PDA

View Full Version : Help - Quick ?s about Rotisserie Chicken for Party!

kayte
10-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I am making chicken salad for our Halloween party on Friday. The recipe calls for 6 of diced cooked chicken...

How much chicken (on average) will I get from a rotisserie? (I usually just cook breasts for the salad, but I am trying to save some time)

Also is it safe to buy them today, make the salad tomorrow and eat on Friday for lunch???

Can you tell I don't have much experience with rotisserie chicken... I have actually been apprehensive about them--- do you eat them regualrly, use them in other recipes? I like the idea of precooked chicken I just haven't gone there before.

TIA

(And I put this thread here instead of cooking because I am hoping to get to the store this morning to shop for the party and am hoping for some quick answers)

JTsMom
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Is that supposed to be 6 cups? I'd probably buy 2, depending on the size. You'd probably be able to get close to 6 cups from one, but if you don't want to have to run back, I'd do 2 to be on the safe side. It's not like you couldn't just eat the leftovers- and I all but guarantee there will be some. I hate having to go back to the store a second time!

I don't think anyone would get sick or anything if you bought it today, but from a freshness perspective, I'd wait until tomorrow. I'm pretty paranoid about that stuff though.

I don't usually buy the pre-cooked stuff just b/c it's so easy to throw a chicken in the oven. Sometimes I cook 2 at once, then use 1 for soup, salads, etc.

Sillygirl
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
You might want to consider poaching some chicken breasts/ thighs instead of cutting up the roasted chicken - poaching makes the meat a lot moister so you don't have to dress it in as much mayo.

kayte
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got some chicken breast and some broth to boil it in....