PDA

View Full Version : Frugal Christmas Question

wellyes
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
So it looks like DH is likely to get laid off. We'll be OK, I think (hope) but I am definitely looking towards any ways to save that I can.

For holiday gifts to acquaintances such as coworkers, I may end up doing something that I've seen others do -- homemade fudge. I'm not much of a baker, but hopefully it's not that hard, and I think it will be fun to make. It's the kind of small gift I'd appreciate getting from someone else. Anyway, to my question... generally people give away treats like that in tins or decorated keepsake boxes. Where does one get those? Is there a way to save by buying a dozen together? I have seen tins for sale at department stores but for $7 each. Is there a less expensive option?

TIA!

Melaine
10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I have found cute holiday tins and jars at the dollar stores....I think the Dollar Tree specifically. I think I may do chex muddy buddys in regular old jars with pretty paper over the top and ribbon, but I guess that won't work too well for fudge!

ssjarrett
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
They sell metal tins at the Dollar Tree. :-) This is probably a good time to find the smaller ones you'd need for fudge.

wellyes
10-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Ah, cool, thanks! I love an excuse to go to the Dollar Store :)

billysmommy
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
I make homemade fudge and pour it into cookie cutters and then decorate with crushed candy canes, sprinkles, non-pareils, mini m&ms, etc. You can package them in little treat bags and tie with Christmas ribbon or twine.

Very cute and easy :)

Melaine
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
billysmommy that is such a cute idea!

hellokitty
10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think you will even need to invest in tins. I think that if you get some nice paper bags or tissue paper, you can just wrap the treats in a ziplock bag or saran wrap and then wrap it in nice tissue paper and tie with some raffia. A friend of mine made a small loaf of pumpkin bread for each of her girlfriends last yr, she just wrapped up the saran wrapped loaf in pretty tissue paper, tied it up with some raffia (which is cheap and lasts forever) and including a christmas card. It was really nice and I appreciated her effort and thought. I'm sorry about your DH's lay off. :hug:

kijip
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with the bag idea- much cheaper than tins and after Christmas the tin becomes clutter for many receivers. Or a pretty paper plate wrapped in cellophane?

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't think you will even need to invest in tins. I think that if you get some nice paper bags or tissue paper, you can just wrap the treats in a ziplock bag or saran wrap and then wrap it in nice tissue paper and tie with some raffia. A friend of mine made a small loaf of pumpkin bread for each of her girlfriends last yr, she just wrapped up the saran wrapped loaf in pretty tissue paper, tied it up with some raffia (which is cheap and lasts forever) and including a christmas card. It was really nice and I appreciated her effort and thought. I'm sorry about your DH's lay off. :hug:

Ditto. Sorry to hear about your DH, P&PT to you.

I would much prefer a treat wrapped in Saran wrap or cellophane and tied with raffia or a festive (plaid?) ribbon than yet.another.freakin.Christmas.tin. Seriously. I have an entire cupboard filled with them.

KrisM
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Also thrift stores often have tins.

We've used Chinese Food take out containers, bought for about $1 each, at Michael's for food gifts. They have ones that are printed in festive designs for the holidays, too.

jhrabosk
10-31-2008, 01:14 PM
When I used to make mini banana bread as a holiday gift for co-workers, I would order labels and bags from http://myownlabels.com/. I seem to remember that it was pretty cost-effective...and it looked very impressive!

Seriously though, one of my coworkers makes fudge at Christmas and comes around with a dish and a stack of napkins. No muss no fuss. :)

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
For the love of ....

OK people. SOMEONE PLEASE POST A FUDGE RECIPE. Before I eat my computer monitor....

TIA!

billysmommy
10-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Super quick and easy fudge recipe ~ seriously takes ~5 minutes!!!!
This is what I use when we are having serious fudge cravings :)

1 can condensed milk
1 bag choc chips (whichever flavor you like)
1 tsp vanilla

Cook in a saucepan on the stove, stirring constantly until melted.
Pour into a 8x8 pan lined with tin foil and refrigerate until ready (or just eat while it's warm and melty)

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Merci!

I'm also looking for a recipe that involves white chocolate, pistachios and dried cranberries. Someone at my office made some "bark" like this, but I don't know who made it and didn't feel like sending an email to 300 people begging for the recipe. So, if anyone feels like sharing my waistband would not love you LOL. :)

hellokitty
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM

1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into a 8x8 pan lined with tin foil and refrigerate until ready (or just eat while it's warm and melty)

OK, wow, where have I been? I had no idea that fudge was THAT easy to make (from the sound of it). Why have I been baking when I can just stir and pour????

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
OK, wow, where have I been? I had no idea that fudge was THAT easy to make (from the sound of it). Why have I been baking when I can just stir and pour????

ITA -- I'm getting some condensed milk later today! :)

billysmommy
10-31-2008, 02:35 PM

:) I love the real homemade fudge with the marshmallows and everything that takes forever to make. That's usually what I make for gifts. BUT there are some times when you need fudge NOW and there is no time for dealing with all that!!!!

My absolute favorite is using dark chocolate and adding peppermint extract instead of vanilla ~ YUMMY!!!!!!

DietCokeLover
10-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Paula Deen has a recipe called "Dummy Fudge". Here it is if you want to try another idea.

Ingredients:
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup pecans (any type of nut will work)

Directions:
Butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish

Melt chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and condensed milk in double boiler on medium heat. Once smooth remove from heat. Add vanilla and nuts. Scoop into baking dish and chill in refrigerator until set for approximately 10 minutes.

Prep Time 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Yield: 10-15 pieces

MontrealMum
10-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your DH, P&PT...

Here are some links to recipes that I found online and am considering doing this year, but I have not actually tried any of them out yet:
http://www.recipezaar.com/204988
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-recipes/mackinac-island-fudge.htm
http://www.giftsfromyourkitchen.com/fudgeL/mackinac-island-fudge.html

I think the key to Mackinac fudge is the marble slab, but I'm sure it would be OK without it too ;)

I have a friend that does clear Xmas-themed gift bags with ribbons for cookies and I much prefer that to the tins that are falling all over our pantry which I can't quite bring myself to get rid of.

hollybloom24
10-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree about not needing tins. I would be very happy with a paper plate or ziplock bag. I have a kitchen full of tins that I have no room for, never use, but of course they are too good to throw away!

sunriseiz
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
I generally use little gift bags that are something like 5 for $1 almost anywhere. I'll try to find my fudge recipe and post later (it's probably on the Baker's chocolate website).

Best wishes to you and DH.

sunriseiz
10-31-2008, 04:29 PM
I have a kitchen full of tins that I have no room for, never use, but of course they are too good to throw away!

Oh, and I just re-gift tins that I receive!

ThreeofUs
10-31-2008, 04:36 PM
For the love of ....

OK people. SOMEONE PLEASE POST A FUDGE RECIPE. Before I eat my computer monitor....

TIA!

:ROTFLMAO:my thoughts exactly :ROTFLMAO:

urquie
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
linda's EZ fudge

bring to a boil and let bubble for 5 minutes on medium heat (stir occasionally to keep from burning)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk

remove from heat and mix in
- 40 large marshmallows (about 10oz small marshmallows - these melt faster!)
- 12 oz chocolate chips

mix in
- 1 ts vanilla
- 1 cup pecans ( i like a lot more)

pour into a buttered 9 x 12 pan and let cool.

i like it best cold from the fridge :)

CAM7
10-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Rachel Ray's 5 minute fudge! This is SO EASY and YUM!

I sometimes leave out the extras like walnuts and cherries... just to make it easier.

Or I replace the currants with raisins and/or peanuts.

I make it in a small loaf pan lined with saran wrap...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/five-minute-fudge-wreath-recipe/index.html

MamaMolly
10-31-2008, 05:50 PM

1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Yup, that is the one I use and it is soooo easy and sooooo good. And you can put just about anything in it.

My only tip: remember that you MUST STIR CONSTANTLY. It doesn't take very long, but it is necessary. I gave this recipe to a friend who 'knew better' than I did and ruined the batch because she decided to walk away just 'for a minute or two'. This stuff is so yummy that if you ruin a batch you want to cry!

Stir, ladies!!

MamaMolly
10-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Merci!

I'm also looking for a recipe that involves white chocolate, pistachios and dried cranberries. Someone at my office made some "bark" like this, but I don't know who made it and didn't feel like sending an email to 300 people begging for the recipe. So, if anyone feels like sharing my waistband would not love you LOL. :)

I make 'bark' stuff every year. I've made it with white chocolate candy making bark that I get in the baking aisle of the grocery. I think Michael's carries it too, in lots of colors.

You line a cookie sheet with wax paper, spread out the buts (like the nuts and dried fruit) and then pour the melted bark over it. Once it sets, just break it apart.

So easy! I also make this with smashed candy canes. DD had a LOT of fun last year helping me crush the candy canes!

cdlamis
10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I make 'bark' stuff every year. I've made it with white chocolate candy making bark that I get in the baking aisle of the grocery. I think Michael's carries it too, in lots of colors.

You line a cookie sheet with wax paper, spread out the buts (like the nuts and dried fruit) and then pour the melted bark over it. Once it sets, just break it apart.

So easy! I also make this with smashed candy canes. DD had a LOT of fun last year helping me crush the candy canes!

I also make peppermint bark every year. Its super easy and different than all the chocolate that we get.

sunriseiz
10-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Here's the one I use:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolaterecipes/r/bl30427o.htm

Easy chocolate fudge made in the microwave oven.
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Ingredients:

* 3 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 cup cocoa
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Preparation:
Combine and cook confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk, and butter on high power until butter is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir until smooth. Blend in vanilla and pecans. Spread into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Cut microwave fudge in squares.

urquie
10-31-2008, 07:44 PM
my first taste of lime fudge was a sample at a fudge shop... i was very skeptical, but now i'm hooked :) unfortunately, i'd have a long drive and a ferry ride to get more (and it's seasonal!). i found this fabulous recipe online to get my fix.

it's great with macadamia nuts (pistachios are okay too) and a few drops of green food coloring swirled in. regular limes work just find and provide a lot more zest. i add extra zest to make up for the different kind of lime, but it's not necessary. i think it tastes best cool from the fridge.

bubbaray - you could use this recipe minus the lime and zest - just add pistachios and dried cranberries.

Key Lime Fudge
Recipe #193285 | 1 hour | 30 min prep |
Got this recipe from Southern Living a few years back and I get more requests for it for Christmas gifts than anything....
makes 1 Pound </SPAN>(change servings and units) (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/)

Ingredients

1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=500)
1 2/3 cups sugar (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=139)
1/2 teaspoon salt (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=359)
12 large marshmallows (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=358)
2 cups white chocolate chips (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=225)
1/4 cup lime rind (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=260), grated (about 4 limes)
2 tablespoons key lime juice (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=260)Directions

Line an 8 x 8 ;an with foil and grease the foil with butter.
Combine the milk, sugar and salt in a large, heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; stirring constantly.
Once mixture begins to boil, cook it for 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in the marshmallows, chocolate, lime rind and lime and mix well until mixture is melted and smooth.
Pour into prepared pan and cool completely.
Cut into 1 inch squares to serve

niccig
10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Be careful with the tins. I went to buy some and here in CA they had a label warning about lead content. SIL wanted me to buy a few and send to her to use for the annual candy - everyone had to send a few tins to receive any candy, as it was too expensive for her to buy tins. You could line the tins with something so not up against the metal. These tins were Christmas tins that you can get at Micheal's. I told SIL about lead warning, and at her Michaels in MI there was no warning. It's one of the CA laws to have a disclaimer.

I recommend Rachel Ray's fudge - I made it one year for all the neighbours. I might do that again this year.

mariza
10-31-2008, 08:00 PM
oriental trading company has lots of options. When I got married on New Years Eve I ordered over 100 Chinese take out boxes from them for very cheap. It was 5 years ago so I don't recall exactly how much, but I was super frugal with my wedding favor budget. They were blue with white snowflakes and very cute, I know they have other patterns too.
Heres a link: http://tinyurl.com/635ane
HTH!

niccig
10-31-2008, 08:10 PM
oriental trading company has lots of options. When I got married on New Years Eve I ordered over 100 Chinese take out boxes from them for very cheap. It was 5 years ago so I don't recall exactly how much, but I was super frugal with my wedding favor budget. They were blue with white snowflakes and very cute, I know they have other patterns too.
Heres a link: http://tinyurl.com/635ane
HTH!

Oh, these look good. They have an assortment of patterns, 36 boxes for $4?? Is that right. That's really cheap. They do have smaller lots too.

Hmmm, I really need to think about what we're going to make this year.

Twoboos
10-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Did someone mention bark in this thread??? I want some now, who cares about leftover halloween candy! (who would have thought saltines could be so very good?)

Christmas Bark
Makes approx 40 pieces

1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12oz semi-sweet choc morsals
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in one layer on parchment-lined baking sheet (with sides)
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the crackers, spread evenly
5. Bake for 15 mins
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc morsals. When they start to melt, spread evenly over entire layer of crackers
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top
8. Refrigerate 1 hr
9. Remove from frige and crack into pieces

SpaceGal
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Target had really cute holiday take out containers in the dollar spot...you could use those and fill them with homemade goodies. :)

kransden
11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
ITA with the others, skip the tins! I have my dd help decorate bags with stickers and/or drawings too. She also loves to help make holiday cards for the bags.

kijip
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
It's what my Grandmother makes:

4-1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter
pinch of salt
1 tall can evaporated milk
12 ounces semisweet chocolate bits
12 ounces German sweet chocolate
1 pint marshmallow cream
2 cups chopped nuts

Heat the sugar, butter, salt, and evaporated milk over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil for 6 minutes. Put chocolate bits, German chocolate, marshmallow cream, and nutmeats in a bowl. Pour the boiling syrup over the ingredients. Beat until the chocolate is all melted, then pour in a pan. Let stand for a few hours before cutting. Remember it is better the second day.

mariza
11-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Yep, they do get you on the shipping if you don't buy alot. Just to see, I put 2 dozen snowflakes of the chinese take out boxes in my cart ($2.99 per dozen) and shipping was more than the boxes. $12.xx total cost. But I signed up for their email alerts and got an email with 15% off an order of $50 or more. Also, on their main page they are offering free shipping for orders over $49. If you need a lot then it is totally worth it, you can even order gift wrap and other items that you might need at home just to get the value of your cart up. Also, Ebates is offerin 3% back. HTH!

fauve01
11-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I always cover a paper plate with foil (it's non stick and festively metallic!), cover the plate with fudge, then slide the whole plate in a gallon zip lock. DD likes to decorate the bags with stickers. then we put bows on top. if we put TONS of fudge on the plate and it does not fit in the bag, we just put a piece of foil over the top (with stickers and bow of course). this works well for us! no one has ever been offended with the lack of creative tin, they're just happy about amazing fudge!

Every year I make the Marshmallow Fluff Fudge (recipe on the jar). it is super simple and people RAVE about it.

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/never_fail_fudge.html

HTH~
anne

DrSally
11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the layoff. I think fudge is a great idea, and I'd be happy to get that as a gift. I gave my coworkers homemede biscotti in different flavors in little tins from Walmart. They were very cheap if I remember. You could also wrap in cellophane and then a thicker layer of red tissue paper with a ribbon and a little paper tag.

DrSally
11-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I make homemade fudge and pour it into cookie cutters and then decorate with crushed candy canes, sprinkles, non-pareils, mini m&ms, etc. You can package them in little treat bags and tie with Christmas ribbon or twine.

Very cute and easy :)

That's a great idea!

DrSally
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM

1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

That sounds so easy! I would love to do this with the cookie cutter molds and plastic bags with ribbon ties. #1 I would need to find chips that are safe for nut allergies #2 would be cool to find silicone molds with little Xmas shapes. #3 remeber the thread on things your kids can make for Xmas presents, this would be perfect for them to "help" with (carefully of course).

KBecks
11-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't give away acquaintence gifts. Call me Scrooge, but I don't think they are necessary, especially if you are dealing with a job loss in your family.