PDA

View Full Version : Feel so guilty

TraciG
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
I will not be able to make it to my DD's kindergarten class today for their Halloween celebration. Wont work out with DS's napping, figure's he is taking a late morning nap & still asleep. I will probably have to wake him to get her after school, that happen's a lot.

I tried to tell her it may be better because of going trick or treating, he will be less cranky ( doubtful )

I wrote a note to the teacher telling them that I don't know if I can make it & that she might be upset.

I FEEL TERRIBLE BUT I told her not every mommy & daddy can come because they have to work, like she understands or care's , she want's ME there

SO GUILTY

After trick or treating we're going to dinner with her/ my friends to a local pizza restaurant so I really need my 8 month to sleep as much as possible today.

Melaine
10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Aww....you know, this is how I've decided to look at such things. My kids are blessed to be siblings (twins) and will grow up having a constant companion/friend/playmate. No offense to anyone who is/has an only child, but I always felt so sorry for them. However, my girls have grown up so far making many sacrifices. They cannot ever have mommy to themselves, and the attention is usually split. But the joy of being siblings will outweigh the inconviences in the long run. (I am the oldest of 4 and ADORE my siblings even though there were times growing up when I wish I could've had more time etc. with my parents).
This is probably so not helpful to you, but I've thought I lot about it when I get upset that I can't give both my girls 100% attention all of the time as I want to, you know?

mamicka
10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Aww....you know, this is how I've decided to look at such things. My kids are blessed to be siblings (twins) and will grow up having a constant companion/friend/playmate. No offense to anyone who is/has an only child, but I always felt so sorry for them. However, my girls have grown up so far making many sacrifices. They cannot ever have mommy to themselves, and the attention is usually split. But the joy of being siblings will outweigh the inconviences in the long run. (I am the oldest of 4 and ADORE my siblings even though there were times growing up when I wish I could've had more time etc. with my parents).
This is probably so not helpful to you, but I've thought I lot about it when I get upset that I can't give both my girls 100% attention all of the time as I want to, you know?

I agree with this. I'd also add that when this kind of thing happens, I spin it as positively as I can, while still acknowledging the disappointment. You know, "I'm really disappointed that I can't make it to the party today. I know you are, too. But you know, won't it be great to be together for T-O-T & then pizza with our friends? That will be so much fun & I'm really looking forward to it." etc. I think that your attitude in these situations is so important.

Hope your day turns out great!

amldaley
10-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Of course you feel guilty, you're a mom!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't a biggie though and she will forget about it by tonight. Be there for the biggies. Heck, I remember when parents weren't involved in school days at all! Involvement is great, but a heap of guilt our parents didn't have to worry about!

You know you are doing the right thing and she will benefit from your tough decision. But I know it hurts now. Can another parent there take pics for you and give your dd some attention? When he gets home,she can tell you all about it. Make a big deal of having her give you all the details.

TraciG
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
THANKS everyone

I just HOPE she isn't mad at me when I pick her up !

TraciG
10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
my parent's think I should go, BUT my DD is their favorite

Tondi G
10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
my parent's think I should go, BUT my DD is their favorite

Any chance your parents could surprise her and show up? Or maybe come sit while DS is sleeping so you could sneak down there for a bit!?

TraciG
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
they live an hour away. My mother say's to ask my MIL but then she'll be here all day, not worth it for me.

Wish my parent's didn't HAVE TO make me feel MORE guilty !

DietCokeLover
10-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe you could have a special treat for DD when you pick her up from school to show her how much you wish you could have been there. A helium balloon, or a special halloween cookie, or just something small. That way she will know you were thinking about her.

Tondi G
10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
they live an hour away. My mother say's to ask my MIL but then she'll be here all day, not worth it for me.

Wish my parent's didn't HAVE TO make me feel MORE guilty !

Ahhh bummer! Too bad they don't live closer! I hope your DD wasn't mad at you when you picked her up! Maybe you can do something special for her to make it up to her! Sometimes thats just the way it goes! There were a LOT of kids at My DS's elementary school today who didn't have parents there to see the Halloween Parade! I'm sure she'll forget about it soon enough if she does feel a little disappointed! HUGS... it's hard being the mommy sometimes... but you gotta do what you gotta do!

~Tondi