PDA

View Full Version : vaporizer help...

MontrealMum
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I've done a search and it seems that most of you recommend the Vick's warm mist humidifier/vaporizer. Is this the same one? http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2774068&cp=2567319.2582984.2774068 If it is, I'd like to send DH to get it at BRU after work today. DS desperately needs something and all we have is a regular humidifier (with filter that needs cleaning) which is big enough for several rooms. I'm looking for something smaller which does steam only, and I don't want to worry about mold build-up.

elektra
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't know if this is the one that everyone recommended but I'm pretty sure it's the one I have.
It gets pretty steamy (which I like), just FYI. It set our smoke alarm off once even.

MontrealMum
10-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks! We're looking for steamy, and I'll watch out for the smoke alarm :)

WatchingThemGrow
10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
For the kids' rooms, we have the critter ones (frogs, specifically) and they seem to do well. DH adds a tiny drop of the bacteriostat to the water and they stay really clean. Every month or so we swish around some cleanseclean stuff BBB sells just to make sure nothing is growing. They seems to be great. I like that you can adjust the amount of steam.

Not sure about the warm mist ones. I bought one at Target last week and it made some gurgly boiling noise 2x in the middle of the night that made DH sit bolt upright in bed screaming 1) who's breaking into our house and 2) are there squirrels in the attic again? Needless to say, he turned it off and dried it out and sent it back to the store.

We're currently waiting for a cool mist tower to ship to our local wal-mart. We tried an Air-O-Swiss from the local vacuum shop, but it seemed over the top for our needs.

mytwoboys
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a cold mist because I always thought you should stay away from warm. Is warm better? Both DSs get croup several times a winter and DS#1 has had to go to ER twice last year because of it. I'm wondering if the warm mist would be better. (Sorry to hijack your tread!) Anyhow, we have a cool mist in each bedroom and a rather large one in the living room. I change the filters of the bedroom ones once a month and wash them all out with a cleaner I bought at BBB, let them dry in the tub and then put them back in the room. I just do it on the 1st of every month so it's easy to remember.