PDA

View Full Version : Playmobil where to start?

kcampbell
10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I am really thinking about getting some playmobil things for my girls this holiday. What do your kids like? What is a good set or place to begin? I was looking at the fairy line, magic castle or circus lines. Does anyone have any of those and what do you think? How about the hospital line? I have two DDs ages 4.5 and 2.5 we aren't particular about gender specific stuff but they definately gravitate towards the girly stuff. Thanks for any help!

KrystalS
10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
We just got into Playmobil here as well, I'm a little overwhelmed lol! I went to a local toy store and got a catalog. DD has seriously spent hours looking at it! I got her a couple of the people just to make sure she would enjoy them. Since I bought them she has played with them nonstop.

She has changed her mind several times but as of right now she really likes the hospital and the zoo. I'm also getting her the camper, I think its really cute and it gets great reviews. She really likes the house add on sets with the kids room and anything with babies.

I can't wait for Christmas to get here to see how much she enjoys everything!

hbridge
10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
We have A LOT of Playmobile, but don't have any big sets. I have purchased smaller sets that DC would be interested in. We received the doll house and ambulance as gifts, but otherwise I've concentrated on the smaller stuff taking DC's interests into account. At the moment we are all about animals around here so DC received the cats family, the circus dogs, and the guinea pigs as Birthday Gifts.

I'd say just go with your child's interest and try a few less expensive sets before investing in something "grand". The princess sets are really nice and they are starting to expand the fairy line. Of course the Pirates are really cool too. If you get a catalog or go on the web site I'm sure your girls will give you some direction. Good luck and have fun. Playmobil is so cool!

elliput
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
My DD is really into pirates and animals, so I got her the pirate dinghy and small farm set. I have stashed away for later a viking ship and a small castle.

brittone2
10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
DS will be almost 5 at Christmas. We're starting Playmobil as well. We just let him look at a catalog and took his interests into account, as a PP mentioned she did.

He's getting:
The Eagle castle set (was free on Craigslist, but I'm not sure how into this he'll be. At the very least, I think he'll like the people figurines).

Camper (we have a pop up, and this was the one thing he went nuts over in the catalog. I think this will be a hit. It has been his only Christmas request).

Gas Station (an add on to another set. Only $10 since it doesn't come in a box or anything). He loves all vehicle play and I think he'll enjoy this.

Playmobil guy w/ a grill (because he loves to help DH grill)
Playmobil family with stroller
Playmobil person with a bike, bike stand, etc.

I'm going to see how those go over before we invest more $ into playmobil. I think he'd like the airplane.

KrystalS
10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Playmobil guy w/ a grill (because he loves to help DH grill)
Playmobil family with stroller
Playmobil person with a bike, bike stand, etc.

I got DD the family with stroller and the baby incubator that goes with the hospital set. DD loves the family, the stroller is very versatile, DD takes off the handles and uses it as a carseat lol. She also loves the incubator. I told her they use them for small babies that were born too early and didn't have time to grow big in their moms belly. So she frequently comes to tell me her baby has grown big lol.

brittone2
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I got DD the family with stroller and the baby incubator that goes with the hospital set. DD loves the family, the stroller is very versatile, DD takes off the handles and uses it as a carseat lol. She also loves the incubator. I told her they use them for small babies that were born too early and didn't have time to grow big in their moms belly. So she frequently comes to tell me her baby has grown big lol.

So cute!! :love-retry:

AngelaS
10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I'd buy a smaller house set to start with and a few add ons.

We have a lot of sets and they all cycle thru them. :)

kboyle
10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
we have a lot of playmobil also, start small. we started when charlie was 2 and have kept to simple sets.

the camper is a FAVORITE at our house. has been played with daily for probably 2 years straight now, that being said, the pieces that come with it are teeny (as is most pm accesories) and the tires come off easily if pulled off. ours has no more wheels, lol. they are in a drawer in the kitchen (or at least were) because max kept pulling them off & biting them. i know try to only get vehicles with an axle so that they keep the wheels on.

we mainly only get vehicles & boats. sets don't stay together around here. we've had the take along dollhouse, castle, treehouse contraption/forester thingy...all of them have been taken apart & in pieces by the end of the day.

i stick to buying people & vehicles :)

as for what to buy...keep it simple and chose things she's interested in.

Karenn
10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
DD has a lot of the modern living/grand mansion doll house stuff in her doll house. She loves it. She also got a ton of hospital stuff for her birthday and she really likes that. She spends lots of time driving her playmobil people around in the mini-van (I think they call it "city van") and a little playmobil boat we picked up on sale. She's currently drooling over the circus stuff in her catalog. :)

kcampbell
10-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Definately seems like something that could get very overwhelming. We started last year with the playmobil advent calender and we LOVE it so much so that I am getting another one this year so they each have one to do. I think we will start with some small stuff like a vehicle (camper or ambulance or something similar) or circus type stuff that can be added to. The zoo looks great but also lots of pieces. The fairy stuff would probably be DDs favorite but I just don't know where to start???

KrystalS
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
From what I've read on here Ridge Road Station is the cheapest place to purchase Playmobil. Do they ever have coupon codes? I know you get free shipping over $30 which is good but a discount coupon would be great also!