PDA

View Full Version : OK, SHMs what do you do when you're sick?

Staraglimmer
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I have been sick since Tues. Not sort of sick, but really sick. Currently my ear is killing me, I can't stop blowing my nose, I'm dizzy, and cough non-stop. DH stayed home Wed, but must go back tomorrow. Any suggestions as how to make it from 9 am-7 pm tomorrow? I need some experienced mommy tricks. Help!

elephantmeg
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
you do as little as possible and pray for good naps. Breat out all the favorite stuff-toys, exersaucer, videos. Play lots of games while lying on the couch. And take some good cough syrup tonight (maybe DH will go to the pharmacy and get you some with codeine-you have to go to the window for it and sign for it but you don't need a prescription) so you can have a good sleep tonight while he listens. Tomorrow take lots of advil, keep up with the fluids.... hope you feel better. :)

Davids-Coco
11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
I break out all the toys too... and know that the house will suffer that day. I allow the chaos to take over my home. Take any meds that work while still allowing you to be generally there. Hang on the couch and nap when the kiddo(s) do. I find drinking tons of water in the day really helps too.

(Of course, I've been sick for lots of weeks at this point with colds and morning sickness... so embracing the chaos seems to be my forte.)

Wife_and_mommy
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
At your DC's age, I remember DD only being awake for an hour at a time. That hour was torture though.

I'd have her spend her wake time as tummy time while you lie down next to her. Cups, cooking spoons, and plastic water bottles were my dd's favorite things at that age.

I always call my parents(who rarely babysit) over when I'm sick. I'd hit up anyone you know to watch your DC for a while.

Hope you're feeling better quickly.:hug:

SpaceGal
11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
When I'm sick I'm the "bad lazy" mommy. I let them watch whatever shows they want to watch as long as they are out of trouble and I rest on the couch as they play contently with the tv on for noise. I make sure they eat their meals and change diapers but I'm not as hands on as I would be if I was well. I helps that I don't have to run and chase after them.

It's okay if you need an "off" day do what makes it easier.

s7714
11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I've got a stash of new crafts, toys, books and videos for the sole purpose of handing them out when I'm not functioning well and need something to occupy my DDs. The only time I ask DH to stay home is if I need to take strong medicine and I'm afraid of driving on it. Otherwise I just tough it out. Sick days would be nice though.

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I ask anyone I can think of to help. The IL's don't like to come over and be "exposed" but sometimes I can find a friend/neighbor to help take care of DD and DS for a little bit. Actually a friend knows I'm not feeling well right now, and she offered to take DD for the afternoon one day this week. Do you have anyone who can trade off with you?

I do have DH work from home whenever it is really bad.

Staraglimmer
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys! The cough med. is tempting, but I'm still breast feeding. I long for the days when I had insurance and could go to a DR. :(. We have no one to help, DH is in law school anbd our families are far far away

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Any other law school acquaintances' wives/girlfriends who might be able to lend you a hand for a couple hours?

kerridean
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
No advice. It sucks. I had the stomach flu all day Wednesday and had my 3 and 5 year old all day. I was so wishing I had a job so I could take a sick day and drop them in day care. It was horrible.

niccig
11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Toys, TV, easy meals and I stay on the couch. I also make DH bring dinner home with him. Do as much as you can to get through the day and rest. It's on sick days when I wish I had sick leave.

kijip
11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I long for the days when I had insurance and could go to a DR. :(.

If you are a SAHM and your husband is in law school any chance you could either:

go the the university clinic?

get state medical insurance?

use a sliding scale or free community health center in town?

gatorsmom
11-02-2008, 09:10 PM
At 6 months, I'd stash them in the packnplay or exesaucer as much as possible during their waking hours and pray for long naps the rest of the time. Dinner would be spaghettios- for everyone. It's not like this happens everyday- too much packnplay and exesaucer time is ok for a day or two. DC will turn out just fine.

Hope you feel better!

lizajane
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
girl, turn on that baby einstein, bust out the pack and play as a playpen and faceplant on the count. she will be safe contained in the PnP and you MUST lie down and rest if you want to get better!!!

hugs to you. i have been hacking for over a week and i don't even have a baby to deal with! just a 3 and 5 year old... all alone last weekend when i felt my worst. i just let them watch TV all day. and they watched, then played, then colored, then watched, repeat. it really wasn't as bad as it could have been.

hang in there!

DrSally
11-02-2008, 09:26 PM
If I'm sick, I've prob caught it from DS, so unfortunately, a lot of TV. With 2 it's harder b/c I would nap when DS did if we were both sick.

sarahsthreads
11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
At that age? Lay down in a completely baby-proofed, gated room and let her roll and crawl wherever and play with whatever. I used to do that at night when DD1 would decide 3AM - 5AM was party time and would scream if I wasn't in the room with her.

Try honey (straight up off a spoon) for your coughing. I swear it works miracles!

Hope you feel better soon!

Sarah :)

DietCokeLover
11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I put on a face mask and press on as best as I can. Lay on the couch and watch lots of videos. I agree with getting out the pack and play. At least you know baby is safe if you doze off accidentally.

Happy 2B mommy
11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Baby Einstein. Repeat play option.

Oh, and the honey for a cough really does work great. Just make sure the baby doesn't get any.

deannanb
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Check out kellymom.com

you can take meds just find and still breastfeed.

From Kellymom....
Mom's use of Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients. Monitor your infant for possible drowsiness if you use an antihistamine. The non-sedating antihistamines (below) are generally preferred and are less likely to sedate baby.

The ingredients of Claritin, Claritin-D, Allegra, Allegra-D, Actifed (the decongestant pseudoephedrine plus triprolidine) and Seldane have been approved by the AAP for use by nursing moms. Loratadine (Claritin) has been studied and the amount of loratadine that passes into breastmilk is extremely low. Claritin-D and Allegra-D have pseudoephedrine added (which is AAP approved, but see above about possible effect on milk supply). Dr. Hale has said that he prefers the nonsedating antihistamines (even though they are long-acting) over the sedating allergy medications.

Zyrtec is also generally considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is commonly used by nursing moms, although its levels in milk are not known. Hale rates Zyrtec in the lactation risk catagory L2 (safer).

Clarinex (desloratadine): Desloratadine is another name for descarboethoxyloratadine, which is the main metabolite (breakdown product) of Claritin (loratadine). Per one study (Hilbert J, Radwanski E, Affrime MB et al. Excretion of loratadine in human breast milk. J Clin Pharmacol.1988:28:234-9), 0.019% of the descarboethoxyloratadine was transferred into breastmilk. Since Claritin (and thus its active metabolites, too) is considered safe for nursing moms (it's AAP approved, in fact), Clarinex should not be a problem either.

Milk supply: A common concern is that antihistamines might lower milk supply but, per Dr. Thomas Hale, there is no current research supporting this belief. If you feel that your supply has decreased, it could simply be a byproduct of decreased nursing frequency or dehydration due to your illness.

If you feel that a medication is the cause of a sudden drop in milk supply, then stop taking (or decrease your use of) the medication - if the med is indeed the cause, then supply should increase again soon after you stop taking it. When using an antihistamine, it can be helpful to step up your fluid intake quite a bit. As with any medication, take it only as needed, and discontinue use as soon as you can.