PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the nation's oldest voter, age 109, daughter of a freed slave

kijip
10-30-2008, 02:12 AM
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/10/27/1027jones.html

Amanda Jones, 109, the daughter of a man born into slavery, has lived a life long enough to touch three centuries. And after voting consistently as a Democrat for 70 years, she has voted early for the country's first black presidential nominee.

Pretty interesting story. She lives in Texas. That is one long lived family. :bowdown:

mommy111
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I saw this on the news, and thought, wow!!!!
Also, win or lose, I really hope Obama's grandma lives to see election day. She must be so proud!

caleymama
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Wow! That's amazing. What a great story.

StantonHyde
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much Katie!!! That is so AMAZING!! I was just talking to a coworker that I was born in '65 so right around the Civil Rights struggle and to think that in 40 years we have an African American running for President. But this woman--wow--what an amazing experience.

I took my kids with me to vote early yesterday and I gave them a big talk on how important and historic this election is and how amazing it is that we can vote for a president who has dark skin instead of white skin. And I said to my daughter--and a woman ran a good campaign to be one of the people we could vote for, too. To think that in her life time, we will see a woman president. It just gives me the excitement chills.

But then this woman--good gravy, talk about living long enough to go to your grave happy. wow. :bowdown:

brittone2
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I've been volunteering here in NC for the Obama campaign and canvassing neighborhoods. Last weekend we focused on a local neighborhood that is probably 99% African American residents. It has been amazing to see the pure *joy* some of these people are experiencing at having the opportunity to vote for Obama. I've had some wonderful conversations that I'll cherish for a long time to come. It has been wonderful to witness their enthusiasm, and so many of the people I met are interested in volunteering, working the polls, etc. :)

Thanks for sharing this story!

DrSally
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Great story! Brought tears to my eyes. Brittone2, your experience sounds wonderful. One of my friends from Grad school has been volunteering for Obama in NC too. That would be so cool if NC went to OBama

kijip
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Catholic nun in Rome votes for Obama.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6037036

brittone2
10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Great story! Brought tears to my eyes. Brittone2, your experience sounds wonderful. One of my friends from Grad school has been volunteering for Obama too. That would be so cool if NC went to OBama

Crossing my fingers. We were hoping it would be a possibility but it seemed like a long shot. Now it seems quite possible! It keeps us motivated. DH and I are canvassing tomorrow morning and again on Election Day (thank goodness for early voting...it frees us up to help on E-day!).

citymama
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Wonderful story, thanks.

Here's another beautiful one of an elderly Obama volunteer who got to meet the candidate - the last 30 seconds are so inspiring in terms of his message about the next generation. It brought tears to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-6DpC-mj8

Waiting to exhale next Wednesday....