PDA

View Full Version : did you buy guardrail + conversion kit right away?

lmh2402
10-31-2008, 09:03 AM
we're planning to buy a convertible crib + matching furniture. assuming that means we should just buy the guardrail and conversion kit now too... right?

we live in a 2 bdrm condo with not a ton of storage - but we can find someplace for it if we should get it right away.

it would be easier to wait until we need it...

but i fear that the line could be discontinued or something by the time we need it?...

what did you do?

thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Depends on the company, I'd say. We didn't get a convertible b/c we passed down our crib from kid to kid. BUT... the furniture business is having a bumpy road these days. Models do change, things go out of stock, companies fold. Esp with "baby furniture only" companies. We got our stuff from Stanley however, and they are a pretty solid business that I'm pretty sure will still be around when we need to put a bed with DS' furniture. HTH

irie i
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm going to buy it right away so I don't have to worry about not being able to find it in the future. I am specifically looking for a convertible crib for economic reasons so it wouldn't make sense for me to take that risk. :-)

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
We got ours as a set with the crib and that is what I would do again -- companies go out of business, lines are changed, etc.. If you don't have a lot of space, maybe you can store it under your bed? I think ours is under a bed somewhere, not exactly sure where it is LOL.

jhamman
10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, buy it now!

We bought a Pottery Barn Kids crib,
and held off on buying the conversion kit.

When we went back to buy the conversion kit,
that particular crib was still being sold by PBK,
but because they had switched manufacturers,
the new conversion kit didn't work for our slightly older crib.

So just to be safe, I would suggest buying it now!

Zoey187
10-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I bought ours now with the crib. As listed by others things can change including the color of the crib. If you were able to get one in the future, the color might not be the same.

I would just buy it when you get the crib!

the2bobs
10-31-2008, 10:29 PM
We bought the conversion kit when we bought the crib. We're in the same situation w/ no storage space so it's still in its box under our king-sized bed and doesn't take up much room at all.

thewebbie
10-31-2008, 11:54 PM
We didn't get one, because we might move the kid to a twin bed by then, and use the crib for our second one. Planning ahead :)
We are getting something like this, which we think we can use with either our crib or the twin bed.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11297969&search=safety%20secure%20top&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=safety%20secure%20top&Ntt=safety%20secure%20top&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1