PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Cookie Recipe Needed!

beansprout13
11-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm going to a Cookie Swap this week (yes, a bit early, but it is the only time we can all get together). I can't figure out a cookie to make so I'm turning here for some help in finding a good recipe!

My only requirement is that it can't have any nuts or peanut butter in it (DS1 is allergic)... So does anyone here have any good suggestions??? :D

TIA!

fauve01
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
i always make shortbread and fudge at the holidays to give away. Both recipes are SUPER EASY and get RAVES every time.

Shortbread
1 pound butter (i use salted because that is what i have, but unsalted is fine i'm sure)
1.5 cups sugar
4.24 cups flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix with electric mixer, slightly softened butter and sugar. Gradually add in flour. Dough will be stiff and crumbly. Press into ungreased 9x13 inch pan. Prick top all over with fork. Bake at 325 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, til golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cut into squares while warm.

Fudge recipe is on the Marshmallow Fluff jar. ;-)

HTH!
anne

LarsMal
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
If any of these sound good to you let me know and I'll post the recipes (feeling a bit lazy right now!).

low-fat oatmeal cookie w/butterscotch chips (really really really good- not my recipe!!)

choc-choc chip cookies

mini black-bottom cupcakes (mini choc cupcake w/cream cheese & choc chip mixture on top- SOOO good!) - My mom used to always make these for cookie exchanges.

Mermanaid
11-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Not really a cookie, but I received more compliments last year at my cookie swap for this Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti. It didn't turn out perfect, but it was pretty darn good. The only change I'd make to the recipe is to drizzle the chocolate over rather than dip.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/HOLIDAY-BISCOTTI-WITH-CRANBERRIES-AND-PISTACHIOS-108977

ETA: I did not add the aniseed. Blech!

SASM
11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
I am PMing you. I can forward you an email with about 100 different cookie recipe links, if you'd like. :)

ETA: I have an awesome snickerdoodle recipe that I make every year ~ sentimental recipe. :) My kids always like to help with it, too, which is fun. Both of my older DCs have peanut allergies and I have a treenut allergy so they stay away from those as well. ;)

Emmas Mom
11-03-2008, 12:56 AM
If any of these sound good to you let me know and I'll post the recipes (feeling a bit lazy right now!).

low-fat oatmeal cookie w/butterscotch chips (really really really good- not my recipe!!)

choc-choc chip cookies

mini black-bottom cupcakes (mini choc cupcake w/cream cheese & choc chip mixture on top- SOOO good!) - My mom used to always make these for cookie exchanges.

The oatmeal & bb cupcakes sound very yummy, if you wouldn't mind posting those. :)

MontrealMum
11-03-2008, 01:55 AM
These are a lot of work, but they are absolutely amazing - that's not just me saying that, but the people I've made them for---Martha Stewart Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. They are basically molasses cookies, with chocolate chunks and freshly grated ginger in them. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chewy-chocolate-gingerbread-cookies?autonomy_kw=chocolate%20ginger%20cookies&rsc=header_7

graciebellesmomma
11-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Peppermint Bark.
So easy, that it's ridiculous and people will beg for it!
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/006196peppermint_bark.php

LarsMal
11-03-2008, 09:59 AM
The oatmeal & bb cupcakes sound very yummy, if you wouldn't mind posting those. :)

Oatmeal cookies:

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup butter, softened (or margarine)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oatmeal
2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350. Beat together butter, applesauce, and banana. Beat in sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt- add to butter/sugar mixture, mix well. Stir in oatmeal and chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet then remove to wire rack. Makes 3 dozen.

*This can be made egg/dairy allergy friendly by substituting "safe" butter and egg substitute and taking out the butterscotch chips (safe choc chips could be added instead)**

BLACK-BOTTOM CUPCAKES

Cream cheese mixture:
1 cup (8 ounce package) cream cheese- softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Combine ingredients and beat well. Stir in 1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet morsels.

Cupcake:
Sift together:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add:
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until well-combined. Fill mini-muffin cups (lined with paper baking cups) 1/3 full with chocolate batter. Top each with 1/2 tsp or a little more of the cream cheese mixture, spreading it around the top. Sprinkle with sugar (optional).

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, just until the cream cheese starts to turn slight golden brown- no more! Cool completely before eating (they taste better once completely cooled, and are easier to remove from the paper).

**Egg/Dairy allergy kiddos- the cupcake part is completely safe! I make DS some mini choc. cupcakes when I'm making this recipe. It makes a lot of mini cupcakes!!!

Mamma2004
11-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I am PMing you. I can forward you an email with about 100 different cookie recipe links, if you'd like. :)

ETA: I have an awesome snickerdoodle recipe that I make every year ~ sentimental recipe. :) My kids always like to help with it, too, which is fun. Both of my older DCs have peanut allergies and I have a treenut allergy so they stay away from those as well. ;)

I am *aspiring* to become a baker (I'm a much better cook) - I would love any recipes that you recommend!

Thank you!

SASM
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I am *aspiring* to become a baker (I'm a much better cook) - I would love any recipes that you recommend!

Thank you!

Here is my FAVORITE sentimental cookie recipe ~ it was given to me by a favorite teenage cancer patient before she passed away. I make them every year. I do not mess with this recipe for obvious reasons ~ no healthy substitute here! :)

Robyn's SNICKERDOODLES ~ makes about 6 dozen

2.75c sifted flour
2t cream of tartar
1t baking soda
1/4t salt
1/2c regular margarine
1/2c shortening
1.5c sugar
2 eggs
1t vanilla
3T sugar
3T ground cinnamon

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream together margarine, shortening, and 1 1/2c sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla.

Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture, mixing well with spoon. Shape dough into 1" balls. Comibe 3T sugar and 3T cinnamon. Roll each in sugar and cinnamon mixture. Place balls, about 2" apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in 400 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets; cool on racks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you'd like the email with the 100+ links to holiday cookies, just email me. I tried to paste it here but it wouldn't work. :(

Happy baking!!