PDA

View Full Version : When you see a pregnant person...

pb&j
10-29-2008, 10:01 PM
deleted

carolinamama
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
And my personal favorite - are you sure you aren't having twins? When the person knows that you are in fact carrying one baby.

I am sure you are a beautiful pregnant woman and only showing in your belly!!

elizabethkott
10-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh, my favorite was, "how much weight *HAVE* you gained?"
Um, enough for me to sit on you accidentally and smother your stupid-butt face.
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute and sexy! I had no idea you were even pregnant! Seriously, you look like you just had a big lunch or drank too much water or something!

pb&j
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
And my personal favorite - are you sure you aren't having twins? When the person knows that you are in fact carrying one baby.

:)

I got the twins thing all.the.time with my pg w/DS. Luckily this time around, there is a woman in my office who is ACTUALLY pregnant with twins. :D

DrSally
10-29-2008, 11:15 PM
ITA! Also, don't aski if she's having twins, don't make jokes about how much food she's eating, and DO NOT utter the word "fat"!

YEs, all of these have happened to me numerous times.

MamaMolly
10-29-2008, 11:48 PM
...and do not act shocked the is still pregnant and ask when she is going to 'squeeze that puppy out'.

Especially if you happen to be a female colleague of the pregnant woman. Cause she might just chew you up and spit you out for fun. I think I'm still cleaning that woman out from between my molars...and DD is 2!

kijip
10-30-2008, 01:25 AM
And don't acted shocked when they are carrying a lap top bag or a sack of groceries. Many pregnant mothers have older children that must be carried, to say nothing of the lead basketball they are toting internally! They can likely carry a bag 25 feet without having someone admonish them and cluck. If you don't want to see me carrying something, offer to carry it yourself...don't chide me! :wink2:

KHF
10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
I hear you...I came around the corner at work the other day and one of my co-workers said, "WHOA!!!" when he saw my belly. Nice.

shawnandangel
10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Don't tell me I look too small to be full term. I know I was too small, it's called low amniotic fluid and why yes I do have reason to be concerned about the baby's safety and it's why I had to be induced at 39 weeks. jerk. :6:

I swear, it's like people think you're starving your baby or something when my medical issues are none of their business in the first place.

mikeys_mom
10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
And when you know that a pregnant woman is in fact having twins, do not tell her every day that she looks like she will be full term next month, especially since you know that she's still got 5 months left. I get this at least once a day from my co-workers.

Yes, I know that my belly is expanding at an alarmingly fast rate and no, I do not think that I will "tip over" if it gets too big. I don't even know what that means, but a few people have asked me that.

mommylamb
10-30-2008, 09:13 AM

I got this one when I was pregnant a couple times and it made me SO mad!!

A friend of mine (who actually was having twins) had this experience while pregnant. She was having breakfast with her grandparents at an IHOP and ordered coffee with her food. When the waitress came around for refills, she started to give my friend decaf. My friend said, oh no, I had regular, and the waitress said to her, oh no, Honey, I gave you decaf. Like it's the waitresses business whether my friend drank some caffeine that morning!! I told her she should have said to the waitress, oh no, Honey, I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat.

Moneypenny
10-30-2008, 10:13 AM
And when you are talking to a pregnant woman, look at her face, not her belly. I actually had one coworker apologize to me by saying, "I'm sorry. I just can't stop staring at it."

It. Niiiiiiice.

Snow mom
10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
...just tell her she looks awesome and has a cute belly and you can't even tell she's pregnant from behind. Even (especially!) if it's not true.

Some women carry high, some carry low, I swear I'm carrying in my butt :) It's funny when I say it but common courtesy says you should not point it out to me...

Ceepa
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
And as pp said, don't tell a woman that she's tiny for how pregnant she is with a concerned look on your face. Different people carry pregnancy differently.

ritacheetah
11-02-2008, 02:40 PM
When I was pg with DD1, there were about 10 others that were also pg. I posted an article in our company newsletter called "10 things NOT to say to a pregnant woman."

Many of the above posts were included, also:

You look like you swallowed a basketball (you're going to swallow a basketball in a minute)

Are you sure your allowed to drink coffee/get a flu shot/ eat shrimp/ fly?

You look so cute (acceptable until the 8th month, after that there is no convincing us we look "cute")

You must be having a boy/girl based on how you are carrying. I am NEVER wrong...

Just WAIT...

You are HUGE! (thanks for reminding me, I haven't looked in a mirror in 6 months).