PDA

View Full Version : Twins a Toddler - How do you do it?

Kindra178
10-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I am only 7 weeks into twin momhood and I am tired. I have a good amount of help, but it is just nonstop. Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited to add - I meant to write that I have twins and a toddler.

Melaine
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
I have twins who are toddlers, so only two, not three, and I still understand what you are going through! I will say that the older the twins got the easier it was (I think more so than a singleton), because the twin dynamic really starts to kick in and they amuse each other and need less constant adult attention. I think in a couple years the three of your children will have a great time together and things will be worlds easier for you! Hang in there, I'm sure it will get better!!!!

gatorsmom
11-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I have 4 and it is nonstop. I have what I would consider a lot of help (part time nanny, twice/month cleaning service, grocery delivery) and I'm still rushing to get laundry done or hung up. The laundry is never completely put away or folded at any point in time. The mess is constant in our kitchen from 2 babies learning to self feed even though I vacuum as much as I can. I'm always needing something from the grocery store or Target whether I happen to be out of a type of formula (we use 2 different types here) or a size of diapers (again, 2 different sizes) or baby food, batteries for toys that don't get turned off, snacks for 2 different preschool classes, etc. And since I"m sleep deprived most of the time (whether it's because the babies woke up at night or I stayed up late to get stuff done), I forget stuff all the time and am not clear headed.

You are definitely not alone. I will say, though, I remember the time you are at now and it does get easier. Well, easier and harder. They start to sleep longer but then they start to eat solids and crawl around. But yeah, you are at a really hard time right now. I've found, however, that no one really expects the mother of twins and a toddler to have her act together and I get a lot of sympathy. I've found that that goes a long way in me being easier on myself for not getting everything perfect. You are not alone. come here and whine as much as you want. We hear ya. :)

sarahbrown29
11-15-2008, 11:21 PM
My twins are 19 months and DD1 is 3 1/2. To be honest, the first year was hard. I had a lot of help (my parents and/or husband were here 7 days a week for the first 4 months) and that made all of the difference. After that, a couple of things helped:
- I nursed my twins ... although this can be grueling - especially if you have slow eaters - it did mean I didn't have to worry about running out of formula
- I used cloth diapers starting around 6 months - again ... more laundry BUT I didn't have to worry about trying to get out to the store to buy more!
- I had a cleaning service every other week for the first 9 months so at least the house was semi-presentable (not that I really cared, but at least my shower was clean, which made me happy!)
- I accepted help any which way someone was offering to give it to me (babysitting, groceries, food)

it IS hard, but I am reaping the rewards now! DD1 is in school 2 mornings a week and DD2 & DD3 actually semi-entertain each other while she is gone! I actually feel bad for singletons (and their mommies!) who have a sibling gone at school.

IT DOES GET BETTER! It is a long road, but you will make it!

Kindra178
11-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Things are getting slightly easier or I am just getting used to it! It's just hard, so I glad you guys understand.

michlyn
12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
I can totally relate. My DD turned 3 when my twins were born and it's been a difficult journey. The first 3 months were a total blur which I think can be a blessing. The hardest part for us is sleep. Dealing with multiple sleep issues from all of our kids, including some sleep regression from our 3 year old. We don't have as much help as we need, but somehow we are doing it. The biggest help to us would be having someone who could help with all the domestic stuff - laundry, food etc.

Having friends in a similar boat helps. I belong to my local multiples club and there are a few who have twin babies plus an older child and it's nice to have someone who can empathize. I have another friend with the same family composition and she said as her twins got older, they became best buds. Also once my DD outgrows the "terrible threes" I expect that will also help. So there is payoff down the road.

Hang in there!