PDA

View Full Version : Question about down ballot advertising in your state...

kayte
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I have noticed an odd trend in the down ballot advertising here in the over the top red state of Texas. None --and I mean none- of the Republicans running for any office--from mayor to US Senate--- are using the word "republican" in there ads or are any of them appearing to be paid for the RNC -- the legal notices at the end have been oddly absent of the word "Republican". In a state where previous elections have almost brow beat you with the term it's so odd that it is COMPLETELY gone (not just less) .

SO my question is... is it like that in your state too?

Or are the Texas Repubs just trying to separate themselves from Bush so much that they abandoning the label?

Is it because my state is soooooooo red (I mean, McCain still has a 13 point lead here) that the RNC hasn't spent one dime here on any candidate, thinking the down ticket will do just fine with the turn out for McCain? ANd the candidates figure they are paying themselves, they aren't going to name their label "Republicans for Sally Congressman" like in the past?

I find it so odd.

(and on the reverse, plenty of Democrats mention it or have it in the legal notices at the end)

mamicka
10-28-2008, 08:57 PM
I have noticed an odd trend in the down ballot advertising here in the over the top red state of Texas. None --and I mean none- of the Republicans running for any office--from mayor to US Senate--- are using the word "republican" in there ads or are any of them appearing to be paid for the RNC -- the legal notices at the end have been oddly absent of the word "Republican". In a state where previous elections have almost brow beat you with the term it's so odd that it is COMPLETELY gone (not just less) .

SO my question is... is it like that in your state too?

Or are the Texas Repubs just trying to separate themselves from Bush so much that they abandoning the label?

Is it because my state is soooooooo red (I mean, McCain still has a 13 point lead here) that the RNC hasn't spent one dime here on any candidate, thinking the down ticket will do just fine with the turn out for McCain? ANd the candidates figure they are paying themselves, they aren't going to name their label "Republicans for Sally Congressman" like in the past?

I find it so odd.

(and on the reverse, plenty of Democrats mention it or have it in the legal notices at the end)

I've heard this discussed somewhere else.... can't remember where offhand. I think it totally depends on your state. No candidate advertises their party affiliation here in SE WI.

brittone2
10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
DH is a grad student. His school has a small daily paper. I noticed an ad with "CHANGE" at the top, and it had quotes from all parties about how this particular (Repub) candidate was change. I don't think it ever mentioned him being a Republican. The only way I figured it out was it bashed his opponent, an incumbent Dem (who is pretty well liked as far as I can tell). It was a large, large ad and the wording was very confusing if you didn't know that his opponent was the Dem.

ellies mom
10-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Some of the Republicans in Washington State are using GOP instead of Republican on the ballot. Rossi, the guy running for governer is the main one but I seem to recall seeing a few more GOPs scattered about.

I'm not 100% certain what that says about how they view the electorate. People seem annoyed with Republicans but if I use GOP they won't realize I'm a Republican and vote for me? Huh?

MontrealMum
10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't think it's limited to the Republicans. We get our tv stations from NY and VT and none of the candidates' adds for either party announces their affiliation. And I don't know what they might be since I don't vote in either state. It's been like that the entire time I've lived here.

kijip
10-28-2008, 10:22 PM
The Republican candidate for governor here, Dino Rossi, successfully put himself on the ballot without the word Republican next to his name, LOL. So yeah, I would say down ballot Republicans are avoiding the word, in all but the most conservative of areas.

Rossi even likens himself to Obama at every opportunity. It's an odd year. ;)

kijip
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm not 100% certain what that says about how they view the electorate. People seem annoyed with Republicans but if I use GOP they won't realize I'm a Republican and vote for me? Huh?

A volunteer here at work was telling me that the local news had a segment asking people out and about what GOP was and people not only did not know it stood for Grand Old Party, they did not usually know it was Republican. They were confused by it, because most knew Rossi is a Republican. Where the heck do the reporters FIND these people? Who does not know GOP=Republican?

Globetrotter
10-29-2008, 01:08 AM
We got a flier promoting several city officials (up for reelection) as Democrats!

JTsMom
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Same here OP- not too many ads say Republican, several say Democrat. I'd bet it's the Bush/economy factor.

lovin2shop
10-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't know the answer to your questions exactly, but I have heard that the local Republican party in my area of TX is in near chaos because they have received absolutely no money from the national party. I guess the money is going to the battle ground states and they expect the TX candidates to work it out on their own. So, I'm not sure if it is because they want to separate themselves from Bush or because the party isn't paying for the ads or a combination of both.