion. My skin is so dry and sensitive I actually hate SHOWERING so stockings....ARGH! I won't make the girls wear them, we stick to babylegs or leggings.

tarahsolazy
10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I am not a tights fan for my DD, I prefer the leggings/socks/shoes thing to all one piece. We had a few pair last year, though, for warmth. A few weeks ago DH put a pair under DD's PJs for warmth, as the PJs had no feet. She woke up a few times, just crying, crying, in the first hour she was asleep. I went in and changed her diaper, including removing the tights, of course. As soon as they were off, she immediately was DEEPLY asleep. Guess she doesn't like them anymore either.