PDA

View Full Version : Peg Perego quality?

ILoveLucy
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I just bought a new 2007 P3 stroller, but it came to me damaged. Both handles were completely broken off. I was promptly refunded my money, so no complaint on that; however, I still need a stroller. I've wanted a P3 for some time and thought Peg Perego had excellent quality, but now I'm concerned about buying another.

Was it just a fluke that this stroller broke like it did? Is the quality still as high as it has been in years past? I worry that since it couldn't even get to me in one piece in its original box that it won't be up to daily use.

It was really a shame to see an unused stroller broken--I can't imagine how it happened.

Any opinions on Peg Perego quality these days? Thanks!

edurnemk
10-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Most of my friends have P3's, I almost bought one, but after talking to them I decided that I would rather spend more money on a stroller taht would last for more that 1 child. Most of them will say that it's fine but they don't see it lasting more than a couple years and that they'll need a new one for the next baby. One of them actually bought a Maclaren and doesn't use the P3 anymore. Their kids are between 15 and 20 months and all their strollers started showing signs of wear some time ago. But of course we live in Chicago and they get very intensive use, lots of bumpy sidewalks and such. I think it depends on the use you plan to give it. If it's for the mall and light walks / travel it seems a good stroller, and I know people that have used it for 2 babies, but they don't take walks outside everyday with it.

Radosti
10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
We have a P3 and have loved it. Got it for my DS1. So far it's gone with us to Cape Cod, Cancun, Florida. I kept it in my car and used it for everything. Well, after the Florida trip, DS1 had just turned 2, I noticed that it pulls strongly to the right. I thought the airline broke it (they snapped one of the screws holding down the harness, but I was able to replace it). We continued to use it, but it became increasingly unwieldy.

Well, I just tried it two weeks ago for DS2. It maneuvers smooth as butter. Apparently, DS1 is over the 40 lbs weight limit I didn't know about. He's now over 42 lbs and almost 3. So, I love it again. DS2 is almost 5 months and is a little over 18 lbs.

bubbaray
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a P3 and LOVE it. It is my fave stroller. I can not live without the toddler step and I LOVE the Revi Black (black with white polka dots) fabric. I know many people IRL who have had P3s last through multiple children, I have no idea why someone would toss it after one child. The only reason to do that is if you don't maintain/look after your strollers. Keep it clean, lubricate with silicone spray, avoid having the child eat in the stroller and it will look and push like new for years.

strollerqueen
10-30-2008, 10:26 PM
LOL,we think more alike than you can imagine! Even with all the fabulous strollers I have, I just caved and bought a P3, in Revi Black, of course! I think I got Albee's last one, because I haven't seen any more listed since. I am soo happy.

carolines mommy
10-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I've had my P3 for 4 1/2 years now and it is still going strong. Even now I use it with one child in the seat and one on the footrests in back. It is IMO a wonderful stroller and I've had no quality issues with it what so ever. It's been all over the country on flights, to Hawaii and to England. Nothing has ever broken on it. We had a Mac Techno Classic, but sold that one before even considering to sell this one. This P3 WILL be the last stroller to leave the stable. It was the second stroller I ever bought, got up to 9 strollers at one point and it is one of the last 3 I have and the only single stroller left.

Bubbasmom
10-30-2008, 11:20 PM
We walk outside almost everyday with out P3. We go to malls, town centers, grocery stores and airports and other cities. Its okay. I personally think it gets a little rickety and the wheels definitely show their wear. I've owned it for about 10 months. DS is comfortable in it and its got convenient features. I just can't take the rickety movement when walking outdoors.

We've had to remove the wheels and clean them out a few times, the stroller has been banged up (baggage handlers) but the only thing that broke was the button that allows you to adjust the handle bars. It just came off. We never adjusted the handles anyway. I thought that feature was more for show than utility. When our 29lb neice got on the stroller for standing, it became quite rickety after that and we took off the wheels cleaned and greased them and it got better. I'm just not a big fan of this stroller UNLESS you plan to NOT do much walking outside on non-smooth pavement. But its the only one I've owned so my standards may be skewed.

Overall, i find it nicely made, and it has very convenient features (snack tray, cup holder for mom, washable fabric, accepts Chicco Keyfit Carseat)... I just don't like it outdoors. So for us, its not a good stroller.

strollerqueen
10-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, for that amount of walking, I would do a MBUS. At least something with a single bar handle, and air tires.

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
ITA with StrollerQueen. :bowdown:

I don't use my P3 for trails (well, I did once and I agree, not a good fit). I use it for malls, dr's offices/Children's Hospital (long trek from the parking lot), travel. It's my "small" double as DD#1 rides on the step usually. LOVE that.

Around the neighborhood, DH uses our MBUS or BOB (mainly b/c the P3 lives in my van and he typically takes the girls & our dog to the park before I'm home from work). Our BJCSD d/n get much use.

If I had to pick an "only" stroller and needed something for extreme city use (very rough sidewalks, gravel trails), I'd pick an MBUS, BOB or BJCS. My top pick would be the MBUS as I prefer it from birth over the other two.

MamaKath
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Keep it clean, lubricate with silicone spray, avoid having the child eat in the stroller and it will look and push like new for years.

This is key! Any stroller that is used very heavily needs to be treated like a commuter car in many ways. The better you care for it, the longer it lasts.

My Pegs have held up really well. The fabrics are washable and come back really nicely! I have also been very pleased with their customer service.

As for it being the right stroller for you or others you know, it depends. Many city dwellers eventually trade for a lighter stroller and one that folds one handed for ease of use on public transport, especially as their kids get older. Or trade for a heavier hybrid model that has air tires and single handle bar steering if they need a workhorse, indestructible stroller as their only means of transportation.