PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Milk Tea

beansprout13
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone tried this to increase milk supply? Does it work?

I have about 3-4 full days that I need to leave my baby in the next few weeks and I'm trying to pump a bunch of milk for DH to feed to DS2. I'm not getting a ton of milk pumping (a couple of ounces each time) so I'm trying to increase my supply to help with this ... is this tea a good route to go? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Ceepa
10-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Was instructed by my doctor's office not to use it.

tylersmama
10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I used it and had a slight bump in supply but not anything too significant. I've heard that it helped others quite a bit though. FWIW, I think that the straight up tincture (More Milk Plus, I think?) is more effective. It tastes like ^&*$ though! :p

And I'd be curious why pp was told not to use it. I've never heard of any adverse affects from it, other than possibly overstimulating supply.

sidmand
10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I tried that but I'm not a big tea drinker so I don't know how well it worked.

I think what worked best for me was a combination of Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle...and drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep. When I didn't do all of the above pumping didn't work nearly as well!

maestramommy
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I drank a ton of it when bfing Dora, and I *think* it helped. With Arwyn it didn't seem to help at all, but Fenugreek did until near the end.

Ceepa
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
And I'd be curious why pp was told not to use it. I've never heard of any adverse affects from it, other than possibly overstimulating supply.

I'm trying to remember now. I know there was a concern about its safety in relation to one of my health issues, but beyond that my doctor's office took the ingredients list and did some research. When they got back to me they were very uncomfortable with one of the ingredients because it was not recommended for use in children (it may even have been _discouraged_ for use in children, don't remember). We discussed it and were in agreement that we were uncomfortable having me use it. Luckily my supply proved plentiful without it.

wellyes
10-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't see what could be harmful in it... the ones I've had have been made of fennel, star anise, coriander, fenugreek and blessed thistle. All things I eat pretty frequently except blessed thistle, and I've never heard of blessed thistle to be dangerous.

brittone2
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Oatmeal, mother's milk tea, fenugreek, etc. have all given me a little boost n the past. I also used a homeopathic remedy at the advice of my midwife. I've never heard about it anywhere else but it worked for me.

elephantmeg
10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
if you are allergic to peanuts/some grasses you can have a cross reaction to it. I did (the fenugreek)

pinkmomagain
10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
if you are allergic to peanuts/some grasses you can have a cross reaction to it. I did (the fenugreek)

When I tried it, I had a weird sensation in my throat and discontinued using it...figuring it was an allergic reaction of some kind. I do have an allergy to grasses....Thanks for helping it all make some sense!

vludmilla
10-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I did not find it that helpful. The things that did work for me were taking fenugreek three times a day and eating steel cut oatmeal.

Davids-Coco
10-31-2008, 12:27 AM
I find the Milkmaid Tea from Earth Mama Angel Baby did a better job that the Mother's Milk. Something to try!