PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Ever Have Strep Throat?

randomkid
10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I have an incredibly red, swollen sore throat. It is less swollen today than last night, but is so red and painful. I've never had strep throat, so don't know what it looks like. I do have a couple of white patches, but they don't really look like pus, maybe just swollen tissue? No fever or other symptoms other than being tired (likely because I kept waking myself up last night from snoring due to my throat being so swollen!). Could this be strep?

With the weekend approaching, I want to go to the MD if necessary, but I don't think I'm sick enough to have strep. However, since I never had it before, I don't know if you can have it without fever. Anyone BTDT?

lilycat88
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd see a doc with the weekend coming up. The only time I've ever snored so much I woke myself up was when I had strep. But, I had a pretty high fever as well.

WatchingThemGrow
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
It always feel like I can't swallow when strep is setting in.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I think that you should get it checked out before the weekend. If you suspect it and it's positive then you can start meds before you feel really crappy.

If you don't go and it gets worse, those urgi-care places are good for handling these sorts of things.

Beth

fivi2
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I have always had a super high fever with strep, but I would imagine everyone is different! I would call the doctor. Once you start the antibiotics you usually feel better quickly.

icunurse
10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
White patches are one of the hallmark signs of strep. I would get it checked out to be on the safe side, even at one of the Minute Clinics at CVS or something (I *think* they can do a rapid strep test there).

CAM7
10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Can you get into urgent care this afternoon or tonight?

If you have kids in the house you may want to get a culture to see if you've got it.

Feel better!

mecawa
10-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Yes, you can have it without a fever, I have. I have had docs tell me you definitely don't look like you have strep, by looking at my throat and then get back to me and tell me I do after they run a test, it really depends on the person. If you suspect you have it I would go to the doctor, if it is strep, it just starts to feel worst as time goes on, not better. I use to get strep sometimes 2 or 3 times a year from elementary school up through college, I'm like really prone to it or something, yet I can be around someone with a stomach bug and not get it at all.

irie i
10-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Ick I had strep throat a few times when I was in high school...it is miserable! Get to a doctor or an urgent care. Thankfully if this is strep you caught it early...it can get really painful and annoying...and it gets difficult to sleep or get any relief. The sooner you see a doc the better...you will feel loads better almost immediately. *hugs to you* Hope you feel better soon!

wendibird22
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I had it a few years ago and had a fever, cold symptoms and felt like I had been run over by a truck.

lil_acorn
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I second the last poster. All 3-4 times I have had strep, I felt like I was run over by a truck.

kep
10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I usually have a moderate to high fever, and often am vomitting as well. Yuck.

randomkid
10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't think I'm really sick enough to have strep although my throat is quite red and sore. I'm going to wait and see how I feel tomorrow, then go to the doctor if I'm not feeling better or if I'm getting worse. Still no fever and the swelling has gone down a bit.

bubbaray
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I used to get strep throat alllll the time as a kid/teen. Seriously, probably 5x/year. EVERY time I had a raging fever and was unable to swallow. It was horrible. I'm pretty sure someone in my family was a carrier. IIRC, if a child now gets strep throad repeatedly, they test and treat the whole family.

thomma
10-31-2008, 07:07 AM
I hope you're feeling better.
I had strep in September. For me the difference between strep and a sore throat/virus is that I cannot eat or drink anything...even popsicles hurt. That and a fever. BTW I had my tonsils taken out as a child because I got strep so much. When I went to the drs in September she asked to see my tonsils. She looked a little surprised when I told her I didn't have any. :)

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

randomkid
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
I hope you're feeling better.
I had strep in September. For me the difference between strep and a sore throat/virus is that I cannot eat or drink anything...even popsicles hurt. That and a fever. BTW I had my tonsils taken out as a child because I got strep so much. When I went to the drs in September she asked to see my tonsils. She looked a little surprised when I told her I didn't have any. :)

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

I also had my tonsils out, but I was 20. I had tonsillitis all the time and eventually one of my tonsils abscessed - that's when they decided to take them out.

I can swallow (although it hurts like he!!), and stiil no fever, but my throat is still very red, swollen and painful. I stayed home from work again today. DD is finally well enough to go to school and *I* get sick! I really NEED to work! Still debating on whether or not I should go to the doc.

mamicka
10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
You should really go to the doc. From what you describe it could totally go either way over the weekend - I'd hate for you to suffer through it getting worse.

eliasmom
10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
You should really go to the doc. From what you describe it could totally go either way over the weekend - I'd hate for you to suffer through it getting worse.

ITA. If it gets worse over the weekend, you might be miserable. I used to get strep a lot before my tonsils were removed (as an adult... OUCH) and I NEVER got a fever with it. The white patches were normally the dead giveaway.

For relief, you could try gargling with salt water. It's disgusting, but I have found it to help. I also like Throat Coat tea - not sure what is in it, but it seems to leave a protective layer over your raw throat.

Hope you feel better soon!

Tondi G
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I also had my tonsils out, but I was 20. I had tonsillitis all the time and eventually one of my tonsils abscessed - that's when they decided to take them out.

I can swallow (although it hurts like he!!), and stiil no fever, but my throat is still very red, swollen and painful. I stayed home from work again today. DD is finally well enough to go to school and *I* get sick! I really NEED to work! Still debating on whether or not I should go to the doc.

If you are home anyways and your doctor can see you why not just go in and have them look at your throat! The worst thing they can say is "no it's just viral, deal with it". Chances are with as sore as your throat is it is either Strep Throat or do you have drainage from your sinuses? Sometimes the post nasal drip can do a number on your throat. I had a bad sinus infection a few years back... got a cold, got better, sick again etc. finally I went into the doctor and it was a sinus infection that was just sitting in the back stewing and causing me to cough and have a sore throat!

Hope you feel better! Hot Liquids, honey, tea, chicken soup and some tylenol for the soreness and swelling!

randomkid
10-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I called in to work, but got ready anyway as I thought maybe I could go in for a few hours. DD has been so sick lately that now, when she is healthy, I feel like I need to be at work. However, after getting to the school and carrying DD in (she insists on this everyday), I felt like I was going to fall down.

I went to the doctor and the rapid test came back "weakly positive". :sick: As the MD said, positive is positive, so he put me on antibiotics. I'm so glad I went as it is getting worse and I really don't want DD to get this. I've tried being careful around her, but she tends to get everything. Please send positive vibes that DD won't get sick!

Thank you all for your feedback. Knowing that some people can get this without fever really helped me with my decision to go to the doctor.

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd keep an eye on everyone in your family -- like I said earlier, it can be passed around and some people have it and are completely asymptomatic.

FWIW, you should feel a million times better by this time tomorrow.

Hugs! Sending some virtual chicken soup your way!!