PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Ragan

tylersmama
10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
One year ago today, my friend Ragan died of breast cancer. She was 32 years old and left behind a beautiful baby girl and tons of broken-hearted family and friends. She was diagnosed just weeks after giving birth to her daughter and fought hard but was unable to beat this horrible disease.

Please, ladies, remember to do your self-exam. EVERY month. It's so very important.

One wonderful thing you can do to help in this fight is to go to www.armyofwomen.org (http://www.armyofwomen.org) and sign up to be a part of research to help eradicate breast cancer.

And if you don't mind, send a spare thought or prayer to Ragan's family today. I know they could use it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

Fairy
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
i'm sorry about Ragan.:grouphug:

I saw Olivia Newton John on Bonnie Hunt the other day, and she developed this product that helps you identify the lumps in your breast. It looked really fantastic, and they were giving them away at a chain store in the US, but I forget which. If you go to Bonnie's site, you'll probably find it. I have to run and get DS, but if I come back and see no one's found it yet, I'll find the link and post it.

wellyes
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
:candle:

I'm so glad she had the opportunity to have a baby and spend at least a little time with the LO. I'm her age with a new baby and am counting my blessings right now.

karolyp
10-29-2008, 07:54 PM
my thoughts and prayers are with Ragan and her family.

And I am just so sorry for their loss

Fairy
10-29-2008, 08:11 PM
i'm sorry about Ragan.:grouphug:

I saw Olivia Newton John on Bonnie Hunt the other day, and she developed this product that helps you identify the lumps in your breast. It looked really fantastic, and they were giving them away at a chain store in the US, but I forget which. If you go to Bonnie's site, you'll probably find it. I have to run and get DS, but if I come back and see no one's found it yet, I'll find the link and post it.

ETA --> Ok, they're not free. But here they are, exclusively at Curves in the US. http://www.liv.com/free_liv_aids_aware.php

MamaMolly
10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. :grouphug: You have found a wonderful way to honor her valiant fight, by using her passing to help save others!

rlu
10-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. A sobering message for sure.

I scheduled my mammogram today and then a coworker confided to me she had a breast lump biopsied yesterday - she expects results on Friday.

Prayers and positive thoughts to all who are affected.

tamie
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Keeping Ragan's family in my prayers. I am so sorry you lost your friend.

I will also remember Ragan as DH and I walk in the Breast Cancer 3Day (60 miles in 3 days) beginning tomorrow. DH lost his sister Kelly to this nasty disease on 9/12/08.

Hugs to you.

tylersmama
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Big hugs to you and all of your DH's family, Tamie. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you have a wonderful experience with the 3 Day. I've always wanted to do it, but it's never worked out for a variety of reasons. I do the Danskin Women's Triathlon (supporting the Breast Cancer Research Foundation) and volunteer at the Tri for the Cure every summer and it's ALWAYS a hugely emotional experience.

I definitely take it as the silver lining in Ragan's passing that her experience truly opened my eyes to the importance of regular self-exams and supporting research against breast cancer. I've kind of turned it into a personal crusade to spread the word wherever I can.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

JTsMom
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. :hug: Sending thoughts of peace to her friends and family.

MontrealMum
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM
:candle: I'll be thinking about you, your friend Ragan, and everyone she left behind.

mamicka
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Thinking of you, Gaye. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

LarsMal
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
You posted about this last year when it happened, didn't you? This sounds so familiar to me.

How is the baby and her family doing one year later? I can't even imagine what it must be like for a family to lose such a young mother with a young baby. Heartbreaking.

Ragan and her family are in my thoughts and prayers, as is everyone else fighting the disease and those who have lost the battle. It was 10 years ago this week that a very special person I knew lost her 20 year battle with the disease. Praying for cure as well!

tylersmama
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, I've posted about Ragan here a couple of times, when she was first diagnosed, and then again when she passed away. Her family is doing ok. Her husband is very fortunate that her parents are fairly wealthy and semi-retired, so her mom comes out to stay for about a week a month. I think life is starting to move on a little bit for him, which is as it should be. Lili is a beautiful, happy little girl. I know her family is doing everything they can to make sure that Ragan is a part of her life.