PDA

View Full Version : Bush to weaken environmental/consumer protection

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
before leaving office as part of push for "midnight deregulation."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103004749.html?hpid=topnews

Diane Rehm story on Presidential "Midnight Deregulation"

http://wamu.org/programs/dr/08/10/28.php#23515

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
See, this is exactly why power should transfer immediately after the election. It gives the outgoing President too much of a chance to do stuff that can't be undone, especially if the opposing party wins.

Sigh.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
See, this is exactly why power should transfer immediately after the election. It gives the outgoing President too much of a chance to do stuff that can't be undone, especially if the opposing party wins.

Sigh.

Uh huh. The Diane Rehm show pointed out that Clinton did this as well. One of his last minute changes was to tighten the amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water (and the new reports out about just how dangerous arsenic is for kids make me thankful). I can handle that ;) but it makes me frustrated to see a lame duck president suddenly take *this* type of action. No surprise, but it ticks me off. You knew that already though ;)

randomkid
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Uh huh. The Diane Rehm show pointed out that Clinton did this as well. One of his last minute changes was to tighten the amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water (and the new reports out about just how dangerous arsenic is for kids make me thankful). I can handle that ;) but it makes me frustrated to see a lame duck president suddenly take *this* type of action. No surprise, but it ticks me off. You knew that already though ;)

Yes, but Clinton also pardoned several criminals just before he left office.

mommylamb
10-31-2008, 01:25 PM

His staff also removed all the W keys on the keyboards in the White House. Personally, I think it's funny... then again I'm sure taxpayer dollars went to replace the keyboards. But, they all do stuff like that at the end.

On a more serious note, the deregulations stuff is pretty awful. But I'm not at all surprised that W would do it.

brittone2
10-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Oh, I agree. I'm not giving anyone a pass for pushing through last minute changes, frankly. I just am particularly concerned about Bush being able to push through his last minute agenda in particular. I can't think of too many citizens (particularly those of us who are parents) in favor of making it much more difficult to enact the Endangered Species Act, or being happy with looser restrictions on pollution, relaxing drinking water standards, etc.

randomkid
10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, I agree. I'm not giving anyone a pass for pushing through last minute changes, frankly. I just am particularly concerned about Bush being able to push through his last minute agenda in particular. I can't think of too many citizens (particularly those of us who are parents) in favor of making it much more difficult to enact the Endangered Species Act, or being happy with looser restrictions on pollution, relaxing drinking water standards, etc.

I agree with you. Why the heck would they want to do that? Some hidden agenda, money changing hands, etc. somewhere - ugh!

maestramommy
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Does this country really need more deregulation?:shake:

brittone2
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree with you. Why the heck would they want to do that? Some hidden agenda, money changing hands, etc. somewhere - ugh!

The changes he's expected to make are all beneficial to big business. It makes it easier for them to make $ if they have fewer regulations on environmental impact, etc.

bubbaray
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Does this country really need more deregulation?:shake:

ITA

Way OT, but Melinda, my girls have those same Hanna PDs. LOVE them!! :)

brittone2
10-31-2008, 05:10 PM
bumping up to also add that listening to the Diane Rehm segment, one thing that may also come under fire is FMLA. I'm not sure how Bush wants to change the regulations in this case, but I heard it mentioned during the show (haven't gotten to hear it in its entirety yet).

Thought that might be of interest to the parents on this board. FMLA could potentially have some change in store (again, that helps businesses, but not us as parents).

kijip
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Don't most Presidents grant some pardons before leaving office? Bush Sr, Reagan, Carter and many more? And I think Clinton pardoned more than several. ;) I would bet GWB does too. Bush Sr did for sure. Presidential pardons are a part of our justice system.