PDA

View Full Version : NYT blog: Parents and Daylights Saving Time

citymama
10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Too true! Not looking fwd to waking up at 5 on Sunday morning...
[sleepy smiley would go here, but I can't seem to find one]

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/the-daylight-savings-loss/?hp

October 29, 2008
The Daylight Saving Loss

By Lisa Belkin (http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/author/lisa-belkin/)
Daylight Saving Time ends this weekend, at 2 a.m. on Sunday.

Fall back: my favorite night of the year. A gift from the government, that extra hour of sleep. I look forward to it all year, and distinctly remember my horror during my first changeover as a new parent, when my gift turned on me.

An adult switching from Daylight Saving Time to standard time wakes up in response to her body clock, looks at the time, sees it is an hour earlier than it was 24 hours ago and happily goes back to sleep. A parent, on the other hand, does all that, then hears the sounds of a wide awake young one in the other room.

Instead of an extra hour of sleep, parents of young children get an hour less. The clock says 5 a.m., the baby says “woohoo, it feels like 6!” Then, in the evening, they start sleepily fussing a full hour before it is time to go to bed.

[...]

It is one of many moments that used to be relaxing but become something else when seen through a parent’s lens. Long plane rides are no longer about a stack of good magazines. Long car rides are no longer about leaving the direct route and finding an off-beat place for lunch. Your spouse being off at a work dinner no longer means a chick flick for you, or a beer with friends.
[...]

elephantmeg
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
amen! how true

srhs
10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
[sleepy smiley would go here, but I can't seem to find one]

Funny you should say that. I've said the same thing in various posts and just put in a request in the "Smilies..." thread in the Suggestion forum this afternoon.

ast96
10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
That's my friend's blog! She is so good and so dead-on!

stella
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM

She is definitely on top of it!

TonFirst
10-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Dude! You know Lisa Belkin? She who coined the phrase "opt-out revolution?" AWESOME. I have loved her for years. (See also: Judith Warner.)

citymama
10-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Dude! You know Lisa Belkin? She who coined the phrase "opt-out revolution?" AWESOME. I have loved her for years. (See also: Judith Warner.)

Yeah! Tell her she has a fan club! (Although don't tell her where we hang out - I don't want to see us quoted in the NYT!) Lisa Belkin rocks.

lmwbasye
10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
And can I just add how wonderful it is that DH redeployed Sunday after two weeks home, causing my 4 year old to start waking up at 5 a.m. all this week...meaning 4 a.m. on Sunday!!!

caleymama
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Dude! You know Lisa Belkin? She who coined the phrase "opt-out revolution?" AWESOME. I have loved her for years.

That's what I was thinking! :bowdown: I still have the hard copy of the NYT Magazine about the opt-out revolution saved from 2003. I more recently read with great interest the piece on Mom and Dad sharing it all.

To the OP: I am so not looking forward to Sunday . . . but thanks for posting that blog piece!

jhrabosk
10-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Another huge Lisa Belkin fan! I loved her final Life's Work column, about how she went looking for answers and just found more questions. She's been my icon in my quest for a better work-life balance.

TonFirst
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I more recently read with great interest the piece on Mom and Dad sharing it all.

The couples in that piece were... something else. It was a fascinating read. I would love to see a follow-up piece in a year or so.

Do any of y'all read "The Medium," Virginia Heffernan's column in the NYT Magazine? A few months ago (I *think* it was in that column) she wrote about looking for diaper bags online, finding this diaper bag message board and listserve... She described the diaper bag lifestyle pretty accurately.