PDA

View Full Version : What would you tell this friend? (LONG)

KpbS
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I have a friend (we are not super close but have known each other for years) and she is very generous. She hosted a shower for me w/ DS2. Several months ago she mentioned her big girl (and DS same age as my DS1) had outgrown a double jogging stroller and was I interested. Definitely!

A month or so passes and she mentions it casually in a conversation, yeah, I really need to get that to you. I say sure whenever it is convenient. A couple weeks after that I ask her if I could pick it up. She hesitated and said that she didn't want her kids to see her give it away. I said no problem, I could pick it up after they went to bed. She was non-committal so I just left it at that.

A few weeks later she has a garage sale. She mentioned it went well. I didn't bring up the stroller but really wondered if she had changed her mind, given it to someone else, or sold it.

A few weeks later, I decided it was just too awkward to bring it up again and figured she had changed her mind, no biggie. I bit the bullet and ordered a clearance model (still a lot of money!). 2 weeks later she says we should go pick it up from her house one day they aren't home. I didn't mention I had ordered a new one and just thanked her but when I was there I saw it had a garage sale tag on it for $100! So now I have the new one I purchased and hers (don't need both!!) and the new one does handle a lot better and is a better fit for my height.

What do I tell this friend? How do I say thanks but no thanks? I can't use the new one b/c she lives in my neighborhood and I know I would run into her. But I bought it so I could get out and use it!! I feel so awkward about it. Offer to help her sell it in a consignment sale? If you have made it this far, THANK YOU and sorry so long...................

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Do you have possession of both? " If not, say, "I wound up finding a great deal on this stroller when I was online and couldn't resist it so I am all set on strollers now." If you took her stroller then I'll have to think for a minute more on that.

Beth

new_mommy25
10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I would tell her that, surprise!, DH decided to buy you a new stroller. Or be honest and tell her you found a great deal and bought a new stroller. Either way, return the old one and thank her for her generous offer. I wouldn't worry about offending her. She's the one who took so long to get it to you.

egoldber
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Why can't you just say that you found a terrific deal on a new one and thanks but no thanks?

I don't think the garage sale is a big deal other than the fact that she offered it to you before putting it in the sale. That's a little tacky. But I've had things that didn't sell in garage sales and then cheerfully given away to someone else. I would have preferred to make a few dollars, but if not, then I give it away.

If worse comes to worse, she can donate it to charity and get a pretty good tax deduction.

mecawa
10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree with everyone else, just tell her you found a great deal online, or if you aren't comfortable with that just say it was a surprise gift from someone.

Tondi G
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I would just tell her that you had found a great deal on the new one you bought and ordered it thinking that maybe she had forgotten about the stroller or had maybe sold it at her garage sale. Then when she called you went over and picked it up and your new stroller arrived a day later. You've decided that you like the new model and would like to give her the older one back or help her sell it if she wants it gone!

lorinick
10-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Why didn't you tell her before picking up the stroller at her home? Since you already picked it up I would tell her you saw a great deal on a stroller on line and decided to get it. So thank her for the stroller and ask her if she would like the stroller back? Or she would prefere you to take it to the goodwill etc.

ThreeofUs
10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Since you already picked it up I would tell her you saw a great deal on a stroller on line and decided to get it. So thank her for the stroller and ask her if she would like the stroller back? Or she would prefere you to take it to the goodwill etc.

This is exactly what I would do. While you are under no obligation to offer it back to her, it would be a nice gesture.

s7714
10-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe she was feeling pressured to sell it vs. just give it away to try to recoup some money and just didn't know how to tell you? Kind of like how you didn't know how to tell her you'd already bought one of your own? ;)

Personally I'd just tell her you got a great deal on the stroller you really, really wanted online and ask if anyone else had been interested in her stroller so you could pass the love onto them. If no one else was interested ask her if she'd like it back. If she doesn't want it back, then IMO it's yours to sell or donate as you see fit. (But if you did sell it, I'd personally give her a cut of the money.)

irie i
10-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I would tell her that my Mom/Sister/Someone close found the stroller on sale and was super excited to gift it and that I don't want to hurt their feelings by not using it. :D