PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller for a Bugaboo-lover?

MamaBear
10-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm totally getting ahead of myself (I just got my BFP on Monday), but as a stroller-aholic, I'm already fantasizing about my double stroller. (Ok, I've been thinking about this since we decided to TTC#2, I'll admit it!)

I *love* my Cameleon. Since there seems to be no sign of Bugaboo coming out with a double (or does anyone know any differently??), I'm looking for recommendations of doubles that might appeal. There is so much about my Bug that I couldn't live without in a stroller - most notably the easy steering, extendable handlebar, AT(-ish) capability and comfort for the rider. Other things I'd really like in a double are good sun coverage, good basket, full recline to fully upright seat. I would *love* a bassinet option. Being able to attach my SafeSeat would be nice. In short, I want a double Cameleon :wink2: Since it doesn't exist, though, I want something similar.

In my pre-BFP days, I've been browsing through the Bumbleride Indie Twin, the P&T Twin (personally don't care for the inline model), and the Valco Twin. I'm not so keen on the MBUD. The Firstwheels twin seems like it would be the best alternate to a Bugaboo in terms of design, but I haven't seen many Firstwheels about and so haven't got a good sense of whether they're good strollers. They also seem quite heavy.

My son is 2 now, and quite tall (95th percentile or so), so I also need a stroller that'll fit a tall kid. He's a runner, so although getting a buggy board for the Cameleon is an option, I think I'll still need to be able to contain him in a stroller seat.

So, any suggestions? I'm in Canada, so some brands you've got in the US won't be available here, but in a couple weeks I'll be visiting a friend in Atlanta and might be able to convince her to take me stroller browsing. We've also got family in Europe, so a European brand might be possible, too.

Assuming all goes well, I've got a while 'til I have to make a decision, but no harm in planning ahead, right?

MamaBear
10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
PS - anyone ever see an I'Coo Platon Duo (http://www.hauck-group.de/en/untertyp.asp?PLID=4&BID=18&KID=1&HID=8) in person?

WatchingThemGrow
10-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I think if you search on it, you might find where I've said the BJCED is the double stroller for Bugaboo owners. A lot of the same "genre" capabilities... I think we'll be taking it to Atlanta after T'giving, but you can also contact BJ cust. service and find out who might have some in stock so you can get your hands on it. Highly recommend it, and I highly recommend trying it out in person.

With that and the wheeled board for the Cameleon, and a single Triumph, I feel like I have THE perfect fleet for any situation.

Congrats on the BFP! Exciting, isn't it?

elektra
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I saw that the UPPA Baby Vista 2009 model will have the option for a second seat. I used to have a Vista and I really liked it, and based on some of the latest stroller comments here on the board, it's gaining in popularity as a good Bugaboo alternative. I think that I'Coo looks pretty cool too!
Another double I just saw posted earlier this week by strollerqueen was a Jane Powertwin which looked REALLY cool too. I know I'll be looking more into that one in the upcoming months. Not so bugagoo-ish but still cool in alot of ways.

MamaBear
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
What about the Bebecar Vector Duo? Has it been seen IRL?

(I wish Bugaboo would just make a double!)

MamaBear
11-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Bumping this up.

Strollerqueen (or anyone else) - have you heard any rumours about a Bugaboo double? How does the Firstwheels compare? Any ideas on the I'Coo Platon Duo, iPear, and Bebecar Vector Duo? Or the Mutsy with the doubles seat? TIA:wink2:

mongo
11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I bought the firstwheels city twin from Canada and so far it's great. I believe that with the seats it's close to the 30 lbs of alot of double strollers, but it has almost the same look/feel of a bugaboo. The only thing I didn't like, was that the front wheels are not foam or rubber, but a plastic. I kind of think that for the higher price, you should get a better material.

Anyway, I see from Firstwheels site that the 2009 models are coming out soon and they will have a much richer look to them with aluminum trim and little bit more reinforcement between the seat frame and the point at which they attach to the stroller frame.

One thing I realized after getting the stroller though was that I probably could have saved some money by not purchasing the basinnetts since the seats do recline and the footmuffs (extra $) are very padded even for newborns.

I went looking at the valco lattitude, trimode, and city mini and they really didn't come close to replicating the look and feel of a bugaboo (reversible seats, aluminum folding frame, detachable seat/bassinetts). The trimode was especially huge.

WatchingThemGrow
11-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Mongo, have you started using the stoller yet? I didn't hear if the babies were born yet. Congrats if so!

MamaBear
11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Are FirstWheels strollers not available in the US? (I am in Canada.)

mongo
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
firstwheels are not distributed in the US, but you can get one by mail order from a retailer in Canada. Jolly Jumper is the Canadian importer, but firstwheels is the manufacturer's name.

MamaBear
11-06-2008, 09:33 PM
firstwheels are not distributed in the US, but you can get one by mail order from a retailer in Canada. Jolly Jumper is the Canadian importer, but firstwheels is the manufacturer's name.
Not often we've got a product in Canada that you can't get in the States! I've seen FirstWheels strollers in shops (although, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one in use...), and had no idea that you couldn't get them south of the border.

mongo
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Not often we've got a product in Canada that you can't get in the States! I've seen FirstWheels strollers in shops (although, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one in use...), and had no idea that you couldn't get them south of the border.

Yeah it's like Zellers, Canadian Tire, Roots, The Bay, and Firstwheels are about it!

MamaBear
11-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah it's like Zellers, Canadian Tire, Roots, The Bay, and Firstwheels are about it!

And Tim Horton's - mmmm!

mongo
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM
No, we even have Tim Horton's here in some states now!

wholesometummies
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
This is a great thread! Its exactly what I am looking for- basically a bug double LOL!!

I am canadian by birth but now live in Florida so OMG do I miss Tim Hortons :)

mongo
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
a double bugaboo seems like an obvious product. With the boom in the number of multiple births (just look at hollywood as a barometer) you'd think the folks at bug would get into this market with some offering. I contacted bugaboo a few months ago and they sent me a generic email saying that they were working on a double and that they would announce it soon. However, I found that such messages were being sent over 2 years ago, so "soon" may be a long way away, especially for people needing a stroller now.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Mongo, I don't think you saw my earlier question. Are your babies here and have you started using your stroller yet? If they have arrived, congrats!!

mongo
11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Sorry. No they're not here yet. We've only taken out the stroller for test drives with family member's babies when they've come to visit. So far so good on all fronts.

strollerqueen
11-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Bumping this up.

Strollerqueen (or anyone else) - have you heard any rumours about a Bugaboo double? How does the Firstwheels compare? Any ideas on the I'Coo Platon Duo, iPear, and Bebecar Vector Duo? Or the Mutsy with the doubles seat? TIA:wink2:

Yes, they have been saying for years that a double is "in the works." We have a girl on Strollerswap who used to distribute First Wheels, but stopped due to quality issues. She has written a lot about it, if you do a search. You can also do a search for Stroll-Air. That would be the other one that is most similar to what you are looking for. All of the others you mentioned are not sold in the US, and they are very heavy. I would not compare them with the Bug at all. People who wanted a Bug double always used to buy a MBUD. Too bad it doesn't reverse.

mongo
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I was interested in the stroll-air spider duo novo too, however it was discontinued this year and it's almost impossible to find online.

I found one online mid year, but didn't buy it because I read about quality complaints about the stroll-air collapsing upon hitting a bump on uneven pavement and decided it wouldn't be a safe bet for city living.

Also, even though the stroll-air is technically sold in the US their customer service was awful in just tyring to get some information on their products because the dealer network is so small.

Firstwheels however answered my emails within 1 day from Holland, and they provided a 1 year warranty. With not many options out there, you work with what you have I guess and try not to beat up on your things.

What sort of quality issues were reported with the firstwheels products?

MamaBear
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes, they have been saying for years that a double is "in the works." We have a girl on Strollerswap who used to distribute First Wheels, but stopped due to quality issues. She has written a lot about it, if you do a search. You can also do a search for Stroll-Air. That would be the other one that is most similar to what you are looking for. All of the others you mentioned are not sold in the US, and they are very heavy. I would not compare them with the Bug at all. People who wanted a Bug double always used to buy a MBUD. Too bad it doesn't reverse.

Thanks, Strollerqueen! I like that the MBUD has the bassinet option, but I don't like the canopy at all, especially that it is a single canopy for both seats. I'm in Canada, but my husband's family is all in Germany so that's why I'm open to European strollers - it is certainly possible for us to get one shipped over. I, too, would be interested to hear the quality issues surrounding FirstWheels strollers.

Since there seem to be so many Bug fans wanting a double Bugaboo, it's a shame and a surprise that the company hasn't been scrambling to get one out. Even a double Bee would be nice.

mongo
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
for those insterested in how the firstwheels works, you might want to look at the group of youtube videos on the product and its accessories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tt8OLoISzY