PDA

View Full Version : Who has a book club suggestion for me?

fauve01
11-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Tomorrow is book club again and we're supposed to show up with ideas for what to read for the next time. There are some books i can think of i want to read, but they are all hardcover and our club always picks paperback. Anyone reading anything good? We usually read fiction, but have done nonfiction a couple times too.

TIA!
anne

to give you an idea, here are a few that we've read and liked:
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Water for Elephants
The OTher Boleyn Girl
The Red Tent
Garden Spells
The Thirteenth Tale
Under the Marble Sky
Eat Pray Love
Prep
Tortilla Curtain
The Eight

irie i
11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
A few books I have read recently that I really enjoyed:

The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen

theCAS
11-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Haven't read a whole lot lately but before DD, I read a lot :) Also have read quite a few of the ones your group has already read so am hoping these will appeal.

Time Traveler's Wife
Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Like Water for Chocolate (kind of an older book now)
Secret life of Bees
Mermaid Chair
A Hundred Years of Solitude
Lovely Bones
Middlesex
A Million Little Pieces (depsite the controversy, it's a pretty interresting book)
Running with Scissors

Those are some of the "meatier" ones I've read that I think would provide the basis for a good discussion.

Good luck and hope this helps!

annasmom
11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
My book club recently read Someone Knows My Name - and everyone loved it. We just finished Beneath a Marble Sky.

Here is a link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Someone-Knows-My-Name/Lawrence-Hill/e/9780393065787/?itm=1

happy2bamom
11-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Our book club has read most of the books that you mentioned. My new favorite book is Cane River. It is long. It is a novel, but based on factual research of 3 generations of women in slavery (and eventually freed). It was so good!

citymama
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I really enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri's new book - "Unaccustomed Earth." I also loved Zadie Smith's last book "On Beauty." Both would be excellent book club books.

StantonHyde
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I absolutely loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (or some name like that!!). I suggested it and that is our book for this month. You already have a bunch of my favs, though I also suggest Freakonomics and Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Secret Life of Bees is a must!! If you have not read Animals in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver, that is excellent as well.

lizajane
11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
anything tracy chevalier. she would fit right in with your choices. i like all of them!!! some titles:
girl with a pearl earring
the virgin blue
the lady and the unicorn
falling angels

Jen841
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
The best discussion books...
The Pact
Nickeled and Dimed
The Last Lecture (quick read)

Right now we are reading Twilight, what many of our babysitters were reading : )

pb&j
11-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Bel Canto
Love Walked In
Atonement (and we also watched the movie)
Everything is Illuminated (another where we also watched the movie)

I'll second the PP's rec for
Middlesex
Time Traveler's Wife

And the woman who wrote The Other Boleyn Girl has a new book out called The Other Queen that I just got from the library yesterday

sarahsthreads
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Let's see, we've recently finished

People of the Book
Song Yet Sung
The Dogs of Babel
Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio
...and I'm drawing a blank on what all we read before then. Too messed up by the time change!

Next up on our list is Three Cups of Tea.

cheaperthanmost
11-02-2008, 11:55 PM
I was going to suggest
Water for Elephants too!

teedeedee
11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
My book club read The Time Travelers Wife. It was one of the few books that everyone really liked and it made for interesting discussion.

IMO, it's the best book I've read in years (and I average a book a week!) LOVED IT!!

shawnandangel
11-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Books I have enjoyed discussing:

The Poisonwood Bible
The Joyluck Club
The Grapes of Wrath (is my favorite book ever)

I know these are not "new" books but they are some of my personal favorites.

mommyp
11-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Lots of good books on your lists so far (some titles I will have to look for!). I especially second The Time Traveler's Wife, Water for Elephants and Atonement.
Some other suggestions:
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

MichelleRC
11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
My book club has read and enjoyed alot of the books previously suggested. We are reading March now (about the dad from Little Women), and I have also recently loved Bel Canto and Infidel.