PDA

View Full Version : Very itchy rash on DS's feet - any ideas?

lisams
10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
We've had 2 peds and 2 dermatologists look at it and all they can say is it's *probably* viral exanthem - a rash from some virus and this is his body's way of reacting to it being fought off. It's so vague and from what I've read on the internet those rashes usually aren't itchy and it's usually all over the body, not located to just the feet. I'm worried this could be something more....it's been there for almost 2 weeks and he wakes up all night long trying to scratch them. It's not getting better.

We know it's not Hand foot mouth (all drs. have ruled that out)
They all don't think it's scabies by looking at the rash
It's not spreading beyond his ankles.
We haven't changed anything - same shoes/socks he's been wearing for a few months, still using the same detergent, cleaners on the floor (vinegar), everything we use is free of perfume and dye
We had him go shoe and sock free for a few days and no change in the rash
The prescription hydrocortisone cream isn't helping
Antifungal medication didn't help and they don't think it's that.
He did have a cold with a lingering cough that was ending as this rash showed up.
There are some red splotches on one hand but that doesn't itch
No fever, eating normal, acting normal - just itching his feet all the time.

Here's the wierd thing: when he's running around and really active the rash starts looking better and less red and he doesn't itch. When he's sitting still, like eating dinner in his booster, in his carseat or sleeping at night is when he starts itching and crying about it.

I'm just at a loss. I'm going to make another appointment with another ped. I'm sure they think I'm nuts but I'm worried about what could be causing this and that it's just not getting better. Maybe someone knows something totally off the wall that no one else has thought of?

irie i
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's the wierd thing: when he's running around and really active the rash starts looking better and less red and he doesn't itch. When he's sitting still, like eating dinner in his booster, in his carseat or sleeping at night is when he starts itching and crying about it.

This could be as simple an excuse as this: When he is active he isn't focused on or thinking about the itching and, thus, not scratching it and irritating it further.

Did the docs recommend any anti-itch creams like hydrocortisone or aveeno? This could help him get some relief.

lisams
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
This could be as simple an excuse as this: When he is active he isn't focused on or thinking about the itching and, thus, not scratching it and irritating it further.

Did the docs recommend any anti-itch creams like hydrocortisone or aveeno? This could help him get some relief.

That was a thought I had, I guess the waking up part is what concerns me, since it's enough to wake him up several times a night.

They did give us a prescription strength hydrocortisone (2.5% I think) but it doesn't seem to help. He screams when I put it on - not sure if it's because it burns or if he just doesn't want me messing with his feet.

s_gosney
10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Lisa,
This is just a random guess based on our experience, but dd's feet break out when she's been in grass. The docs have IDed it as eczema, but it doesn't look like typical eczema, instead it looks like hundreds of tiny raised pink bumps. It took us a couple of summers to figure it out...
It itches her so much that it wakes her up too. No fun at all. I give her benadryl at night if she accidentally gets barefoot in some grass.

I hope you figure it out soon.