PDA

View Full Version : Any “home remedies”/ tricks to help with carpal tunnel?

catroddick
10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Hello all,
I’ve always battled carpel tunnel syndrome when my weight gets too high, but have kept it under control for the past couple years. Unfortunately at 5.5 months pg, there doesn’t seem any avoiding it.
This time around it is only in my left hand (so far) and is behaving differently than when I’m just ‘fat”. The carpel tunnel braces don’t seem to be helping. My OB (who I do love) was not able to offer any help- just that it is quite normal.
Does anyone have any tricks they can recommend? Any home remedies to help alleviate the pain?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

catroddick
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Wait! I searched in another area and found a helpful thread. Need to search more thoroughly next time.
:wink2:

citymama
10-31-2008, 02:51 AM
I have been battling CTS and general RSI issues for over a decade now. Unfortunately, the best long-term remedy is staying off your wrists, which is nearly impossible these days. I was not helped by the brace except at night-time, in bed. Make sure your desk/work set-up is ergonomic - see if your employer can bring in an expert to trouble-shoot it. Or if on a computer at home only, then check out some of the websites that advise on ergonomic set-ups. Arm stretches and wrist rotations really help - set a timer for regular breaks if you're on a computer a lot. Cardio-vascular exercise also helps - the overall circulation benefits do have a positive impact on the wrists.

Having given you all this advice, I realize that I'm following almost none of it these days - I had almost kicked my RSI issues a few years ago, but post-baby I have let everything lapse. uh-oh, no wonder I'm in so much pain. :shake:

Melaine
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't have issues with this specifically, but I would recommend looking into Baltic Amber necklaces. If you haven't heard anything about them, this is where I get them.
http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?c=110&p=48717
I'm a big believer, it's definitely helped my neck pain, and my grandmother says it has helped her bercitis (sp?!). For the inexpensive price of a pretty piece of jewelry, it is totally worth a try!

deenass
10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
I beleive they can releive some of the pain. I got a home paraffin wax bath a few years ago at Bed Bath and Beyond. They also sell wax refills.

catroddick
10-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone!
I've been flexing my hand to keep it moving- but had not thought of my wrist- I'll try that too!

srhs
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
How do you feel about chiropractors? I know some good ones who adjust hands & wrists. I mentioned pain in my hand to mine. I hadn't told him which hand before he checked them and verified one was 'out.' He adjusted it, and my pain's all gone! I personally prefer the chiros who use the activators. (What's that method called?) Anyway, I know others who've used chiros to treat CTS.