PDA

View Full Version : please recommend a mattress?

lmh2402
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
hi there

would love advice/feedback from BTDT moms for a great mattress

we're expecting our first baby and i'm really unsure about what to go for - coils, foam, organic, etc...

many thanks!

arivecchi
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I have the Colgate Classica I and love it. It is lightweight (great for those middle of the night sheet changes) and of great quality. You can get it online for about $110. My son is 22 months old now and absolutely loves his crib, so it must be a comfy mattress! It also has the best rating from Baby Bargains!

Lance W
11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
The mattresses that most people get from me are made by Pure Rest Organic out of San Diego. The prices range from around 300 to 450.00 depending on if they get the innerspring or the natural/organic rubber mattresses. there are also a bunch of custom sized smaller mattresses as well that people will get. Having said this, the highest quality that I have found are the Pure Rest Organic and Ecobaby Organic products.

Something to also be aware of is that there have been some studies in Europe that SUGGEST non-organic crib mattresses could be a contributing factor to SIDS. When those studies came out, the organic crib mattresses became much more popular.

***As a disclaimer I am an educator and owner of an online and local business that specializes in these products.

rhettsmom
11-16-2008, 01:51 AM
I have the Moonlight Slumber mattress, and have never regretted spending a bit more money to get him this mattress (although before I bought it - I questioned my decision constantly)

I love the material, it's somehow soft and not "crunchy" but yet wipes clean so easily. There aren't any exposed seams for yucky things to get in either. Almost two years later, this was a great choice for me, and I will buy again from them when DS goes to a big boy bed!

zag95
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I also bought the Colgate Classica- it is a foam mattress- but is great. I read about it in Baby Bargains- and it truly does make changing the bed easier! It has a snug fit in our Pali crib, which was important so there wouldn't be little arms or legs getting caught between the crib and mattress.

I think we spent like $100 or just a bit more. We could have gone cheaper-but the lightweight factor on this was a real sell!

Our daughter has slept in her crib since she came home from the hospital- it has served us well so far, as she is almost 10 months old and began sleeping on her mattress once we came home from the hospital!

Good luck!

arivecchi
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I also bought the Colgate Classica- it is a foam mattress- but is great. I read about it in Baby Bargains- and it truly does make changing the bed easier! It has a snug fit in our Pali crib, which was important so there wouldn't be little arms or legs getting caught between the crib and mattress.

I think we spent like $100 or just a bit more. We could have gone cheaper-but the lightweight factor on this was a real sell!

Our daughter has slept in her crib since she came home from the hospital- it has served us well so far, as she is almost 10 months old and began sleeping on her mattress once we came home from the hospital!

Good luck! Totally agree! I just bought a second one for the baby that is on the way. By the way, I use them with the Sealy waterproof mattress cover. It gives the mattress a bit more cushion and protects it from diaper leaks.

srhs
11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, we have this one if you have any questions about it:
http://www.moonlightslumber.com/starlight_support-supreme-1.cfm
Moonlight Slumber Supreme Crib Mattress All Foam w/Visco

It has lots of good features. TaChapm here helped me when I was contemplating my options. I agonized over the $$, but it was what I chose in the end. (I got free shipping at BabyandMeBoutique.com.) It cost more than our crib, but it's what baby actually sleeps on when in there.
The antimicrobial features gave me peace of mind.
I personally knew I wanted foam because of the weight. You have to pick them up to change the sheets and such. Really no reason IMHO to have a heavy one.

(We ended up buying the MS changing table pad and 2 adult pillows as well.)

splash8
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Has anyone tried the Classica II? It says it's slightly less firm, but I'm wondering if it's still firm enough to prevent SIDS. They have it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $149...where is everyone else buying their Classicas?

Thanks!

arivecchi
12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I just bought one from Great Beginnings online for $99.

http://www.greatbeginningsonline.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=41&ITEM_ID=20275

fluffyt
12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
have you had any trouble with crib sheets not fitting the Colgate mattresses? the depth of the mattresses is a bit smaller than the standard size (5.375" vs. standard 6") so I just wanted to be sure that I could use regular fitted crib sheets with them. the Visco-Classica is the only Colgate foam one that is 6" deep. Please advise. Thank you!!

arivecchi
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
No issues here with sheets and the Colgate Classica I mattress. In fact, just the opposite, sheets seem to be lot more snug on the Colgate. So much so that my MIL ditched her $200 crib mattress and bought a Classica because she did not like the fact that the sheets were not that snug on the one she had bought!

fluffyt
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
thanks for your response - i was wondering if the extra $$ differential between the Classica III and Visco-Classica was worth the difference in depth but it seems like it's not. I'll be purchasing the Classica III for my crib!

thewebbie
12-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I bought an organic one, it is this one:
http://ecobaby.com/catalog/product.asp?pf_id=cribstd
I also have an organic wool puddle pad. I don't have strong feeling about organic sheets, so I have both organic sheets and regular quickzip sheets.

If I have to choose where to put the money, I'd rather not have a crib but have a mattress that I am sure is healthy for my baby.. While a lot of this is still debatable, why taking the chance?

arivecchi
12-20-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for your response - i was wondering if the extra $$ differential between the Classica III and Visco-Classica was worth the difference in depth but it seems like it's not. I'll be purchasing the Classica III for my crib!

By the way, I forgot to mention that I use a Sealy mattress cover for possible leaks. That makes it even more of a snug fit. My MIL does not though and hers fit well as well. Good luck!

fluffyt
12-21-2008, 03:31 PM
thanks ariveraz - i ordered the Classica III mattress this morning from greatbeginnings!

arivecchi
12-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Hope you got a good deal! Good luck!

dcwcat97
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Everyone's talking about the classica... I'm trying to debate between the Naturepedic and the Moonlight Slumber... I haven't been able to see a moonlight slumber at the store (looking at Starlight support supreme). However, I checked out the Naturepedic ORGANIC-SQUARE CORNERS 252 COILS.

My issue has been with the covering... Naturepedic says everything is organic, and the cover is free from the chemicals... However, upon smelling it, it smells like vinyl. Also, on the edges, this store model had cracks in the cover. Nothing major, but cracks nonetheless...

Can anyone tell me about these two, and your experiences with them? Thanks.

rhettsmom
12-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I've said before that I love love love my moonlight slumber. You can contact the company to see if there's a store nearby you that carries them so you can see it and feel it in person. You'll be amazed at how soft the waterproof cover is!! Although the moonlight slumber is not organic, it does not have any added chemicals to make it fire resistant. It uses natural ingredients.

I ordered mine online after much consideration. I never regretted the decision once it arrived. When I unboxed it, it did have a bit a "smell" as many new things do, but upon airing out for a few hours, the smell disappeared.

The customer service from the company was amazing, and my mattress arrived so fast. I'm so glad I went with this one, and I can promise I will buy again for baby #2 when he/she arrives.

Did I mention that since it's memory foam, the mattress is light weight and easy to change? We've already been through a stomach bug (wipes down like a dream) and many leak diapers (it's gonna happen!)

kusumat
12-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Everyone's talking about the classica... I'm trying to debate between the Naturepedic and the Moonlight Slumber... I haven't been able to see a moonlight slumber at the store (looking at Starlight support supreme). However, I checked out the Naturepedic ORGANIC-SQUARE CORNERS 252 COILS.

My issue has been with the covering... Naturepedic says everything is organic, and the cover is free from the chemicals... However, upon smelling it, it smells like vinyl. Also, on the edges, this store model had cracks in the cover. Nothing major, but cracks nonetheless...

Can anyone tell me about these two, and your experiences with them? Thanks.

We have used the 252 coils Naturepedic for 5 months and are happy with it. I don't smell vinyl or have any other problems. Let me know if you have any other questions.