PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin rally...Update- I went!

LarsMal
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
My update is at the end of the thread- #77 or something, but it says #1 when I click on it- it's at the end though!

The high school is right up the street and I could easily walk up there to check things out. I am so curious, but I don't want to go and be counted as a "supporter"!

Maybe I'll just go and wear a sign that says, "I'm not hear to cause trouble but I am NOT here to support the McCain/Palin ticket!" Just kidding- I would never do that.

Would you go, though, just out of curiosity, and blend in with the crowd? I am a hard-core Obama supporter and have been to an Obama event. I just want to see what it's really like at a Palin rally- aside from what the media reports. I'm just afraid I'd get so peeved I'd walk out with steam coming out of my ears!!

irie i
10-31-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd probably be one of those with steam coming out of my ears, too...or just perpetually rolling my eyes and laughing at that woman. I couldn't do it. The temptation wouldn't even be there for me. Plus, you can hear anything she has to say by listening to Fox News or watching morning television...IMO the woman doesn't have an original thought in her head.

mommylamb
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I think it would cause problems for by blood pressure, so I'd probably not go, but I can totally understand the curiosity.

pinkmomagain
10-31-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't think I would be able to do it....steam would be coming out of more than my ears, kwim?

I made my dh turn off the tv this morning, because I couldn't stand another minute of her.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd consider protesting just by holding up an Obama sign. Outside one of the rallies recently some McCain supporters surrounded some Obama supporters and it got rather ugly (No, I'm not blaming McCain supporters and saying Obama supporters are perfect before I get flamed LOL. It was filmed and played in the media and it happened to be McCain supporters targeting Obama supporters *in this case*. Phew. Disclaimers ;) ) So...it could potentially get ugly if you go representing the other side. Unlikely, but possible.

I'd spend the time knocking on doors or making phone calls on Obama's behalf. It is less likely to raise your blood pressure and more likely to make you feel good :)

srhs
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Have you ever attended a sporting event out-of-town where you were cheering for the visiting team? If so, you'll know if you'd "enjoy" it or not. IME in that case, it's not that fun for anyone...the visitor or the fans around her. (I've been both.)

I really doubt they'd let you bring a sign in, though...although I think your tshirt slogan is tactful enough. (brittone, I know you meant physically outside the event.) Actually, I'm really surprised you can still get tickets.

You probably didn't want the opinion of a conservative (but I'm using BBB to procrastinate on major home tasks so) so here goes:
I'm trying to think if I'd go to an Obama rally (live near a swing state). I'm thinking I would not for two reasons:
1. I would have my own steam issues.
2. I would be taking a spot away from someone who would genuinely love hearing him.
BUT I would eagerly go listen to him in a non-election speech on another occasion, for the historical merit.

All that said, if you go and they hand out paraphernalia, will you mail it to me? ;) It'd be after the election, so I wouldn't be campaigning with it or anything.

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I would go see a candidate speak if it were up the road from me. Why not? I know someone who went to a Palin rally and said there was such an energy there even in the pouring rain. Tons of moms and kids there, too.

Piglet
10-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't go to hear a person that you don't agree with. Aren't we all richer for meeting people from all walks of life? Don't we study comparative religion, or read parenting books that don't 100% jive with our style? It makes us more rounded people, if we approach it from an educational perspective. Your mind is made up. She is not going to change your mind. Go there with the plan to listen and not be swayed. It is an opportunity to learn what other people think. I don't see why this is a difficult decision.

hellokitty
10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I would go to protest, as an obama supporter. I think that if I heard palin speak IRL, I'd start projectile vomiting.

I wanted to add, I would protest OUTSIDE of the rally, I would not attend the actual rally.

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
See, I just don't "get" going to a political rally of the opposing candidate if you are already decided in your vote. Maybe its because I have zero time, but honestly, why go and upset yourself and others?

I think if you are undecided, yeah, go and learn something. I just don't think in the context of US partisan politics that the majority of decided voters will be able to listen to the opposing candidate with an open mind.

JMHO.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I really doubt they'd let you bring a sign in, though...although I think your tshirt slogan is tactful enough. (brittone, I know you meant physically outside the event.) Actually, I'm really surprised you can still get tickets.

Yes, I meant outside as you said :)

I don't think they'd necessarily let someone in w/ an Obama tee shirt on to be honest. I saw a story recently where several college-aged men were removed from a McCain/Palin rally because it was thought that maybe they were Obama supporters (they didn't have on Obama teeshirts...IIRC they actually were McCain supporters, but something made the staff think otherwise). I also read a story on a local parenting board from someone who was at Obama's recent rally in NC. Someone in the audience had an offensive sign (Obama w/ a turban IIRC) and they were jeering in the crowd. I guess the crowd around him wasn't happy and it got kind of ugly...police/security were called in.

I'd save my energy and work on getting out the vote for Obama. Positive energy!

g-mama
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, I'd go. But then, I'm a supporter. :)

It's funny that before I decided to post that, I felt like the mere act of doing so would be like "stirring things up" in this environment. Is there a more moderate parenting board anyone knows of?

mommylamb
10-31-2008, 01:39 PM

It's funny that before I decided to post that, I felt like the mere act of doing so would be like "stirring things up" in this environment. Is there a more moderate parenting board anyone knows of?

Personally, I really like the debate. I don't think you should feel afraid of stirring things up. And, I'm not a Palin supporter in the slightest.

BaileyBea
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
I personally wouldn't go. I am voting for the other team but there are a lot of really extreme people at these rallies. There area always going to be a handful of them spewing hate and I would mostly choose not to go so I wouldn't get in a fight with people who's worlds and views are so small. IMHO.

Saying this as a Republican who doesn't even recognize her party anymore. I am so proud I voted for Obama already. Early voting ROCKS!

Nancy

deannanb
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
go leave obama flyers on all of the cars in the parking lot! =)

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
I personally wouldn't go. I am voting for the other team but there are a lot of really extreme people at these rallies. There area always going to be a handful of them spewing hate and I would mostly choose not to go so I wouldn't get in a fight with people who's worlds and views are so small. IMHO.

Saying this as a Republican who doesn't even recognize her party anymore. I am so proud I voted for Obama already. Early voting ROCKS!

Nancy
Former Repub here as well...and I also voted early for Obama (and heck, I'm an Obama volunteer). I'm so. done. with the Republican party. Ditto my 60+ year old parents, who also voted for Obama.

Fairy
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
There's a difference between fostering genuine and well-intentioned discussion on a topic that may be "controversial," and truly "stirring the pot," which generally is intended to be divisive and incite people. The former is well-intentioned, the latter is mean-spirited. From what I've seen recently and in this thread, so far it's been pretty respectful of people's opinions on both sides of the spectrum.

I would not go to a rally for the opposing side. If I were undecided I'd go. If I were for the other side but genuinely liked the other side, I might go. But in this situation, I'd not go and focus my efforts elsewhere.

But if you go, report back!

Rainbows&Roses
10-31-2008, 01:56 PM

If you are a hardcore Palin supporter, it is not a moderate board for which you should be looking.

To the OP, I couldn't go. I would get a headache from all the eye rolling.

irie i
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
For hardcore McCain/Palin support, try thebump.com. Thats why I am here. :) Be warned, though...you will also have to sift through a bunch of posts about how the women's farts smell, stand by while they bully people or say something and get reamed, accuse women of being child molesters because they think its funny, etc.

g-mama
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
For hardcore McCain/Palin support, try thebump.com. Thats why I am here. :) Be warned, though...you will also have to sift through a bunch of posts about how the women's farts smell, stand by while they bully people or say something and get reamed, accuse women of being child molesters because they think its funny, etc.

No thanks, that doesn't sound like the place for me. I'm a conservative, not a freak.

o_mom
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I probably wouldn't go to a Palin speech. I'm not opposed to checking out the opposite party, but it would have to be someone that I would feel like I could get something out of for me to go. If it were McCain - I would go. He is someone that while I don't agree with him in this election, I have respect for his acomplishments and feel like he is an important leader. Palin, not so much.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 02:13 PM
I probably wouldn't go to a Palin speech. I'm not opposed to checking out the opposite party, but it would have to be someone that I would feel like I could get something out of for me to go. If it were McCain - I would go. He is someone that while I don't agree with him in this election, I have respect for his acomplishments and feel like he is an important leader. Palin, not so much.

If I could see the McCain of 2000 in a rally, I'd consider going, even if I wouldn't agree with him on everything.

McCain of 2008...I have no interest.

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd go. Mainly because it'd be interesting to find out if what I hear on TV and Radio is really what is coming out of her mouth, rather than just sound bites taken out of context. Course if it was for real, I'd be the one person standing with my mouth hanging open in fascinated horror:p

citymama
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Your town has my sympathies.

g-mama
10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Your town has my sympathies.

See, I just don't see conservatives saying things like this here about Obama. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And this is a perfect example of why I and other conservatives feel it's a hostile and one-sided political environment. This was discussed a while ago and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but now I can and this is it.

LarsMal
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses- from both sides!!

I should clarify- I was really kidding when I said I would wear a sign! I hate when I see/hear of people (from either side) going into a rally and causing trouble. If I go, I will not have anything on that would indicate I'm an Obama supporter- although I probably couldn't hide my facial expressions very well! I'm hard-core, but I'm not disrespectful (well, I wouldn't be in public, privacy of my home, not so respectful!!!) I wouldn't accept any of the signs or stuff like that (except to mail to whoever it was that asked for them!)

If there are (peaceful) protestors, I might hang outside with them for a while.

I understand those who said why go if I already have my mind made up, but like Melinda said, I am very interested just to see if Palin's whole schpeal is as negative as all the clips they play on TV. I hear how she's rallied the base and creates so much energy. I've felt the energy at an Obama event first-hand, so I'm just curious to see what it's like for people who really support and like her.

Good point about the tickets...they mentioned it on the radio today, but I don't know if they're still available. My neighbor could get me in though, no problem- major connections to the GOP. Considering of the 6000 people who attended a rally in Ohio yesterday, 4000 were students bused in from the school district, I'm thinking they might have some available!

Oh...and I did once sit in the middle of a UVA student section wearing *my* team shirt and cheering on my basketball team. It was fun! (Hey, I never said I wasn't a crazy b&tch!!!) ;)

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Funny you say that Kristen, I was just thinking a couple of hours ago how much negativity was being posted. Talk of "that woman", eyerolling, projectile vomiting, protesting, sympathies for an entire town just because one person is speaking there. Sooo angry. :shrug:

ha98ed14
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
See, I just don't see conservatives saying things like this here about Obama. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And this is a perfect example of why I and other conservatives feel it's a hostile and one-sided political environment. This was discussed a while ago and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but now I can and this is it.

I hear what you are saying. And I am a die hard Obama supporter. But I confess to being very arrogant in my disdain for the other side in this race. I agree, it is not nice.

For me, it is not about McCain. It's about Palin. I just think she is an absolute joke. The idea that choosing Palin as running mate would attract women voters who would have voted for Hillary was just so off. Palin and Hillary are antithetical to one another. I have a deep and abiding respect for John McCain and what he has done in the first 70 years of his life. The last year or so, not so much.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Funny you say that Kristen, I was just thinking a couple of hours ago how much negativity was being posted. Talk of "that woman", eyerolling, projectile vomiting, protesting, sympathies for an entire town just because one person is speaking there. Sooo angry. :shrug:

I posted about protesting...I don't see it as negative or disrespectful. Freedom of speech and all of that, you know? ;) I have never attended a protest actually, but certainly think one can peacefully and respectfully protest.

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I posted about protesting...I don't see it as negative or disrespectful. Freedom of speech and all of that, you know? ;) I have never attended a protest actually, but certainly think one can peacefully and respectfully protest.

You're not the only one I was referring to by "protesting." If someone doesn't like a candidate why go and protest? Why not just focus on his/her own candidate (and I know that's what you're doing personally)

LarsMal
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
For me, it is not about McCain. It's about Palin. I just think she is an absolute joke. The idea that choosing Palin as running mate would attract women voters who would have voted for Hillary was just so off. Palin and Hillary are antithetical to one another. I have a deep and abiding respect for John McCain and what he has done in the first 70 years of his life. The last year or so, not so much.

This is me, too. I have (well HAD) always said McCain is a Repulican I would consider voting for. At one point in the primaries DH and I discussed whether or not we would vote for McCain if Hillary got the nomination (not a big Hillary fan). Then he chose Palin and I went "huh"...Then I really started to lose respect for McCain (in terms of his campaign and such). I still respect his service to our country, but I really really really couldn't vote for him b/c of his Palin pick. There is just something about her that rubs me the wrong way.

There are plenty of people who feel that way about Obama, too, so I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
You're not the only one I was referring to by "protesting." If someone doesn't like a candidate why go and protest? Why not just focus on your own candidate (and I know that's what you're doing personally)
Well, I'm not speaking about myself personally, but there are a number of reasons. To "balance" coverage of a particular event (for example the protestors may be on camera, getting media attention, etc.). To raise awareness of certain disagreements with the candidates (not all Americans know all candidate positions). I could see why someone would protest with a sign saying "Palin is against abortion rights even in cases of rape or incest." Or "All Parts of the Country are Pro America". Even if they don't sway the crowd gathered, protestors can raise awareness about positions with which they disagree. I understand people peacefully protesting against some of Obama's views as well. Even if you don't sway anyone in the crowd to think about those views, it can raise awareness of candidate positions in general.

I think that's as American as apple pie :)

eta: one poll I saw this morning said 1 in 7 voters is still persuadable. I'm not sure I believe it is that large of a percentage, but I'm tossing that out there. Many of us are firmly convicted in our choice for President, but there are some truly undecideds or soft supporters out there.

citymama
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM

I couldn't agree more. Like many conservative thinkers out there (David Brooks for eg), I think Sen. McCain has put his campaign first and country second by making a rash, hasty decision on his VP candidate. I sure hope we don't have to pay the price for it for the next 4 or 8 years.

And I realize Ceepa, that I am the one you are referring to. I spoke my mind frankly (and very succinctly!), and like you, I have the right to do so. I hear you that you're angry - I have been so for the last 8 years, so I know the feeling.

g-mama
10-31-2008, 03:16 PM

Beth - it's not your comments we're talking about. You are always respectful and polite. It's like Ceepa said - the talk of nausea, vomiting, etc. is what's just too much.

g-mama
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I spoke my mind frankly (and very succinctly!), and like you, I have the right to do so.

Yes, "frank" describes it. But nobody is complaining about anyone being open and honest, and I'm sure you realize that. It's more than that.

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I hear you that you're angry - I have been so for the last 8 years, so I know the feeling.

Oh, goodness. I wasn't saying *I'm* angry. I meant all the negative posts. I can't figure out why you all are so angry? Hence the shrug smilie.

irie i
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Beth - it's not your comments we're talking about. You are always respectful and polite. It's like Ceepa said - the talk of nausea, vomiting, etc. is what's just too much.

For some people who are staunchly against the McCain/Palin viewpoint...I will speak only for myself...I am biting my tongue and holding back. *shrug*

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. Like many conservative thinkers out there (David Brooks for eg), I think Sen. McCain has put his campaign first and country second by making a rash, hasty decision on his VP candidate. I sure hope we don't have to pay the price for it for the next 4 or 8 years.

And I realize Ceepa, that I am the one you are referring to. I spoke my mind frankly (and very succinctly!), and like you, I have the right to do so. I hear you that you're angry - I have been so for the last 8 years, so I know the feeling.

Former Sec. of State Eagleburger came out today and said "Of Course" Palin is not ready if needed to step in as President. And he's a McCain supporter.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1129109&srvc=2008campnews&position=2

I just wish McCain had made a different choice. I would still not have voted McCain, but this decision did not reflect well upon his decision-making abilities.

irie i
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh, goodness. I wasn't saying *I'm* angry. I meant all the negative posts. I can't figure out why you all are so angry? Hence the shrug smilie.

You are labeling people as angry...people might be angry, frustrated, concerned, etc. at having this party in power for so many reasons many of which have been discussed here. Since people are getting their feelings hurt I am stepping out of this thread. I think its a shame that women can't discuss their viewpoints amongst other women without being labeled "angry."

o_mom
10-31-2008, 03:25 PM

I agree with this. I said back in the primary that if Hilary Clinton was the Dem nominee I would have a hard time choosing Clinton vs. McCain. Now, with Palin on the ticket - no way would I even consider it. She is so condescending on so many topics that I can hardly stand to listen to her.

citymama
Yes, "frank" describes it. But nobody is complaining about anyone being open and honest, and I'm sure you realize that. It's more than that.

My opinion then? I won't deny it any more: I am not a fan of Ms. Palin's.

And so we disagree. And move on.

Ceepa
Beth, I support a person's right to protest, I just believe there are better avenues to deliver a message.

g-mama
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Why is it that when the women who don't support Obama (what are there here, 1 out of 50?) do speak up, we're so quickly shut down? It is so completely obvious, it's becoming comical.

cvanbrunt
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
If I had the time, I'd totally go. I'm a raging independent supporting Obama. I voted for McCain in the Republican primary in 2000 and made my very first campaign contribution to him. I've been disappointed in how he's moved away from his "old self". Until he selected Palin as a running mate, I would have been okay (not overjoyed) with a McCain administration. That said, we hear so much about Palin's instincts and broad appeal as the "everywoman" I would really like to see why she draws a bigger crowd than McCain. As Peggy Noonan said "she just says stuff". I just don't get the appeal.

citymama
10-31-2008, 03:27 PM

"Sooo angry" isn't you?

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Why is it that when the women who don't support Obama (what are there here, 1 out of 50?) do speak up, we're so quickly shut down? It is so completely obvious, it's becoming comical.

I'm asking this genuinely...what is making you feel like you are being shut down? What I mean is that I can see feeling outnumbered, but I'm wondering what makes you feel "shut down" specifically? I'm asking in a totally respectful tone here. Maybe it can all help us communicate with one another better :hug:

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 03:32 PM
"Sooo angry" isn't you?

No. I'm fairly calm. (even with early Halloween candy now pumping through my blood)

LarsMal
10-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh jeez...I didn't mean for this to turn into one of "those" political threads! The last few have been so tame.

Didn't mean to stir things up again! :duh:

g-mama
10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
It's because when I try to make a point about the tone and the language of the posts being so emotionally charged, the people who have posted in that way start saying "What, am I not allowed to speak my mind?" and ignore the substance of my question no matter how many times now I have asked it.

Of course, I am not saying that people can't support whomever they want, nor am I saying that they shouldn't say so. It's the "vomiting, gagging, sympathies" talk I am speaking of and nobody will acknowledge that point or concede that we conservatives don't talk that way about their candidate, or if we're going to split hairs, their VICE-presidential candidate.

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh jeez...I didn't mean for this to turn into one of "those" political threads! The last few have been so tame.

Didn't mean to stir things up again! :duh:

I think this is really hard to avoid, esp. this election. On some other forums, political threads get locked again and again, because people can't resist moving from attacking the issues to attacking the posters. It's a very charged time.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
It's because when I try to make a point about the tone and the language of the posts being so emotionally charged, the people who have posted in that way start saying "What, am I not allowed to speak my mind?" and ignore the substance of my question no matter how many times now I have asked it.

Of course, I am not saying that people can't support whomever they want, nor am I saying that they shouldn't say so. It's the "vomiting, gagging, sympathies" talk I am speaking of and nobody will acknowledge that point or concede that we conservatives don't talk that way about their candidate, or if we're going to split hairs, their VICE-presidential candidate.
Thanks for clarifying.

Some of it I think comes from frustration over what we hear on the campaign trail from McCain/Palin. They essentially call Obama a socialist on the campaign trail, yet Palin taxes oil companies in Alaska and then redistributes that money back to the citizens who "own the resources of Alaska." When put on the spot, they won't actually call Obama a socialist on camera though.

I truly thought McCain was interesting in 2000. I also truly believe that there has been an undertone of race, etc. interjected into this race. You may disagree, but I have trouble hearing about the Robocalls and actually receiving the mailings here in NC that really stretch the connections with Ayers and use out of context quotes, etc. to scare up fear and division. Some McCain/Palin supporters may disagree, but I can tell you that here in the south, the mailings, etc. I've received definitely have race/religion/terrorism undertones, and that is upsetting to me.

I think the strong reactions that you see here are part of the feelings stirred up by what those of us who view McCain's campaign tactics as beneath his personal dignity. Some of the strong backlash here IMO is a result of having those feelings stirred up.

I'm not saying the conservative/GOP side should not feel strongly (or be vocal) about issues as well, but I'm explaining why *I* think some Dems/Independents are so angry. I'm not trying to speak *for* them, but this is my personal take on why people feel so very emotionally charged.

I live in a state where Liddy Dole put out a commercial with a voiceover saying "there is no God" with a pic of her opponent up, making it seem like her opponent, Kay Hagan, actually said that. I mean, this election is just so, so emotionally charged for so many.

eta: I will say that there have been outside groups attacking McCain and questioning his health, etc. as well, and that's not the best idea either (not the way they did it). But for a while on the campaign trail it was just so, so negative. It jumped from one negative thing about Obama to the next IMO (Ayers, socialism, etc.) The problem is that McCain and Palin have their own connections that can be questioned, and to my ears, seemed to be employing a lot more negativity and using some interesting language that I personally feel was meant to stir up fear of their opponent.

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm asking this genuinely...what is making you feel like you are being shut down? What I mean is that I can see feeling outnumbered, but I'm wondering what makes you feel "shut down" specifically? I'm asking in a totally respectful tone here. Maybe it can all help us communicate with one another better :hug:

I think I understand a little of what Kristen is saying. When posters criticize Obama, I do noticed that the rebuttals are swift, and loaded with factoids. That tends to shut people down. Heck, on other forums, where the posters are loud and hard core for "Red," I'm afraid to say anything, because I really can't come up with anything to rebut their rebuttals, kwim? I know what I know, but really how many times can you (for example) tell someone that no, Obama isn't a terrorist, isn't a Muslim, and doesn't want to take away guns from law abiding citizens? They are convinced of what they think, and have gotten info backing up those convictions from somewhere. I'm not so well-informed that I know whether their sources are worthy or not. If I say anything I'll merely get stomped on as a socialist who loves big govt.

I *think* that Kristen and some other conservatives may be feeling a little of that here. When you're vastly outnumbered, it's hard to have a reasonable, thoughtful conversation with people of opposing views. Esp. online. Gestures, smilies, expressions are even more powerful when you can't see the person who's making them. I even venture to say that it's this anonymity that emboldens some people to come across more harshly than they might IRL.

srhs
10-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I mean, this election is just so, so emotionally charged for so many.

I agree. And yet you see most of us who staunchly disagree with Obama/Biden and who are equally and passionately concerned about their policies/tactics managing to hold back.

mamicka
10-31-2008, 03:54 PM
You are labeling people as angry...people might be angry, frustrated, concerned, etc. at having this party in power for so many reasons many of which have been discussed here. Since people are getting their feelings hurt I am stepping out of this thread. I think its a shame that women can't discuss their viewpoints amongst other women without being labeled "angry."

I understand what you are saying but this isn't limited to just this thread. I don't know when you started reading posts here, but there have been a good chunk of threads that were very explicitly "angry" that ended up being removed. That's coming across in this thread as well although obviously less so. So your last sentence is made, I think, without knowing the whole story.

citymama
10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
No. I'm fairly calm. (even with early Halloween candy now pumping through my blood)
I stole many Milky Ways out of my DD's daycare trick or treat stash (what are they thinking giving chocolate to 2 yr olds?) and am having a bit of sugar remorse. ;) (But still feel the same way about Palin!)

Anyway, I'm now going back to what I should be doing, and will keep my head down the rest of the elections.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I think I understand a little of what Kristen is saying. When posters criticize Obama, I do noticed that the rebuttals are swift, and loaded with factoids. That tends to shut people down. Heck, on other forums, where the posters are loud and hard core for "Red," I'm afraid to say anything, because I really can't come up with anything to rebut their rebuttals, kwim? I know what I know, but really how many times can you (for example) tell someone that no, Obama isn't a terrorist, isn't a Muslim, and doesn't want to take away guns from law abiding citizens? They are convinced of what they think, and have gotten info backing up those convictions from somewhere. I'm not so well-informed that I know whether their sources are worthy or not. If I say anything I'll merely get stomped on as a socialist who loves big govt.

I *think* that Kristen and some other conservatives may be feeling a little of that here. When you're vastly outnumbered, it's hard to have a reasonable, thoughtful conversation with people of opposing views. Esp. online. Gestures, smilies, expressions are even more powerful when you can't see the person who's making them. I even venture to say that it's this anonymity that emboldens some people to come across more harshly than they might IRL.

Good points. I guess I personally see posting factoids and polite rubuttals as still being respectful, and not necessarily personal. When someone is outnumbered, that can probably be frustrating and overwhelming though.

I am truly trying to understand how those of us w/ strong viewpoints can still get our point across without *personally* offending the other side. I know I've unintentionally offended more than once here, even though I try to be respectful.

Anyway, I hope both sides can continue to dialogue and debate without it being personal.

:grouphug:

brittone2
10-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree. And yet you see most of us who staunchly disagree with Obama/Biden and who are equally and passionately concerned about their policies/tactics managing to hold back.

I don't think you should have to hold back if you are talking about issues and policies.

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't think you should have to hold back if you are talking about issues and policies.

Yes, I agree. In fact I wish that those who are supporting the Republican ticket would be more substantively vocal about your candidates, or why you object to the Democratic candidates.

mamicka
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Beth, the thing is, I know *many* conservatives who actually have similar thoughts about both dem candidates, but its not something that we say & then call it "having a discussion" or "just expressing my opinion". The few times that we do expess something that is akin to the rep candidate bashing that we're talking about, it results in strong sarcasm alleging personal attacks, personal insults against us or our beliefs, etc.

Bottom line is there are a lot of rude things I could honestly say about Obama & Biden & what the democrat party stands for. But I don't say them because I don't think it would be helpful to any discussion that I think a few people might actually be interested in.

I'll finish with my favorite funny quote this election season. Just because it makes me happy.

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see you. Oh, God love you. What am I talking about?" - Joe Biden, September, 2008

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 04:11 PM
"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see you. Oh, God love you. What am I talking about?" - Joe Biden, September, 2008

OK, I just laughed out loud.

LarsMal
10-31-2008, 04:14 PM

Then mine would have to be, "Joe. Stand up Joe. Where's Joe? I thought Joe was here...Well, then you're ALL Joe the Plumber, so stand up and...I'll thank you."

Seriously...why is he (Joe the Plumber, not Joe the Senator) in the picture! ;)

Rainbows&Roses
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Considering the question of the OP, I don't think any democrats should be apologizing for anything they have said in this thread or trying to make McCain/Palin supporters feel more comfortable on this board.

If you support McCain/Palin, you support the kind of campaign they are running which is one big insult to Obama supporters, democrats in general, people who don't live in "Pro-America" parts of the country, many women for a whole plethora of reasons and I could go on and on and on.

Palin continuously spews negativity, distortions and lies on the campaign trail. It actually makes me physically feel sick when I see people who I used to respect have her name in their yard. I could have respected McCain as president, but no longer. That did not end with the pick of Palin however. That ended with him turning into a complete hyprocrite.

And I shall end with one of my favorite quotes.

""I just have to rely on the good judgment of the voters not to buy into these negative attack ads. Sooner or later, people are going to figure out if all you run is negative attack ads you don't have much of a vision for the future or you're not ready to articulate it."

That was McCain in 2000, when he apparently had a vision for the future and a readiness to articulate it. Not anymore."

Wife_and_mommy
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
In fact I wish that those who are supporting the Republican ticket would be more substantively vocal about your candidates, or why you object to the Democratic candidates.

I do this on occasion (about all things, not just politics). I don't feel right posting without having a reference to back it up partly because of getting pounced on. I should be scrubbing my floors but I'm sitting here posting. I can't spend a while looking up references to back a 2 paragraph post.

Like you, Melinda, I know what I know but can't regurgitate it on command. I do appreciate your civility though. :)

Carp, DH is walking in and the kids are waking...gotta go.

Have a pleasant halloween, ladies.

Oh, and Beth, I *so* appreciate your heart to respond to others in a way that is respectful. Thank you! :grouphug: to you too.

srhs
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, I agree. In fact I wish that those who are supporting the Republican ticket would be more substantively vocal about your candidates, or why you object to the Democratic candidates.

Great, then let's knock off the rudeness.

Look at the tone. I just went through every post on the 2 political threads in the Lounge. I count 8 blatantly rude non-substantive comments about Palin. The closest thing I could find on Obama was a discussion about whether the infomercial could have appeared arrogant, which everyone agreed is a prerequisite for running for Pres.
Why would anyone want to throw their policy concerns into such a hostile environment? Honestly, I'm not interested in making rude/sarcastic quips about Obama or Biden.

But, for crying out loud, Chuck, do STAND UP!

irie i
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
I just want to say that I am putting myself back into this thread. I am not letting people silence me. As a woman and a minority I know that is what too many Republicans love to do...and I refuse to give them that satisfaction. I will continue to speak my mind.

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 04:33 PM
I do this on occasion (about all things, not just politics). I don't feel right posting without having a reference to back it up partly because of getting pounced on. I should be scrubbing my floors but I'm sitting here posting. I can't spend a while looking up references to back a 2 paragraph post.

I appreciate the difficulty, esp. since i have the same one!:ROTFLMAO:In fact, I was going to suggest that we go ahead and post our 2 paragraph views/arguments first, without citing the requisite number of references to back it up right then. For me, the difficulty is not so much time as it is knowing where to look. But I AM interested in why people are supportive of Palin. McCain I can respect as a longtime experienced politician, even though I disagree with his policies. Palin, is where you lose me. I canNOT imagine her as VP, let alone pres. She just hasn't shown that she has the stuff. She is capable of speaking someone else's line very effectively, but what of her own thoughts, her own capabilities, accomplisments? THAT's what I want to know from Palin supporters, and I have yet to see/hear them, and I check this board a LOT.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, and Beth, I *so* appreciate your heart to respond to others in a way that is respectful. Thank you! :grouphug: to you too.

Well, I've unintentionally stepped over the line more than once, causing hurt feelings, for which I'm sorry.

Thanks for understanding and being patient with me, Republican/McCain/Palin supporters.

elektra
10-31-2008, 04:39 PM

:yeahthat:
I think this may be my first post on a "political" thread although I have lurked on the majority of them.
There are more moderate boards out there (ivillage even has specific "liberal", "moderate", and "conservative" boards) and even more liberal boards too (I saw on post on MDC calling for all the board members to give out good spiritual vibes for Obama or something like that).
For me, I find it welcoming that even though there are open topic forums like the LOUNGE here, there is no official agenda to the board other maybe that the promotion of purchasing baby products. Although, I do agree that in general this board leans more toward the left.
I consider myself liberal and am voting for Obama in the election. I have so welcomed all the viewpoints from others who disagree with me here though. And there are of course the smaller silly/funny/annyoing-to-some posts that mention gagging or whatever. And I do agree that the majority of them are anti-McCain/Palin vs. anti-Obama/Biden.
But I also think that most of the arguments and posts for both sides have been well stated, backed up with facts or just thoughtful posts. That has often not been my experience on other boards, especially the thoughtful or intelligent part.

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Palin, is where you lose me. I canNOT imagine her as VP, let alone pres. She just hasn't shown that she has the stuff.

Well, IME, there have been many weak VP candidates over the years. Dan Quayle wasn't exactly a rocket scientist (or, at least he probably couldn't spell "rocket scientist"). I actually didn't think Al Gore was a particularly strong VP candidate either. There are others, but you get my point.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, IME, there have been many weak VP candidates over the years. Dan Quayle wasn't exactly a rocket scientist (or, at least he probably couldn't spell "rocket scientist"). I actually didn't think Al Gore was a particularly strong VP candidate either. There are others, but you get my point.

Anyone care to discuss this:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/10/palin-fears-med.html

Palin apparently fears that her 1st amendment right to free speech is being threatened by the press.

I don't get it. The first amendment guarantees the right to a free press. Whether she likes it or not, the press, even the "liberal media", are free to criticize.

I scratch my head at this and wonder how much of the Constitution she understands? (taking into account some of her other comments in the past with respect to "expanding the role of the Vice President.")

How do the Palin supporters feel about this? Are you okay with an expanded role for the VP in general?

kijip
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Back to the OP :p-

I'd likely not go and see either Obama, Biden, Palin or McCain if they were down the block from me. Call me lazy but I am a busy, working mother who needs restroom facilities often for either pregnancy related vomiting or frequent urination. I don't really relish the idea of being in a crowd, usually without a seat, near people that are yelling and cheering, being jostled by people's elbows and signs etc. It gets hot in crowds like that. And I don't want to show up vomiting at a rally on some YouTube video. I have been to many a campaign events in my life, and but right now for me to see any candidate, the Secret Service is going to have to knock on my door and usher them in for tea. Since I don't expect to see that happening, I think I am out of luck.

Also, I feel I know all of their stump speeches pretty well. It's not like I would be going for information, but for being able to be there and witness it first hand. Not saying that is not valuable, but I just don't feel up to it this year. I went in the primaries. That is enough, LOL.

FWIW, I just passed up a chance to see Biden too so it's not theoretical.

Nooknookmom
10-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I would go see a candidate speak if it were up the road from me. Why not? I know someone who went to a Palin rally and said there was such an energy there even in the pouring rain. Tons of moms and kids there, too.

Agreed. I'd go - just b/c this election is so unique historically. You could say you were there & come away what Palin is like IRL. Even if you aren't on the same page politically, it might be fun :)

Fairy
10-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Funny you say that Kristen ... eyerolling, projectile vomiting ...

Hey, I just wanna pipe in to say that if there's a projectile vomiting smilie out there, there is a way better thread out there that i'd like to use it in ... ?

irie i
10-31-2008, 06:32 PM
There totally is! I used to have it on a forum I used to mod at...

HAHAHAHA I can't find that particular one but here are a few good ones:

http://planetsmilies.net/smilies/vomit/

These would have come in handy with that thread about the woman who had a visitor who was putting his wee wee fingers in the Arrabiata!!

lizajane
10-31-2008, 07:11 PM
[quote=brittone2]Former Sec. of State Eagleburger came out today and said "Of Course" Palin is not ready if needed to step in as President. And he's a McCain supporter.[quote]

here is something funny in a tense thread. i went to high school with eagleburger's son. so i have been to his house.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 07:36 PM
[quote=brittone2]Former Sec. of State Eagleburger came out today and said "Of Course" Palin is not ready if needed to step in as President. And he's a McCain supporter.[quote]

here is something funny in a tense thread. i went to high school with eagleburger's son. so i have been to his house.

That is funny!!!

ErinMC
10-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't go to hear a person that you don't agree with. Aren't we all richer for meeting people from all walks of life? Don't we study comparative religion, or read parenting books that don't 100% jive with our style? It makes us more rounded people, if we approach it from an educational perspective. Your mind is made up. She is not going to change your mind. Go there with the plan to listen and not be swayed. It is an opportunity to learn what other people think. I don't see why this is a difficult decision.

I Agree completely.

LarsMal
11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, I ended up going to the rally. (It was a rally, so there were no tickets.)

My neighbor and I decided to walk up around 9:30 and Palin was going on at 10. We actually saw her motorcade in. My neighbor is also an Obama supporter.

It was about what I expected. I thought it seemed like a decent size crowd for a chilly, late night, but my neighbor thought it was pretty small. I actually did fine with her speech...except when she talked about Obama's tax plan...it's such BS! I just don't know how she can get away with the mistruths she tells. I kind of shook my head at a couple of her comments, but it could have been read as shaking my head in disgust at Obama!! I was never in fear of being beaten up! It was also out on a football field, and we stayed to the back, so there weren't many people around. I didn't cause any problems!

There weren't any protestors, peaceful or otherwise. There was a group of young guys in the crowd that I could tell were Obama supporters (they were not being quite as good as I was) but they weren't disrespectful or anything like that. I think they were also there just to check things out, maybe get extra points from their teachers or something! They left early.

So, I'm glad I went just to experience it, since it was so close to my house. But, the people there were part of the base, and clear supporters, so she wasn't swaying anyone. Her speech was pretty tame, no major slams, just some major twisting of Obama's record and policy, but that's to be expected.

mommy111
11-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I didn't get to post before but I would totally go. Even if I was not a supporter. Just to see. You know, this election is history in the making and so, why not? But I'm one of those people who like to experience everything at least once.

crayonblue
11-02-2008, 08:53 AM

I just read through this whole thread and here are my thoughts:

I can't speak for everyone but the reason I don't "bash" Obama although I completely disagree with him is because I respect him as a human being. I realize that some of you might say that you don't respect Palin but I think that says more about you than her. You may completely gag at what she says but she is still running for VP of our country and I don't think any of you (or me) will ever have the honor of that position.

I can sit down and bullet point everything I dislike about Obama's policies and moral stances but I see no good in blasting away at him as a person or gagging, vomiting or any of the other lovely expressions of disrespect.

Just my opinion.

ETA: Julie, I think that is great that you went! I'm sure it was interesting for you, if nothing else! :)

mommylamb
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Gotta say, I take issue with the assumption that the conservatives on this list never say things that are out of line. I've felt personally attacked on several occations (not necessarily in this thread) by conservatives here. And, while I don't think it's right to mount personal attacks like that, saying negative things about a candidate, IMO, is totally fair game, especially if you back it up with facts. I think there have been many instances of conservatives saying negative things about Obama. that's totally ok in my opinion. They should just come with the facts, and if they can't back them up, than that's their problem. Don't claim victimization, have a thicker skin than that. Both sides feel passionately and it's ok to say so.

Piglet
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Gotta say, I take issue with the assumption that the conservatives on this list never say things that are out of line. I've felt personally attacked on several occations (not necessarily in this thread) by conservatives here. And, while I don't think it's right to mount personal attacks like that, saying negative things about a candidate, IMO, is totally fair game, especially if you back it up with facts. I think there have been many instances of conservatives saying negative things about Obama. that's totally ok in my opinion. They should just come with the facts, and if they can't back them up, than that's their problem. Don't claim victimization, have a thicker skin than that. Both sides feel passionately and it's ok to say so.

I don't think it is victimization as much as just plain giving up on these boards. Looking at the polls, this is a very close race. By that measure, these boards should really be split pretty close as well. Look at the political threads and you will see a large number of Obama supporters posting in all of them and very few McCain supporters (and this is coming from a Canadian observing the US elections for the first time). I think that if the country is split so close then the reason McCain supporters don't show up here is that either 1) in this demographic (moms of young kids) Obama is the guy or 2) the McCain supporters don't want to "come out" because they feel it will only cause problems. By the 2nd assumption, I think that the ones that do speak up are VERY passionate and they feel defensive and have to stand up for their views. What you may feel is attacking is really a small group of people trying to defend their very bashed beliefs. Melinda said it best that if you found yourself in a sea of people that disagreed with your views you too would either shut up or get really vocal in your defense. It is human nature. I am not trying to get into the specifics of the candidates or their followers, but really as an outsider looking in, I have never seen such disdain for the other side as I see here in the US :(

Wife_and_mommy
11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I was never in fear of being beaten up!

I'm happy to hear you came out unscathed. ;)

So, tell me, what mistruths were told?

irie i
11-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I realize that some of you might say that you don't respect Palin but I think that says more about you than her. You may completely gag at what she says but she is still running for VP of our country and I don't think any of you (or me) will ever have the honor of that position.

Ok, so because you believe that nobody here will ever run for VP we aren't allowed to have a negative opinion and be so disgusted about someone that is running? I guess we should all just stop voting then since we aren't allowed to opine.

I think Sarah Palin has taught most people that any Tom, Dick, or Harriet can possibly make it into that position...so don't be so quick to underestimate. :shrug:

mommylamb
11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't think it is victimization as much as just plain giving up on these boards. Looking at the polls, this is a very close race. By that measure, these boards should really be split pretty close as well. Look at the political threads and you will see a large number of Obama supporters posting in all of them and very few McCain supporters (and this is coming from a Canadian observing the US elections for the first time). I think that if the country is split so close then the reason McCain supporters don't show up here is that either 1) in this demographic (moms of young kids) Obama is the guy or 2) the McCain supporters don't want to "come out" because they feel it will only cause problems. By the 2nd assumption, I think that the ones that do speak up are VERY passionate and they feel defensive and have to stand up for their views. What you may feel is attacking is really a small group of people trying to defend their very bashed beliefs. Melinda said it best that if you found yourself in a sea of people that disagreed with your views you too would either shut up or get really vocal in your defense. It is human nature. I am not trying to get into the specifics of the candidates or their followers, but really as an outsider looking in, I have never seen such disdain for the other side as I see here in the US :(

There may be more Ds than Rs participating in this thread, but I think if you believe in something, and have a reason for that belief that you can use to back youself up, there's nothing wrong in saying so. I don't think you should make personal attacks, but I don't think it's true that all the conservatives never attack anyone else, or never make negative comments about candidates, but the more left leaning posters do. It's just not true. I really enjoy discussing things like this with people who disagree with me, so long as the attack doesn't get personal.

Piglet
11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
There may be more Ds than Rs participating in this thread, but I think if you believe in something, and have a reason for that belief that you can use to back youself up, there's nothing wrong in saying so. I don't think you should make personal attacks, but I don't think it's true that all the conservatives never attack anyone else, or never make negative comments about candidates, but the more left leaning posters do. It's just not true. I really enjoy discussing things like this with people who disagree with me, so long as the attack doesn't get personal.

I absolutely agree - it should never be personal! I love a good debate myself, so I read these threads with the intent of learning the issues and finding out where both sides stand. I just think that if you are the lone gazelle in a group of lions, you either fight back with all you have or you try very hard to not make a noise and hope that none of them notice you, YKWIM?

ETA: disclaimer - I do not and have not ever felt that Ds were lion or Rs were gazelles or vice versa and please do not read anything into anything I just wrote... I feel like everyone is so tense that even that comparison might get me flamed these days

LarsMal
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm happy to hear you came out unscathed. ;)

So, tell me, what mistruths were told?

Nothing new...honestly I was totally into people watching, and my neighbor and I were watching some sketchy woman and her man walking around so I didn't really catch all of what she was saying. I actually think it was pretty boring! I didn't get the sense that the crowd was very energized, but then again, some had been there for 4+ hours, so maybe they were just tired!

The biggest one was on taxes- that Obama is going to raise taxes on anyone who makes more than $42,000 a year. And, of course, that he voted 94% of the time to increase taxes (which is such a twist of facts!).

The First Dude was there, too, but no kids or Joe the Plumber!

She was basically trying to convince people just to vote and "Keep Virginia Red", which started the chant "Keep it Red" going. (I wore black!!!)

She talked a little about having an advocate in the White House for special needs, which I think she would do/be, but she also slashed the Special Olympics budget in Alaska (I believe since the baby was born, but I might be wrong on that, it was fairly recent, though). That sort of stuff is what really irks me about her- especially when she made the snarky comment about earmarks for studying fruitflies and how ridiculous that is. What she obviously didn't know is that by studying the fruitflies scientists have found a potential link to autism and some nerve or something, that could open a lot of info and further research into causes/treatments for autism. I just don't understand who lets her say this stuff!

The other big one, for me, is that she has absolutely NO clue when it comes to the Constitution. Aside from not knowing the job of a VP, her latest comment on the First Ammendment and freedom of speech almost kept me from even going to hear what she had to say! So, I agree with pp who said Palin pretty much proves that any Tom, Dick, or Harriet can become a VP candiate. Good looks and female anatomy got her the spot (IMO) and not a whole lot more.

Here's the quote:

"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

(And I don't think I made any vomiting comments, so this post should be safe as far as stating my opinion- I hope!)

Ceepa
11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
There has been a fuss made over what has been described as general nastiness, snarkiness, etc., from the McCain/Palin camp but the overwhelming number of snipes on this board come from those supporting Obama/Biden. It's just interesting (and ironic) that those championing messages of tolerance and positive campaigning, hope, etc., seem to be the ones making the lionshare of negative, snarky, angry comments and reveling in the character assassination pile-on of Palin. To me there seems to be a disconnect from the orchestrated Obama message and the behavior of his supporters.

It just makes me scratch my head a bit. That's all. :shrug:

Even still ... THAT IS EVERYONE'S PREROGATIVE. It is called freedom of speech. So keep on, ladies. Thank goodness we all have that right.

mamicka
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I just read through this whole thread and here are my thoughts:

I can't speak for everyone but the reason I don't "bash" Obama although I completely disagree with him is because I respect him as a human being. I realize that some of you might say that you don't respect Palin but I think that says more about you than her. You may completely gag at what she says but she is still running for VP of our country and I don't think any of you (or me) will ever have the honor of that position.

I can sit down and bullet point everything I dislike about Obama's policies and moral stances but I see no good in blasting away at him as a person or gagging, vomiting or any of the other lovely expressions of disrespect.

Just my opinion.

ETA: Julie, I think that is great that you went! I'm sure it was interesting for you, if nothing else! :)

Lana, I always appreciate your opinion. I think that I'm one of the more vocal conservatives here & I have to admit that I have lots of disrespectful thoughts about the D candidates. But I think that at the end of the day, I have to give them credit & respect for who they are regardless what I think of their beliefs. I've tried not to say anything here that is disrespectful & I'm not %100 that I've succeeded. But I think that's the big difference here. I don't see very much respect from the other side for the R candidates. When I think there might be respectful debate, I might join in. If I don't see any, then why would I or anyone else bother?

Nobody is saying that its wrong to say something negative about a candidate. But if its disrespectful, then we must be honest that its not about a discussion & it doesn't invite thoughtful explanations about our opinions.

mommylamb
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Here's the quote:

"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

I agree that that quote is kind of disturbing too. No one is stopping her from speaking. Criticizing something she does isn't an infringement on her first ammendment rights.

I'm almost afraid to bring this up because I don't want anyone to get offended, but have you guys heard that prank call that Palin got sucked into? I'm not a fan, but even I'm embarrassed for her. I can't believe she didn't catch on when the fake Sarkosy said his wife is so hot in bed.

LarsMal
11-02-2008, 03:35 PM
There has been a fuss made over what has been described as general nastiness, snarkiness, etc., from the McCain/Palin camp but the overwhelming number of snipes on this board come from those supporting Obama/Biden. It's just interesting (and ironic) that those championing messages of tolerance and positive campaigning, hope, etc., seem to be the ones making the lionshare of negative, snarky, angry comments and reveling in the character assassination pile-on of Palin. To me there seems to be a disconnect from the orchestrated Obama message and the behavior of his supporters.

It just makes me scratch my head a bit. That's all. :shrug:

Even still ... THAT IS EVERYONE'S PREROGATIVE. It is called freedom of speech. So keep on, ladies. Thank goodness we all have that right.

I agree with you that the comments go against Obama's display of and ability to take the high road and stay away from the character assassination of both Palin and McCain. I've heard several people on news shows comment that part the reason Obama "has" to do that is so he doesn't come across as "just another angry black man". I just think- if that is part of it- that is ridiculous and so unfair!

I also think that the reason Obama supporters say more negative things about McCain and Palin, especially Palin, is because Obama *doesn't* or *can't* and it's a way of defending him. At least that's my take on it.