PDA

View Full Version : Do SeaBands really work for nausea?

WatchingThemGrow
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I've been useless for days, maybe weeks. DH has been keeping us afloat, but I can't keep on like this. I asked the pharmacist tonight what works for nausea related to pg, and she said she used Sea Bands when she was expecting her twins.

I bought them and a B complex vitamin (also taking prenatals), with the hopes they would turn things around and help me get off the couch.

Anyone try them? How did they work for you? DH says they make me look like Andre Agassi.

kerridean
11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I tried them when I was pregnant with DD2 and they did not help at all, I am sorry to say.

The only things that helped (just a bit) were lemon slices and m&ms

anamika
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm horribly motion sick and they did nothing for me.

fauve01
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
they worked for me. they also work for my DH and his seasickness when he's on a boat.

another thing that worked for my MS was umeboshi plums. they are very alkaline and soak up acid in your stomach. the pickled ones work best--taste bad but work wonders. you can find them in a health food store.

looks like this
http://www.simply-natural.biz/natural_foods_Umeboshi-Plums-Paste.php

here's a description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi

my aunt, a doctor, was at an asian restaurant in san fransicso when pg with my cousin and when she couldn't eat her lunch the owner was concerned about the food. my aunt said no it's just the pg, the owner then introduced her to the umeboshi plums. she told me when i was pg. also works for my sister who takes some prescription med that upsets her tummy.

HTH!
anne

Sugar Magnolia
11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
They did nothing for me. The only thing that helped was prescription meds. I am sorry you are feeling so awful.

ray7694
11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I was terribly sick and they didn't work for me either. What worked the best was Unisom. If I didn't take it at night I would be so sick the next day. I was sick for 5 months and just made myself get through it.
Good luck finding something that works.

kijip
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Nothing worked (works?) for me this pregnancy, so perhaps the fact that seabands did not should not be a reflection on them in general. I have had severe nausea this entire pregnancy.

randomkid
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Bought some, returned them. They did nothing for me either. When DH took them back, they asked if something was wrong with them. He said, "Yeah, they don't work!" - lol! Wouldn't hurt to try them. I tried them because someone at work said they worked for her. Nothing worked for me, so I'm not a good example. I even tried acupuncture - they use the same points that the sea bands are supposed to put pressure on. I swear the accupuncture made me worse, so I quit that as well!

citymama
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I had horrible nausea the first 16 weeks or so and unfortunately, the sea bands seemed to have no benefit (although they did irritate my wrists and my carpal tunnel issues...). Hope you feel better very soon!

elephantmeg
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
some-not perfect but better. Especially when travelling along curvy roads and at work.

Fairy
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
They work for me with motion sickness -- not as well as Dramamine, but a bit -- but I never tried them while pregnant.

Corie
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I have never tried them but I tried everything else. I was pretty
much a couch potato for the first 16 weeks of both pregnancies.
It's not fun to be so sick and have no relief.

DrSally
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
They did nothing for my motion sickness/nausea. I did get this $100 wristband that electronically stimulates the same acupressure point. It worked in that I was able to fly wo/dramamine with only a little nause. OB said I could use it for pregnancy nausea. I got mine at Sharper image with a coupon, but I think they're out of business now. This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Relief-Band-for-Motion-Sickness/dp/B000VBDRX0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1225682341&sr=1-6

ETA: Also, ginger helps somewhat for my nausea.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
So... I was able to take a shower instead of a bath for the first time in 3 weeks! I even folded a load of laundry and made breakfast for the DC who woke up almost TWO hours early. I thought the time change was only ONE hour back?

I'm not cured, but it was nice to be up and around for a little bit this a.m. There is an Asian market right across the street as well as a huge specialty foods store, so I may try to call and see if they have the umeboshi plums also. WF doesn't carry them, do they? We have a sizeable Japanese population in my immediate area, and I still have limited contact with a Japanese family whose son I used to teach. I'll see if the mom can help me find them if I have no luck on my own.

I'd heard about Unisom, but was not sold on it. Glad to hear it did work for you ray7694. I am sipping Ginger Ale. Maybe I'll bust out some pickled ginger from the fridge later today too.

Thanks for all your tips, and keep them coming if you have them. Neither of my other pgs have made me feel this yucky.

elektra
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I think they helped me a little bit. By no means a cure all though. Hang in there!

MartiesMom2B
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
They didn't make my MS go away my first pregnancy, but if I didn't wear them I felt worse. Prescription meds were the way to go for me, but I got horribly sick and couldn't hold anything done. Kudos to those who could eat something that tasted bad.