PDA

View Full Version : *Tell us something about YOU that would surprise us!*

Corie
11-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us.

I'll go first-

1. I could live on donuts.

2. I cuss alot.

3. I can wiggle my booty, one cheek at a time.
(My Dad can do it too. And my grandma too.)
It's a lost art.

Cam&Clay
11-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay, I'm game....

I can touch my nose with my tongue! Doesn't serve much purpose, and I usually have to have a few drinks before I'll show anyone that I can do that!

Susan
DS1 age 10 years
DS2 age 10 months

MamaMolly
11-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I can wiggle my booty, one cheek at a time. (My Dad can do it too. And my grandma too.) It's a lost art.

Hey! I can do that too! Gimmie a few drinks and I do a killer Tina Turner version of Rollin' on the River!

PSA of the day, don't ask your DH to help you with answering this question. You might not like the answers.

Emmas Mom
11-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I've lived in 10 states & one foreign country (Iran). And yes....I'm an Army brat. ;)

Oh! I just thought of something else....I went out with Mitt Romney's oldest son for awhile in college. I actually went to a football game with him, his wife & his son and then we all went out to dinner. Nice family. I wish he'd been the Rep nominee. My DH loves telling people that story. lol

sidmand
11-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Hmmm...None of these are all that wacky, just not what you would expect of me, probably.

1. I met my DH through the personal ads (if it had been later, maybe it would've been the Internet instead)

2. I lived in a tent in England for 8 weeks while working on an archaeological dig digging up a Roman villa

3. I have a tattoo

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more!

bubbaray
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I used to be a radio DJ.

MMEand1
11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Umm, I'm sure many of you know these about me, but I can't think of anything else...

1) I tested Spacesuits for NASA

2) I am an alumni of OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom)

3) My DS started running 5k races when he was 3 years old

4) My DH has been a SAHD for almost 6 years

5) I am seriously considering changing my (almost) 4 year old DD's name to reflect what she has been called since birth

Nothing too exciting, but oh well...

mdb78
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Singer Gloria Estefan's son, Nayib (sp?), was in my class in the 2nd grade. He was actually like a year younger, but this was a Montessori school, so the majority were the same age and probably 2 or 3 were a year younger.. This was back when the songs "Conga" and "Bad Boy" came out and she was just getting popular. Unfortunately, I remember him being a brat. She came in one time for a meeting with the principal and I remember all of us trying to peek in. His grandmother was usually the one picking him up, but we all still ran to the front just in case it was Gloria! lol..

I've been told by several people that I'm related to Enrique Iglesias through his mother's side. He's like my 3rd or 4th cousin. He has alot of fans down here, and I never say anything. Not even my closest friends knew until one time in high school I got annoyed at this girl who thought she was better than everyone and I knew she was a big fan, so I told her. :p

Nothing else going on in my life seems really wacky or interesting.

MMMommy
11-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I can do the moonwalk dance.

I have a huge collection of Archie digest comics.

I love unbearably, painfully spicy foods. Bring on the heat!

strollerqueen
11-02-2008, 06:57 AM
I used to be a radio DJ.

LOL, me too! I got my license when I was 15!

mommy111
11-02-2008, 07:51 AM
I've lived in 10 states & one foreign country (Iran). And yes....I'm an Army brat. ;)

Oh! I just thought of something else....I went out with Mitt Romney's oldest son for awhile in college. I actually went to a football game with him, his wife & his son and then we all went out to dinner. Nice family. I wish he'd been the Rep nominee. My DH loves telling people that story. lol

Not wishing to turn this into politics, but just sayin that if Romney had been the VP nominee, there may have been something close to a McCain landslide now. Really, even me, a lefty, would be sooooo tempted.

Hrrrmmmmph, and now going back to our regularly sched program, I am so boring. My only revelation is that I could live on cheese forever. And no, I'm not from a 'cheese' state.
Also, donuts and coca cola

sidmand
11-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I have a huge collection of Archie digest comics.

Hey, me too! My Dad was cleaning out his house and brought them all over here. I have no idea what to do with them. Right now they're on a bookshelf in the playroom, but they're not worth anything but sentimental value. I can't throw them out...maybe DS or DD will like them someday.

LarsMal
11-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty boring! Nothing too exciting, but...

1) Before an injury in college that ended my dancing days, I was a dancer for 15 years- ballet and contemporary. I danced at the Kennedy Center once, not on the "big stage", but it was still pretty exciting. I taught beginner ballet when I was in high school, which was really fun. All the dancing shows that are on these days really have me missing it, so my goal is to get my body back in shape after #3 and take some adult classes.

2) I am a disgustingly fast eater! I'm also lucky I got my dad's build and metabolism, b/c I am a BIG eater!!! French fries are my downfall- and anything chocolate- cookies, cake, candy, bring it on! I could never eat ice cream again, though, and be perfectly fine.

3) Even though I was a dancer for so long, I grew up with four brothers, so I am a pretty tough chick!

mommylamb
11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I jumped off a bridge once (well, actually twice-- Bungy jumping).

vludmilla
11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I jumped off a bridge once (well, actually twice-- Bungy jumping).

That reminded me, I jumped out of a plane once. It was my first date with my DH (long story).

tylersmama
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Hmm, it's hard to really come up with something interesting. This is about as much as I could come up with:

1) I was the first-ever three time Williams County (Ohio) spelling bee champion. There have been a couple more since, but no four-timers!

2) I am a major triathlon addict and I LOVE racing. Since January 1, I've raced thirteen times, both tris and running races. If my knee allows (I had knee surgery two weeks ago), I want to do one or two more this year!

gatorsmom
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Hmm....12 years ago I was living in France with a frenchman named Etienne. His job transferred us to Houston, Texas, where he promptly dumped me for a big-busted, big-haired blond girl. Two weeks later I met my future Texan husband in a cigar bar named the Velvet Elvis.

I'm not sure that's surprising but that's the best I could come with.

Melaine
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm a green belt in karate and I can break a concrete brick with my hand.....

Well, that was years ago, but still I claim it as an on-going talent.

bubbaray
11-02-2008, 11:23 AM
LOL, me too! I got my license when I was 15!

See, I always thought we were twins! :)

army_mom
11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I haven't lived anywhere more than 2 years since I left my parents' house in 1996

And although I am very girlie and love pink, I am an Apache helicopter pilot.

pb&j
11-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Before I had kids, I was an airline captain.

And before that, I used to teach aerobatics. I love a good snap roll!!

MMMommy
11-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey, me too! My Dad was cleaning out his house and brought them all over here. I have no idea what to do with them. Right now they're on a bookshelf in the playroom, but they're not worth anything but sentimental value. I can't throw them out...maybe DS or DD will like them someday.

I know what you mean. I have several boxes of them that were just taking up closet space. I donated a few boxes and kept some for the girls. Hopefully they will enjoy them in time!

mommylamb
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
That reminded me, I jumped out of a plane once. It was my first date with my DH (long story).

That's a cool first date. I've gone sky diving once too, though DH would NEVER do such a thing. I have to say, I absolutely loved sky diving, but bungy jumping scared the %&$% out of me.

StantonHyde
11-02-2008, 03:47 PM
1. I bake an amazing apple pie

2. I was captain of my college rugby team

3. I worked as a nude art model all through college (at $5 an hour,, it was the highest paying job on campus!)

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
You are a bunch of amazing mamas! I feel so boring.

DH and I met on match.com when we were 35, dated for one month, were engaged for 2 months, had a big ol' regular wedding. DD was born 9.5 mos later...

I guess it is kind of surprising that I've only had 5 AFs during our 3 year marriage, and #3 will be here when we've only KNOWN each other for 49 months.

mdb78
11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Hmm....12 years ago I was living in France with a frenchman named Etienne. His job transferred us to Houston, Texas, where he promptly dumped me for a big-busted, big-haired blond girl. Two weeks later I met my future Texan husband in a cigar bar named the Velvet Elvis.

I like your happy ending. :)

trales
11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Before an injury I competed in an International figure skating competition in Finland.

I want to learn to drive a backhoe.

happy2bamom
11-02-2008, 05:17 PM

That is the coolest story! You could write a country song about it.

For me:
1) In high school my summer job was working at Sea World

2) I have a Ph.D., and would love to get other degrees but I have no interest in working outside of the home. I love to learn, but I also love being a SAHM and volunteering at church and the kids' functions. Unfortunately, neither of my passions helps to pay down my student loans :)

3) I could easily eat a whole pan of brownies in a 24 hour period if I were left alone with said pan of brownies.

ThreeofUs
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
One summer, I ran around Africa in a little turbo-prop plane with a Spanish chief of secret police. (He was simultaneously checking on his sources and trying to talk me into a one- to many-night stand - which he never got!)

Just writing that makes me shake my head in disbelief, but it's true.... Met him in a Madrid bar, we seemed to hit it off, and he asked if I'd like to go to Africa with him. I said 'seguro!' with blythe 18-year-old belief in my own immortality, and off we went.

Staraglimmer
11-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Hmmmm

Well, I'm from New Orleans, born and raised, I left the night before Katrina hit.

DH is from Alaska.

that;s about it, we are boreing!

strollerqueen
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
See, I always thought we were twins! :)

I KNOW! Sometimes I read your posts, and I think I wrote them! Freaky!

lizajane
11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
i ran a marathon on my 26th birthday.

i am so "allergic" to Ambien my dr. described my reaction on my chart as "hysteria."

i talk too much, too fast and too loud. and then later, i regret it and feel embarrassed.

i have been a whiny, complaining, exhausted mess for 4 years and am working my a$$ off right now to get out of that hole.

Fairy
11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I used to be a radio DJ.

More in common with you every day. I also used to be a radio DJ. I also used to be a television reporter. Unfortunately, I have a face for radio and a voice for TV. It's a tough, tough market out there, the media.

I've gone bungee jumping. Idiot.

I'm deathly afraid of fish, dead or alive, unless they're fileted and cooked on my plate. I can handle most parts of an aquarium, but I won't go into bodies of water if I think there may be fish in them. Made an exception in Hawaii, but it took me four days to get to a place where I could get in the water.

Corie
11-02-2008, 09:38 PM
1) I was the first-ever three time Williams County (Ohio) spelling bee champion. There have been a couple more since, but no four-timers!

Gaye,

I competed in the Williams County spelling bee. You could
have been standing next to me. :)

elizabethkott
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I can fit my fist in my mouth.

I regularly sniff my son because I love his scent so much.

I occasionally have actual murderous thoughts about a co-worker.

I really really really like hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps and whipped cream.

Happy 2B mommy
11-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I could watch 'I Love Lucy" all day and still crack up.

When I was younger, I had a freakish singing range, like nearly 5 octaves.

I know more about the history/workings of the modern toilet than anyone should. And I'm not a plumber.

MontrealMum
11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
This has been a fun thread to read. I'm sure mine aren't very exciting or daring, but here they are:

1) I am obsessed with cheese. I could exist very happily entirely on dairy products.

2) I am left-handed.

3) I have perfect pitch.

4) I am compulsively early for everything.

dcmom2b3
11-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I feel so boring . . .

I can put my hands flat together and pull my fingertips back and away from each other at the second joint. Hard to explain. This *never* fails to freak people out, and I've never met anyone else who can do it. Anyone out there my separated at birth twin? Try it!

I'm also a double recessive toungue roller: side to side and front to back. Another stupid bar trick.

kijip
11-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I refused the learn to drive until I was 24, after I became a parent and the argument for needing to drive became pretty great. Cars scare the c%$# out of me, even to this day. I must suspend my disbelief that it is safe every.single.time I get in a car. Seriously. If I never saw another car again, I would be a happier person.

I have tattoos.

I would wear my glasses even if my vision was suddenly perfect because I think I look way cuter with glasses than without.

I have never drunk a glass a milk in my entire life. I have never put more than a splash of milk on my cold cereal, merely to moisten it. I hate milk.

KpbS
11-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I feel so boring . . .

I can put my hands flat together and pull my fingertips back and away from each other at the second joint. Hard to explain. This *never* fails to freak people out, and I've never met anyone else who can do it. Anyone out there my separated at birth twin? Try it!

I'm also a double recessive toungue roller: side to side and front to back. Another stupid bar trick.

Me too! Wow!!! I can also wiggle my ears. Now all at once and I can look real attractive.... :)

citymama
11-03-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't drive. I once learned, have a license - but too nervous to try again after a fender-bender when I was pregnant. Getting to the point of pretty much phobic. Which is really starting to interfere with my quality of life - I am not sure how to fix it, but I know I need to.

I speak 4 languages reasonably well and a couple more in bits and pieces. I've traveled to every continent.

ETA: I love all the stories! gatorsmom's Etienne-Velvet Elvis story was definitely among the most memorable ones - gotta send that to Lucinda Williams to write up as a mournful ballad.

graciebellesmomma
11-03-2008, 03:27 AM
I have one brown eye and one green eye. One in ten million people have a similar "mutation".

I have blood type AB- which less than 1% of the population has. My daughter has it, as well.

My brother and I are 10 months apart and we are the same age
for all of September and all of October. My birthday is
Sept. 4 and his is October 31st.

I'm a freak, I tell ya!

ilfaith
11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I can touch my nose with my tongue! Doesn't serve much purpose, and I usually have to have a few drinks before I'll show anyone that I can do that!

I can do this too. So can my brother, my dad and my older son.

I used to perform on a sketch comedy show, and did was part of an improv group in college.

I once had an affair with a married man.

maylips
11-03-2008, 09:21 AM
1) I hate standing water in drains so much that I HATE baths. Almost phobia-point, but I try very hard to overcome it each time I give DD a bath.

2) I introduced President Clinton before he spoke once.

3) I look better with short, spiky hair than I do with long hair.

JTsMom
11-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I :love-retry: this thread. I keep trying to figure out something to add, but I'm afraid I'm pretty boring. Here are the best ones I could think of:

-I lived in Japan for 2.5 years.

-DH is 10 years older than me. We met online in a chatroom that I can not reveal. :shy: He lived in CA, I lived in FL. It took us about a month and a half to meet in person. We'd talk on the phone for hours a day, and he'd write me amazing love letters. Before we even met, he told me he loved me. To say that all of this was totally out of character for me is the understatement of the year!!! I never even dated guys I met in bars- it was always someone I knew, or who was the friend of a friend or something. My family thought I had totally lost my mind. Within the first couple of hours he was with me in person, I knew we would get married. This November is our 5th anniversary.

-We are going to Disney World for 9 days right after Thanksgiving. I am so obsesed with planning the trip, I think I'm going to need Prozac after it's over. I need an intervention. In the entire time since DH and I were married, we've never had a "real" vacation. Every time he took vacation time from work, it was for a funeral, hospitilization, or a move. The fact that we're still able to go after the layoff situation makes me so happy that I tear up every time I think about it.

trales
11-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I have never drunk a glass a milk in my entire life. I have never put more than a splash of milk on my cold cereal, merely to moisten it. I hate milk.

This is so me. I hate milk. I actually gag a bit when I see other people drink it.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
-We are going to Disney World for 9 days right after Thanksgiving. I am so obsesed with planning the trip, I think I'm going to need Prozac after it's over. I need an intervention.

Do you have a thread in the Disney forum? I don't wanna hijack, so I'll go look there. We just did this in September, and boy do I have some opinions! Loved it so much.

I cried on the Peter Pan ride. The nostalgia overwhelmed me.

Do the Disney Dining Plan.

I said I"m not hijacking, right? Right.

KHF
11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm deathly afraid of fish, dead or alive, unless they're fileted and cooked on my plate. I can handle most parts of an aquarium, but I won't go into bodies of water if I think there may be fish in them.

:yeahthat: Chlorinated pool water for me only. No swimming/wading in natural water for me.

Also:
I have four kidneys. The doc that did my last c-section thought that was pretty cool.

I have a condition called retinitis pigmentosa. It almost always causes complete blindness in both eyes. I'm lucky enough to only have it in one. I had to go to University of Kentucky Med Center to get it diagnosed by one of the foremost experts in the field. He had never actually seen it in only one eye. Only heard that it might be possible. I was seen by every eye doc and med student in the med center. Just call me a medical freak show.

I met Fonzie (Henry Winkler) when I was 12. My uncle was his financial advisor.

I have a tattoo of Pepe LePew.

I met DH through Yahoo Personals. We've been together 7 years, married for 5 years in December.

karolyp
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm legally blind.

I climbed a glacier in Norway

I've been to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and the Dead Sea

I've flown onboard (as a passenger) the USS Kennedy, therefore I am a honorary tailhooker ;)

and I've stood on one of the space shuttle launch pads, next to the shuttle.

brittone2
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmmm...I can't think of much today but I'll try.

I owned a horse when I was growing up. I did the whole horse show thing, etc.

I was a state medalist in cross country while in high school. Now, I'm lazy and don't work out much at all.

I am far less vocal about my opinions IRL Unless I know someone really well IRL, in general, I'm pretty reserved with my opinions. On here, i have a big mouth LOL.

I have plastic in my house ;)

DH came face to face with a fugitive murderer being hunted in our old hometown (for a domestic murder). The guy hid at our school under the high jump mats, where DH's truck was parked, waiting for baseball practice to start. DH flew into reverse and called the police. They never ended up catching the man but he committed suicide. (this was all when were still in high school). Our small town had lots of weird things happen in general, and we had a ridiculous number of fellow students die from car crashes, suicides, freak accidents, etc. Honestly, it was quite weird and my college friends always thought it was insane considering how small our little hometown was.

tylersmama
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Gaye,

I competed in the Williams County spelling bee. You could
have been standing next to me. :)Ha! Maybe, Corie! :D I was trying to figure out what years it was...it was my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade years, which I think would have been '88, '89, and '90.

Carrots
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I am afraid of horses, although I have gone riding before.... but never again.

I ran across a stage and crowd surfed at a concert when I was in my "wild and crazy" phase in college.

I intensely dislike tomatoes, kiwi, and banannas. I think it is a texture thing.

I met Tom Brokaw. (My cousin used to write for him)

I am a closet Howard Stern fan. (no flames, please)

trentsmom
11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm in the DAR.

I used to be able to roll my belly like a belly dancer. Haven't tried to do that in years!

Bright light makes me sneeze.

lovin2shop
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Ohh, I loved the Velvet Elvis. Spent way too much time there in my 20's.

elektra
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty boring! Nothing too exciting, but...

1) Before an injury in college that ended my dancing days, I was a dancer for 15 years- ballet and contemporary. I danced at the Kennedy Center once, not on the "big stage", but it was still pretty exciting. I taught beginner ballet when I was in high school, which was really fun. All the dancing shows that are on these days really have me missing it, so my goal is to get my body back in shape after #3 and take some adult classes.

LOVE ballet. I took a few years as a kid and then got into sports but I really wish I would have stuck with it. I need to get back into the adult classes I was taking when I got pregnant with DD.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
... Our small town had lots of weird things happen in general, and we had a ridiculous number of fellow students die from car crashes, suicides, freak accidents, etc. Honestly, it was quite weird and my college friends always thought it was insane considering how small our little hometown was.

Is it possible that you were raised in Sunnydale? Nevermind.

brittone2
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

ROFL. No, but it is really weird looking back on how many odd things happened in our little town, kwim? I no longer live there, but looking back, it was a tad freaky.

elektra
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
1) I got a full scholarship to UCLA to play softball, and then subsequently lived out the movie "A League of Thier Own" playing professionally after college.
2)I love to live vicariously through my brother who is a sports agent a la Jerry Maguire. He has traveled the world, met umpteen celebrities and athletes, and lives a total Hollywood lifestyle. He is returning today from Germany after spending a month there because he has fallen in love with a German girl who he met in Thailand. (I am his grounded, suburban sister, married with 1.25 kids, that I'm sure is interesting to some of his friends.)
3) I am taller than my husband.
4) I attended Dustin Hoffman's son's bar mitzvah and I danced with Dustin, including a hip bump. ;)
5)I secretely wish I was a ballerina in the NYC Ballet, or ABT.
6)Elektra is actually one of my Whippets' names.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm dumb. What's a Whippet?

Whippit Good?

elektra
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
What's a Whippet?

;)
It's a kind of a dog. It's like a smaller greyhound. And yes, many people name their Whippets "Devo".

mommylamb
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
:hysterical: My all time favorite!

cdlamis
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Fun thread!

I am not too interesting (esp after reading all the other posts).

*I had 3 sets of teeth (for most of my teeth). My dentist thought it was so wacky that he kept my xrays for years. DD's current dentist thinks it could be hereditary and is watching my DDs for signs of "shark teeth syndrome". :D

* I have dual citizenship (Brazil and U.S) even though I was born here and my dad is American. My mom is Brazilian and thought it was a good idea and much easier to have dual passports.

*I used to eat peach baby food in high school- it was so yummy! My mom used to make me go down the baby isle by myself if I wanted to put it in the grocery cart.

aa2mama
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Oh fun, I'll play. I wish mine were more exotic but here goes:

-I was homeschooled through 4th grade.

-I went to a boarding school in high school that operated a dairy. This school has since closed. DH's high school has since been blown over by a tornado.

-DH is an identical twin. I have had acquaintances tell me that they saw DH with another woman when in fact it was BIL and his wife!

-I have had a pop bottle bomb waved in my face and had no idea what it was. Fortunately it didn't go off!

clc053103
11-03-2008, 02:33 PM
This has been FASCINATING!!! I mean, 4 kidneys! Hip bumping with Dustin Hoffman! It's making me realize I live a boring life.

But here goes...

My husband picked me up at the gym. I wasn't the first woman he picked up there. He wasn't the first guy who picked me up there either. ;-)

I love to read. I even read at the gym, on equiptment. Sometimes I'll pretend to stretch on the mats with a book in front of me just to get in a few extra pages before I have to claim DS from the nursery. I read 2-4 books a week.

I am addicted to "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team". I DVR it. I wish I could look half as good as those women in hot pants (but I can't - because I'm too busy picking up husbands and reading at the gym to get in a good workout, per above).

I could eat ice cream every day of my life- and well, I usually do.

I am deathly afraid of snakes. Even the little garden kind.

I don't think I've ever met another BBB'er in real life.

strollerqueen
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
More in common with you every day. I also used to be a radio DJ. I also used to be a television reporter.

Ooo me too! Former TV reporter/anchor. I have also been in lots of gun battles, and have never been hit. I was just trying to count how many...a couple of drive-bys--both in a car and in a house, a supermarket hold-up, a jail break, a skirmish with the ETA in Pamplona, (yeah I ran with the bulls there too, lol!) a shoot-out by Moslem militants in a McDonald's in Istanbul, a few gun battles with the Kurds in the east of Turkey, oh, and not exactly a gun battle, but a guy tried to car-jack me in Hollywood. It was surreal. I was so busy wondering how a young, nice-looking man got to that point in his life, that I didn't stop. So he walked right up to my windshield, looked me dead in the face, and pulled the trigger. I have to say that was the worst. Because the others weren't directed at me; I just happened to be there. Anyway, his gun didn't fire, for some reason. My guardian angels are really working overtime!

elektra
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
So he walked right up to my windshield, looked me dead in the face, and pulled the trigger. I have to say that was the worst. Because the others weren't directed at me; I just happened to be there. Anyway, his gun didn't fire, for some reason. My guardian angels are really working overtime!

Holy crap!

Oh and the closest I have ever come to TV reporting was doing color commentary for softball games on the radio and online. I was horrible.

maylips
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Ooo me too! Former TV reporter/anchor. I have also been in lots of gun battles, and have never been hit. I was just trying to count how many...a couple of drive-bys--both in a car and in a house, a supermarket hold-up, a jail break, a skirmish with the ETA in Pamplona, (yeah I ran with the bulls there too, lol!) a shoot-out by Moslem militants in a McDonald's in Istanbul, a few gun battles with the Kurds in the east of Turkey, oh, and not exactly a gun battle, but a guy tried to car-jack me in Hollywood. It was surreal. I was so busy wondering how a young, nice-looking man got to that point in his life, that I didn't stop. So he walked right up to my windshield, looked me dead in the face, and pulled the trigger. I have to say that was the worst. Because the others weren't directed at me; I just happened to be there. Anyway, his gun didn't fire, for some reason. My guardian angels are really working overtime!

Okay, Strollerqueen wins.

This post is fascinating! Elektra, always wondered where your "name" came from...

strollerqueen
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Holy crap!

Oh and the closest I have ever come to TV reporting was doing color commentary for softball games on the radio and online. I was horrible.

Yeah, I was right down the street from my station. When I got to work, I was pretty shaken. I told everyone what had happened. And my boss was like, "yeah, I'm sorry, that's terrible, now get to work." TV is brutal.

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM

ITA!!! And I will never take part in one of these threads again...unless I have something really cool and different happen to me (not that I want to get shot at!). Man, I'm a boring loser!!! :)

strollerqueen
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Oh, I don't know about that. There's some pretty odd tales here!

graciebellesmomma
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I forgot. I have dual citizenship, as well. From Ireland.
Dad was born there and moved to US when he was 17.

We traveled to Ireland two years ago and I got my Irish Passport!

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
My brother and I are 10 months apart and we are the same age
for all of September and all of October. My birthday is
Sept. 4 and his is October 31st.

DH and his sister, too- 10 months apart. They're Sept. 11 and Oct. 20. They graduated in the same class, so everyone always assumed they were twins.

lmintzer
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I was on "Good Morning America" 2 days before Jack was born. We were living in L.A. at the time, and the research study I was coordinating (on the relationship between laughter/humor and pain control) was being filmed. I knew I was cutting it close, but I didn't realize how close!

Not too much else--I went to grade school with Bruce Springstein's niece (by marriage).

ThreeofUs
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM

HANDS DOWN. OMG.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh, I don't know about that. There's some pretty odd tales here!

From the media and journalism standpoint. Dude. Yeah, you totally win.

strollerqueen
11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
No, no, I wasn't trying to, really! Just when you said you were a reporter, I was wondering if you had been in any gun battles. I guess I didn't think they were all *that* unusual. Until I saw it written down, then I thought, uh oh...

momtoonegirl
11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty boring too, but here goes..

1. I was a customer in a bank when there was an attempted armed robbery (I still am a little unsettled when I have to go inside of the bank to conduct business vs. ATM or drive-thru).

2. I'm a pretty shy person IRL.

3. I met Shawn and Marlon Wayans when I was checking in at the airport a few years ago.

Carrots
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Ooo me too! Former TV reporter/anchor. I have also been in lots of gun battles, and have never been hit.

Yes. You totally win! :bowdown: :wink2:
I am SO boring!!

lizajane
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Whippit Good?

wh, wh, wh, whip it real good.

(ROFLMAO)

niccig
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
wh, wh, wh, whip it real good.

(ROFLMAO)

LOL You're too funny....

DH and I met traveling on a bus from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Our first real "date" was eating Yak meat pies. We both were on round the world trips, and after we met we traveled together for a few months. In Ireland on the Dingle Peninsula there was an old church ruins and local legend said if you climbed through the window you would be married in a year and a day. He climbed through first and then waited for me, I laughingly refused. He then "made" me climb through. We were married 1 year and 3 days later.

I'll have my USA citizenship by the end of the month. I'm bummed I missed the election tomorrow.

Fairy
11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I love this thread!

Sorry, 'Queen, never been in a gun battle. Nor have I ever been in the vicinity of a bank hold up. Apparently, I'm due!

This is hysterical, people. More, more, more!!

Piglet
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Add me to the boring crew.

1. I have Wayne Gretzky's autograph somewhere in my house (I used to be an usher for the Calgary Flames and we were expressly forbidden from asking for players autographs, but I couldn't resist).
2. DH and I are high school sweethearts. We dated for 6 years and have been married for 9. We are 30 so we have been together for half our lives.
3. I was born in Moscow, Russia and moved to Canada when I was 4.
4. This is the first time in my life that I am living away from my parents (and I miss them like crazy and because of that we will be going back home after our year in Texas is done).

crayonblue
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I can't really think of anything really outrageous. Guess I am mostly boring!

DH is the only person I have ever kissed. :)

I have a child who has a disease that has 10 documented cases worldwide in history.

npace19147
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Lana, I think everything you have done for Carmen puts you far, far from the boring category!

I have a condition called uterus didelphys. It means I have two separate uteruses. I also have two separate cervixes and have two pap smears at a time (fun!)

and to make it even odder, I carried one child in the left uterus, and the other in my right. (can't remember which was which though!)

Twoboos
11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm struggling here. Some about me, some about my family...

- I was the anchor for my college tv news program (Strollerqueen, you make me happy my tv career ended there!)
- I was on MTV once - news segment, nothing fun!
- I can eat. A lot. Even though I am pretty petite. I scare my 6ft4in 350lb cousins. And my daughters inherited my hollow leg!
- I have a pic of me and Alec Baldwin circa 1994
- My mom blew up a gas station at the center of my town
- My brother was blessed by the Pope

Cam&Clay
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I thought my tongue/nose touching was worthwhile, but, boy, was I wrong...here's more...

I was once a "spokesmodel" for some plumbing equipment at trade shows. And, no, I didn't wear a bikini and lounge overtop of it!

DH and I were high school sweethearts. We broke up during our freshman year of college. He contacted me two years ago just to say hi when he was deployed to Iraq. I was divorced and (fast forward), we married exactly 20 years from the date we started dating the first time in high school. In 2007, we got engaged, bought a house, got married, got pregnant, had a baby, and he was deployed (again) for six of those months. Needless to say, we were quite the hit at our 20 year high school reunion. :hug:

Susan
DS1 age 10 years
DS2 age 10 months
**Yes, I am clinically insane.

misshollygolightly
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
This thread is AWEsome. And I am boring :shrug: But in the interest of getting to know people a little better, here goes:
1. I can speak and write Chinese and Irish
2. My parents are humanitarian workers currently living in the Middle East
3. I met my husband at a Ben Folds concert
4. I collect records, because some things just sound better on vinyl
5. I have a miniature schnauzer named Annabelle Lee

Tammy
11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow you guys- I feel pretty boring, but I love this thread! :)
Let's see- I was named after Tammy Wynette.

DH and I were together for 10 years before we got married on a cruise ship.

My DD was born (and due) on the same day my mom was due with me.

DrSally
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Ok, I finally thought of a few things after reading all of your amazing posts.

1. DH and I have also been together for 1/2 of our lives (since we were 18), married at 25.

2. I was robbed by knifepoint when I was working at a convenience store in highschool. Before that, I was pretty high-strung about grades and things like that, and I just decided that nothing was worth getting worked up about unless it was life or death. That has helped me keep a "zen" attitude and not get stressed out about a lot of "little" things.

3. I was approached by an Aveda scout in a mall when I was 16yo to be a model. I went downtown and had no idea what I was getting into--I thought I was going to get a free haircut. I showed up in a white t-shirt and shorts and no makeup. There were real models with portfolios there. The scout personally greeted me and said she was so glad I came. I was so intimidated, I definitely do not like the spotlight, it was so uncomfortable. They called me to come back and I deferred and they got mad at me!

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm struggling here. Some about me, some about my family...

- My mom blew up a gas station at the center of my town

Ok, was this on purpose??

Beth

Pennylane
11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Here goes :

I learned to drive a "stick" shift truck when I was 8.

I have kissed 3 famous people.

I never go anywhere, ever, without a book. Total nerd!

Ann

Emmas Mom
11-03-2008, 11:14 PM

Whippit Good?

Thanks Fairy! Now I can't get Devo out of my head! Duh nuh nuh nuh nuh...Duh...Duh....Crack that whip! :p

I used to eat peach baby food in high school

So uh....what's wrong with eating it as an adult? I'll admit I uh...shared with my girls when they were babies. Hey! It's dang good stuff. And, you know, it has like vitamin C in it. ;)

oh, and not exactly a gun battle, but a guy tried to car-jack me in Hollywood. It was surreal. I was so busy wondering how a young, nice-looking man got to that point in his life, that I didn't stop. So he walked right up to my windshield, looked me dead in the face, and pulled the trigger. I have to say that was the worst. Because the others weren't directed at me; I just happened to be there. Anyway, his gun didn't fire, for some reason. My guardian angels are really working overtime!

:47: Holy cow.

My mom blew up a gas station at the center of my town

Please do tell how that happened!

I have kissed 3 famous people.

Oh come on now....NAMES!!!

This thread is great. We have some VERY cool people on this board. :jammin:

MontrealMum
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I'm still feeling quite tame as I have had no exotic foreign lover experiences (besides DH, eh), and I have no sniper fire experience, and no out-of-the-ordinary body parts...well, I'm double-jointed, but that's not that uncommon.

Here is what I can add:
-I fired a gun at the police academy when I was 12 as part of summer "detective school"
-I went to highschool with Gillian Anderson
-My eye doctor is Jerry Ford's brother
-my dad dated Jimmy Hoffa's daughter in college

Twoboos
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Ok, was this on purpose??

Beth

Seriously, this story reveals me to anyone who knows me!!

In short, my mom was at a full serve gas station, the schmuck pumping took her money and said, "have a nice day" and she drove off. Not knowing the nozzle was still in the car, which pulled over the entire pump, causing huge fireball as she's driving along clueless. She didn't get far as people were running and screaming and taking cover and the auto-fire control stuff started spraying so it looked like it was snowing suddenly... It is amazing no one was hurt.

This was on thanksgiving eve during my jr year in high school. By the time Monday rolled around, there was all kinds of gossip about the crazy lady who tried to hold up the gas station and knocked over the pump on purpose! :ROTFLMAO:

Oh, and then months later she got a call that Mobil was suing HER b/c SHE left the nozzle in the car... that didn't get far. Turns out the pump was not bolted into the ground and could have tipped just by someone leaning on it.

Your PSA of the day: Proceed with caution at full serve, people!!! ;)

ETA: Pennylane, SPILL IT!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I am another boring one.

-I was in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in high school (dance line). It was really cold and we had to rehearse at 3am then wait till about 9-10am before we could start marching.
-Dh and I are high school sweethearts though we didn't start dating till the last month of my senior year (I'm a year older). I worked for almost that entire year to get him though.
-I keep managing to get on the local news this year for doing really mundane things. I hate it. I feel like a bumbling moron because I can never figure out where to look or what to say.
-I would love to be a Senator...if only I didn't have to shmooze to do that. I could do that if I had too because I am good at it. I just hate it. Of course, I'd also have no problem with being an exotic dancer if it weren't for the creepy audience. I would never do it but I'd be comfortable doing it. I am not sure what it says about me that I have these thoughts.

Beth

elektra
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Loving this thread too. I think this is my 4th post here or something. I thought of more though!
1)Someone in DH's family has worked at Disneyland ever since it opened. So 3 generations so far, starting with his grandmother working as a maid in the Disneyland hotel, his mom, aunt, brother, sister, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law. 2 of his siblings met their spouses there, and his one brother still works there.
We can all get in for free anytime which is kinda cool.

2)Right after college, I actually met my major childhood crush- Ricky Schroeder.

3) I haven't traveled the world as much as I would have liked but I have been to 23 of the 50 US states (not counting any airport layovers).

I think that post about the 2 uteruses that have both carried children is up there with strollerqueen's gun stories!

avd3875
11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm having a great time reading all of these. I feel pretty boring, but here's what I've got...

*I'm trying to be less of a BBB stalker and more of a contributer (which lead to this posting)

*I met DH when we both worked at FAO Schwarz. I was the doll girl, he was the Lego guy. Our wedding cake had Madame Alexander dolls and Lego people on it.

*While working at FAO I met Kevin Bacon. I sold him a doll, tried to sell him the Kevin Bacon game, but he said he didn't need it. I spent the following week announcing to the world that I was "one degree of Kevin Bacon".

*We live nextdoor to my parents. (Has pros and cons)

*When DD arrives in March, DS will be 5 years, 4 months. This is the exact same age difference between my brother and me. This is just by chance. Even more odd is that my brother's bday is in November, just like DS, and mine is in March, just like DD's will be.

MamaMolly
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey! I can do that too! Gimmie a few drinks and I do a killer Tina Turner version of Rollin' on the River!

PSA of the day, don't ask your DH to help you with answering this question. You might not like the answers.

You guys have inspired me! I thought of a few more.
I can also do the weird finger bendy thing, plus I can hold my fingers straight out and one at a time bend down only the first joint.

Ditto on the rolling the tongue thing left, right and center. And the belly dancer belly, too. When I was little my I showed my mom and she told me to never ever do it again, though :( After DD I'm still too chubby to actually see the roll in the lower abdomen, but the muscles are there!

I met Prince Charles (I was all of 7 at the time. I'm sure it was memorable for him, too LOL!)

I'm a really, really good shot. I grew up shooting, reloading making bullets, you name it. DH was really REALLY surprised the first time he saw me shoot.

I detest loathe and despise wooden sticks in food. Like corndog sticks, popsicle sticks, anything on a stick. The thought makes me gag and shudder.

JamiMac
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
This thread has made me really reflect too. This has been fun!

*My DH and I met in a bar in college when I had just turned 21 and was fairly new to the "bar scene". He asked if he could buy me a drink and I said "yes, thanks" and tried to hand him $3. :ROTFLMAO:We've been together for 13 years now and he's the LOVE of my life and it's been fun to grow up together and see what we've accomplished.

*DH and I climbed the La Luz trail in New Mexico in a pretty record time.

*I had a 240 pound Saint Bernard. He was the biggest dog I have ever seen and several vets said the same thing. Unfortunately he only lived until 5 years old.

*We've traveled extensively with our kids around the U.S. and a little to Mexico and Canada. I'm thinking of starting a blog to record our travels and give travel tips, but I'm not sure anyone else would be interested!

I'm know there is more that I'll think of later. :)

Fairy
11-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Pennylane, time to spill, dear. SPILL IT. How 'bout sounds like?

Look, i'll make you a deal. It is no secret that I'm the Star Trek freak of the board; I've met them all, nearly. I will tell you who the jerks are if you tell us who you kissed.

Waitin' ...:boogie:

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
OK, this is my last post here and I'm going to get to work now, I swear it...this is so fun!

I bumped into Anthony Kiedis in the lingerie section of the Marshall Field's back home and I can say 1) he's very polite 2) he was shopping with his mom :) I didn't have a clue it was him until DH told me.

I grew up on the same block as the non-singing side of the DeBarge family.

ETA: this is for Fairy...my MIL had an English class in university with William Shatner, and she went to Christopher Plummer's birthday party as a child, they lived in the same neighborhood.

Emmas Mom
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I went to highschool with Gillian Anderson

Very cool. I am still a huge X-Files fan.

I'd also have no problem with being an exotic dancer if it weren't for the creepy audience. I would never do it but I'd be comfortable doing it. I am not sure what it says about me that I have these thoughts.

Beth you are hillarious! In a good way of course. ;)

I think that post about the 2 uteruses that have both carried children is up there with strollerqueen's gun stories!

That & Daniella with the THREE sets of teeth! lol :hug:

Alright I thought of a couple more things:

1. I am almost five years older than my DH.
2. I worked at Disneyland for about six years. Loved it, hated the hours. I am a "hasbeen" if anyone knows what that means...but I think I owe my dues.
3. I met Richard Dean Anderson & Amanda Tapping & have a picture with them to prove it. :D It was during a fantastic & basically free week in England. Almost two years ago...that was a great trip.
4. I went to Toronto twice for fan conventions of the USA series La Femme Nikita. I still keep in touch with some friends from that show...we all met originally online. One of those friends was the one who offered me the *free* week in England (she's a sweetheart).

purpleeyes
11-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Took me 2 days to think of these:

1. I have never had anything 'wrong' with my teeth. No cavities, no nothing! Hence, I am crazy scared of the dentist now! (Orthedontics, now that's another matter entirely! ;) )

2. I have been in love with Henry Rollins since I was 16.

3. I met BONO the day before my 30th birthday. Best. Birthday. Ever.

Pennylane
11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Pennylane, time to spill, dear. SPILL IT. How 'bout sounds like?

Look, i'll make you a deal. It is no secret that I'm the Star Trek freak of the board; I've met them all, nearly. I will tell you who the jerks are if you tell us who you kissed.

Waitin' ...:boogie:

They aren't that exciting, but they are all famous :

Jack Blades (Night Ranger, total hottie, met him at the beach)

Sting , the wrestler not the singer. He was pretty handsome without all the makeup!

The 3rd is a baseball player for the Milwaukee Brewers. He was moved up to the majors after we had dated for a few weeks.

Your turn Fairy, spill the dirt!

Ann

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I thought of 2 more, but they probably will just add to my pathetic standing in this thread. LOL

-I met Jane Goodall, and was totally starstruck and teary-eyed. I was a psych major at the time, and thought she was amazing. She hugged me, and gave me an autographed picture. She talked to me for quite a while, but I can't remember one word of the conversation.

I was working my way through college waiting tables at Rainforest Cafe, and she came in to check out our gorillas and pose for pics. We were expressly forbidden to bother any of the famous people who came in, (there were a lot, but she was the only one I was excited about) but my boss risked his job, told her I was a huge fan, and set up the meeting. He was an awesome guy. :love-retry:

-My name is in a peer-reviewed psych journal as part of the lab group that did research on bilingual language development. It's not in English, and I've never seen the actual journal, but it's there. LOL I really had almost nothing to do with that research (I was working on an Alzheimer's project) but my professor listed every single one of us b/c she considered us all a part of it.

DrSally
11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
-My name is in a peer-reviewed psych journal as part of the lab group that did research on bilingual language development. It's not in English, and I've never seen the actual journal, but it's there. LOL I really had almost nothing to do with that research (I was working on an Alzheimer's project) but my professor listed every single one of us b/c she considered us all a part of it.

That was very nice of your professor, not everyone does that.
Made me think...I a peer reviewed journal article and book chapter on my vita.

KHF
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I detest loathe and despise wooden sticks in food. Like corndog sticks, popsicle sticks, anything on a stick. The thought makes me gag and shudder.

OMG Molly, I thought for sure I was the only one who had this phobia!!! I hate them too! I pull corn dogs off the stick and will cut up popsicles into a bowl!

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
That was very nice of your professor, not everyone does that.
Made me think...I a peer reviewed journal article and book chapter on my vita.

She was the best. :love-retry: She was one of those people that seemed to know everything in the world, but wasn't the least bit arrogant about it, and would explain anything you wanted to know with the patience of a saint. It was truly an honor to be a part of her lab.

caleymama
11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
-I met Jane Goodall, and was totally starstruck and teary-eyed. I was a psych major at the time, and thought she was amazing. She hugged me, and gave me an autographed picture. She talked to me for quite a while, but I can't remember one word of the conversation.

That's really neat! Not your typical celeb sighting.

I have been thinking for days about this thread and haven't been able to come up with much. I've had a great time reading about everyone, though!

- I was a lobster cook at a restaurant on the Cape for one summer during college
- I've met & rec'd autographs from Geraldine Ferraro and Pat Buchanan at the same event. They debated one another at a nearby college when I was in college
- I've helped to butcher deer and wild turkey
- I have weirdly jointed elbows (not sure exactly what the deal is) and they hyper extend enough to totally gross people out, DH especially

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 10:41 AM
- I have weirdly jointed elbows (not sure exactly what the deal is) and they hyper extend enough to totally gross people out, DH especially

Me too! My knees do it also.

trales
11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
I have come up with a couple more . . .

I sailed through Hurricane Mitch on my way towards Venuzuala in 1998.

I hade my campsite invaded by an angry momma bear in the Adirondacks.

DH and I build wooden boats in our basement, our next boat will be the one we use for retirement to sail around the world.

I always wanted to be an exotic dancer or a capenter.

I am never without a book.

misshollygolightly
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Ooh! The exotic dancer thing reminded me of one more! I have worked as a nude art model, which is totally out of character for me, but was actually really fun and liberating! I only started doing it last winter, after I was visibly pregnant, but now there's an awesome life-sized body cast sculpture of my 8-month pregnant self in the university art building.

crayonblue
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Lana, I think everything you have done for Carmen puts you far, far from the boring category!

I have a condition called uterus didelphys. It means I have two separate uteruses. I also have two separate cervixes and have two pap smears at a time (fun!)

and to make it even odder, I carried one child in the left uterus, and the other in my right. (can't remember which was which though!)

Thank you Nancy. :)

AngelaS
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I've been in 45 of 50 states, but the only foreign country I've been to is Mexico (does it count? LOL).

My dh gave me a gun for our 7th wedding anniversary. I've never shot it.

My dad shot a guy once.

Bens Momma
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
This is such a fun thread. I KNEW this board was full of amazing people, but now I'm even more impressed, LOL!!! Here are mine:

1. I had Reye's Syndrome when I was 6 and was in a coma for 8 days. This
was back in the mid-70's when not much was known about it. Despite the
docs giving my parents a grim outlook, I came out of it and have no
lingering effects (depending on who you ask ;)!)

2. I wrote Ronald Reagan a letter when I was in third grade. I actually got a
response and have a personal letter signed by him!

3. DH was my high school sweetheart. We went to separte colleges and
married after dating for 7 years! While any marriage takes effort, I think
I'm very lucky that he's my DH and I sometimes still get butterflies when
he kisses me!

4. Lenny Kravitz tried to pick me up in a bar when I was in college. It was
kind of a famous hangout and he had several shows in the area at that
time.

5. I'm a closet gossip mag fan

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

citymama
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
4. Lenny Kravitz tried to pick me up in a bar when I was in college. It was
kind of a famous hangout and he had several shows in the area at that
time.

Oooh, cool. Love Lenny.

4 kidneys? 2 sets of teeth? 2 uteruses? Carjackings? Nude models? Wow, we are an exciting and unusual bunch of women!

This thread is awesome!

Fairy
11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
5. I'm a closet gossip mag fan

www.thesuperficial.com

graciebellesmomma
11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
back for more!

~I had a phone "relationship" with sam rockwell. met his best friend, the actor who played donatello in TMNT and had a little fling with him.

~sat at a table at house of blues with penny marshall and a couple of big directors at a celebrity house of blues benefit starring sheryl crow. at the end of the night i was telling penny how to get fitted for a bra. i used to be a rep for calvin klein/warners. it was hilarious and embarrassing talking boobs to laverne.

~i accidentally left a crank phone call for quentin tarantino. i was waiting for my friend to be done working and the intern and i decided to call quentin's house to hear his answering machine. we knew that he was in japan. so we did. we thought that we'd hung up and proceeded to talk about him until we heard the most horrific words ever. "you have 15 seconds to finish your message" message???? oh ****. we had to have our friend call his assistant and go over to his house and erase the message. nobody found it as funny as i did. hollywood can be so serious!

~my son auditioned for the role of matilda's brother for the movie version. he was too "normal" looking. they wanted someone cartoon-y. it was fun and we got to ride in a limo and had a free trip to disney.

~i lived in maui for the past 1.5 years and saw celebs everywhere we went.
my husband started calling me a celeb magnet. matthew perry, helen hunt, nicole richie, denise richards are a few that i saw. helen hunt bought the last webkinz just as we walked in the store to buy one for our daughter! our daughters played in the store together for a while.

Bens Momma
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Wanted to add another....

6. I've always wanted to be an FBI agent. Looked into the application/qualification process. Became a teacher instead!:ROTFLMAO:

happy2bamom
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a condiment phobia. It isn't just that I won't eat them, I can't even smell them without hyperventilating. Mayo is THE biggest offender, then relish, ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc.

Consequently, my kids don't eat condiments either. Oh, and if DH eats condiments, I can not be in the same room with him and I can't kiss him anymore that day (even though I make him brush and floss after eating)

JTsMom
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I have a condiment phobia. It isn't just that I won't eat them, I can't even smell them without hyperventilating. Mayo is THE biggest offender, then relish, ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc.

Consequently, my kids don't eat condiments either. Oh, and if DH eats condiments, I can not be in the same room with him and I can't kiss him anymore that day (even though I make him brush and floss after eating)

OMG, me too!!!!! I thought I was the only freak on the planet with that!!! Try working in food service with condiment phobia- aaaaack! My order is different though- pickles are the worst for me, and olives are up there too. But- I have no problems with Ranch dresssing or BBQ sauce. I'm disturbed, I know. LOL

Globetrotter
11-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Fun thread! Some of you lead quite adventurous lives :D The FAO Swartz love story is adorable.

1. This is quite embarrassing, but I cry at all awards shows, reality shows and sporting events when the winner is announced, esp. if there is a sappy story behind it :loveeyes: . This includes the Olympics, school awards, graduation ceremonies, American Idol, Amazing Race, Academy Awards... you name it. And yes, I cry at weddings if I am close to the couple. I am going to be a mess if Obama wins, esp. given the fact that he is biracial and has overcome enormous odds, but it'll be worth it :crying: Bring on the Kleenex!

2. Once we were in downtown LA and a guy was shot (driveby) on the ground floor of the building while we were upstairs. We came down and saw him on the floor, just like on TV. It could have been us because we were upstairs for only half an hour or so looking at jewelry. That was my first and only time in downtown LA :eek:

3. In my last full time job, I used to spend time in impoverished areas where there are no stores, boarded up buildings, etc... I had to drive around all over the place, by myself, in neighborhoods with obvious drug dealers and the like. On my first day on the job, my boss asked me if I had a Club to lock my steering wheel!

Kris

elephantmeg
11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
you know, I thought I was unusual, and am by my town's standards-but nothing like ya'll. I was born in Africa but don't have citizenship (I'm a US citizen, not a Zaire or DR Congo or whatever it is today). We were evacuated when I was 11 and we were taken to the ambasaor's house by armed guarded vehicles. The ambasador took my bro's handcuffs (a prized possession from my uncle the army guy)-she (yes she-Melissa Wells) was going to handcuff Mobutu with them. Too bad she never did. Her husband was evacuated with us. Did you know that there is an airline that all they do is evacuate people? I think it was Evergreen. They had just rescued some people from some Pacific island from a tidle wave or something.

pinkmomagain
11-05-2008, 01:10 AM
OK, I finally came up with something mildly interesting....

All three of my children were born on holidays: My first on Labor Day, my second on Memorial Day, and my last on Yom Kipur.

Oh, also, my sister and I were married on the same weekend...she on Thursday night and me on Saturday night.

salsah
11-05-2008, 01:16 AM
1. This is quite embarrassing, but I cry at all awards shows, reality shows and sporting events when the winner is announced, esp. if there is a sappy story behind it :loveeyes: . This includes the Olympics, school awards, graduation ceremonies, American Idol, Amazing Race, Academy Awards... you name it. And yes, I cry at weddings if I am close to the couple. I am going to be a mess if Obama wins, esp. given the fact that he is biracial and has overcome enormous odds, but it'll be worth it :crying: Bring on the Kleenex!

i do too. i might even cry at a wedding for people i don't even know. if i just see someone cry, i cry too.
and yes, i cried when i heard that obama won -- tears of joy of course. and dh, the eternal pessimist, had to ruin the moment by pointing out that obama's victory is only projected, not official yet.

gatorsmom
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I realize we are all probably tired of this thread but i just thought of another thing.

12 years ago when I was living in France with Etienne (can you say oo la la), we were walking down the Champs Elysee in Paris and a crowd started to form on the sidewalk. We decided to stop and wait to see what was happening and ended up getting trapped in the crowd. Some officials were putting up barriers to form a walk- way up to a building and we were right up against the barriers. If we had looked up at the building we would have seen that it was opening night of the movie, "Entretien avec le Vampire." Anyone want to guess who came to the opening night? The movie was Interview with the Vampire and Tom Cruise came. He walked up the opposite side of the barrier shaking hands and was almost near the entrance when I decided to start yelling in English, "Hey! can I please have your autograph?" Since mine was the only voice in English, maybe that's why he did what he did. He turned around, looked at me and grinned, and walked the 15 feet back to where I was to sign an autograph for me (which I have since lost). After he left, some french lady next to me kind of elbowed me and said to me in french, Did you see that? He came back expressly for you!" I was on cloud 9 for 3 days.