PDA

View Full Version : Axid

frzgrl2008
10-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Is anyone else's child on Axid for reflux? The pharmacist said to give 30 minutes before a feeding. This is really hard for us to accomplish. So should we just give when we remember (like during a feeding) or wait until 30 minutes before the next feeding? It seems the minute I give it to her she wants to eat and then I have to listen to screaming for 30 minutes.

Also, wondered what kind of improvement you see and how long. We haven't really noticed huge signs. She is still fussy and spitting up a lot. She may not be as fussy during the feeding but I can't really tell.

MamaMolly
10-31-2008, 10:46 PM
I think that different pediatricians give different advice. DD was on Axid for over a year. We were not told about the 30 minute before feeding thing, but other people have told me that is what they were instructed to do.

We were told to give it to DD at consistent intervals every day. So say she was supposed to get .5mil 3 times a day, I'd give her the first dose when she got out of bed (like at 8:00 am) and knowing that her bedtime was usually around 8:00 pm, then I'd plan to give the second dose at around 2:00 pm, then the third at bedtime. I would adjust the times based on when she woke up in the morning, but kept the 6 hour interval the same. It seemed to really work for us. The reasoning was that the medicine has to stay at a consistent level in her system in order to work properly.

We were also told to have her sit upright for 30 minutes after eating and let me tell you, that was tricky. I often gave up at 15 minutes (I was just so tired!) It was also frustrating because she was a baby who could happily go into her crib drowsy and fall asleep on her own, and then when we had to keep her upright, she learned to prefer falling asleep in our arms. That will wear you flat out!

Hope this helps...

nfowife
11-01-2008, 02:27 AM
We tried Axid as well, but it didn't work for DS so we moved on to Prevacid and that helped a lot.

BabyMine
11-01-2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.marci-kids.com/

Here is a great website. We are on prevacid.

Melbel
11-01-2008, 05:36 AM
We tried Axid as well, but it didn't work for DS so we moved on to Prevacid and that helped a lot.

:yeahthat:
We actually tried Zantac first, then Axid then Prevacid. By far, Prevacid helped the most. Just be aware that some pediatricians do not like to prescribe for under 1 year olds because it is currently off label. We ended up switching to a sole practitioner pediatrician because some of the pediatricians in my old group would not prescribe Prevacid off label. We also treat with a pediatric gastroenterologist who personally contacted a doctor at Marci Kids, an organization that has conducted research on Prevacid treatment and dosage in infants, to discuss the research. BTW, Axid is only FDA approved for 12+ IIRC, but it is in the same class of drugs as Zantac (H2 blockers) which has been FDA approved for under age 1. The research on Marci Kids is helpful to explain why Prevacid (a PPI, proton pump inhibitor) is more effective at treating reflux in infants and provides a dosage calculator. Infants metabolize the medicine 3x as fast as adults, which is why it needs to be administered 3x/day. With Prevacid, you definitely should give it 30-60 minutes before a feeding which is incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. We use an Itzbeen timer which helps keep us straight on when DD2 last fed, and how long it has been since she had her medicine.

You may also want to check out www.infantreflux.org for a wealth of information and many helpful mothers of reflux babies.

nfowife
11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
I didn't know prevacid was off label for under 1. When we first started using it we had the granules which are a huge PITA, I was not doing any bottles and it was a lot of liquid to get the meds into DS. Finally I convinced my ped to give me the solutabs and those were so much easier- just stick on a baby spoon, add a few drops of water and the pill disintegrates and baby licked it right off the spoon. I hated the granules!!

hellbennt
11-01-2008, 10:14 AM
see my sig:wavey: