PDA

View Full Version : Do you typically get DH a present for your anniversary

kellij
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
If so, what haven't you gotten. I need ideas! :)

Thanks!
Kelli

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
We usually go out to dinner and usually use our anniversary as an excuse to buy something we both want for the house. Not that exciting I guess LOL. Our anniversary is in December, as is my bday, DD's bday, a few other extended family bdays, and of course Christmas. There's enough gift buying/getting without buying each other individual gifts, so we tend to just pick out something special we want for home.

Ceepa
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
We usually go out to dinner and usually use our anniversary as an excuse to buy something we both want for the house.

This is what we do, too.

mommylamb
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
We usually get a present for us, rather than me getting him a present and him getting me a present. The us present is usually something for the house. Last year we got a GPS. This year we bought furniture and decided it was our anniversary present.

hellokitty
10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
No, I rarely get gifts for my DH, bday, christmas, or our anniversary. He is difficult to buy for, b/c he basically has no problems buying himself whatever he wants. However, if I knew of anything that he really wanted and I was able to buy it, I would get it for him (the things he likes are not things you can just buy at a normal store, so it makes it difficult for me).

For us, we try to celebrate together by having a nice dinner out (as a family) or doing a, "date" at home. Next yr is our 10th wedding anniversary and I think that we are going to go out on a real date for the first time since having kids. We went to a really nice seafood restaurant with mil and fil a few months ago and I think it would be a lovely place to have an anniversary dinner together and since it's in mil and fil's town, they will be able to babysit. :)

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 02:34 PM
The first three anniversaries, before Dora was born, I made us an anniversary scrapbook. We did a lot of adventuring before kids, and I wanted to be sure to get it all down so we'd remember and have something to look forward to after the kids fly the coop. Dh got me a ring the first anniversary, then we both got each other a nice gift our 5th year. Oh I think one year, can't remember which, Dh got a seal with our initials. What we do every year is go out to dinner, then exchange love letters. We don't write letters to each other at any other time, hardly ever write emails, but we do the letters. It's very sweet for us to read what the other thinks from one year to the next. We'll have instructions for our kids after we're gone. I can't remember if we wanted them burned, or read, then burned:p

For our 5th I got Dh a Fisher Space pen engraved with a message and the date. Very geeky, but he loved it.

mecawa
10-31-2008, 02:42 PM
When we were first married we got gifts for each other. Now we get a babysitter and go out to dinner, usually no gifts, although there has been a couple of years he surprised me with something totally unexpected, which was nice.

DietCokeLover
10-31-2008, 02:42 PM
We don't typically do a whole lot for anniversaries. We usually go to dinner and maybe out for ice cream afterwards. Before babies, we would go for a night in a Bed and Breakfast. But we don't normally exchange gifts.

kellij
10-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, we were at a Coach outlet recently and I suggested that the purse I wanted be an anniversary present. :) Just needed to justify the present for myself! DH is pretty difficult to buy for. He just doesn't care to have many things.

It's our 5th, so I was trying to do something, but no ideas. Actually I had planned to do a photobook, but our pics go back 13 years, definitely pre-digital camera and the scanning is going to take forever! Maybe I'll get him a raincheck for it and start working on it. That seems really anniversaryish to me.

wendibird22
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
We've been married 4 years and haven given each other gifts every year. We "try" to follow the gift that corresponds with each year (1st year paper, etc). Loosely based of course and with the the ability to follow either the traditional or modern gift. The 4th year was fruit/flowers/technology. I gave DH fruit of the loom boxers and portable speakers for his ipod. He got me roses and a bluetooth headset for my cell phone. We do go out for a nice restaurant but DH usually makes all of those arrangements. Past gifts have included a digital picture frame, custom baseball jersey of his favorite team, beer for a year (club membership to our local microbrewery), tickets to a sporting event.

kijip
10-31-2008, 04:56 PM
We pick out something art-y like to decorate the house, usually a painting or a photograph. We mostly limit it to an original, local piece. We have been married for 6 years (7 in early 2009) and we have exactly 6 pieces of decent art in the house (well plus a 2 things that were gifts). It's great.

Obviously, we don't have a large budget for this. The most we have spent is $600-700. Usually it is closer to $200. One year it was $50!

This is our combined Christmas/Anniversary gift.

It means a lot more to me than a gadget or clutter. Ipods and cell phones and curtains will all wear out/become dated but this is stuff we will have forever and some of which I imagine will become heirlooms for our children and grandchildren. Neither of us is big into jewelry so that is out. The stuff goes up on the wall and stays there and in time we will have a house full of meaningful to us art, even if it is all but worthless as far as art goes. And we don't have a lot of prints or other cheap hangings on the wall. it's sparse, but getting better each year LOL.

It got noticeably worse when we moved into our three level house...very sparse. But can only get better. :boogie:

s7714
10-31-2008, 06:17 PM
We generally don't buy gifts for each other on our anniversary. If we happen to have a babysitter available we'll go out that night (or during the closest weekend) but that's about it. Although this year we both managed to forget it was our anniversary until the next day! :rolleye0014:

Asianmommy
10-31-2008, 11:39 PM
For the first 5 years of our marriage, we would go spend a night at a bed & breakfast to celebrate. Since having the kids, we're lucky just to go out for dinner. Last year, for our tenth, we took the kids with us for a weekend at a waterpark resort in Wisconsin. It was fun, and I got him swimtrunks, a T-shirt, and water shoes for his gift.

momtoonegirl
11-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Pre-kids, DH and I wouldn't exchange presents, but we always scheduled a weeklong vacation around the time of our anniversary to a nice location (e.g. Carribean, Europe, etc.).

After DD was born, usually we either go out to dinner or have take-out, which is fine with us.

hillview
11-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes we do. It ranges from nice to just a token.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Lately we have just been doing cards and dinner. This year we both bought cards but never got around to writing in them. It was pretty funny when we both saw each other's blank card. :)

Beth

teedeedee
11-02-2008, 02:11 AM
We go have photos taken. This year we had family photos made as it was the first year we have our little one. =)

When they are ready, we buy a few. As a bonus, this makes Christmas shopping for our family super easy- everyone gets pictures!

Melbel
11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
We pick out something art-y like to decorate the house, usually a painting or a photograph. We mostly limit it to an original, local piece.
It means a lot more to me than a gadget or clutter. Ipods and cell phones and curtains will all wear out/become dated but this is stuff we will have forever and some of which I imagine will become heirlooms for our children and grandchildren.

What a great idea. Our 12th anniversary is next weekend, so this is a timely thread. My favorite, memorable anniversary gifts are the "investment" type pieces for the house, that hope to keep forever. With our new LO, I may try to have professional photographs taken of the new, expanded family, something I am certain to cherish.

nfowife
11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
We usually do cards and dinner (get a sitter).