PDA

View Full Version : please vote on pack N play (playard)

thewebbie
11-03-2008, 02:12 AM
hi all,

My husband and I are debating what kind of pack and play we should get. We decided on Graco. I think we might have the crib in our bedroom for the first 5 months, and we have a dedicated changer in the nursery. Our house is not big and has only one floor. So, theoretically, as long as we don't go anywhere, the only thing we need in pack and play is containment when the baby is awake and playing. We won't need the bassinet or the changer in the house.

On that consideration, I thought this one might be the one to get, since it can accommodate an older child (my assumption, not sure if this is correct) and have a larger play area:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2918304

However, my husband is convinced that we will need something for when we go visit friends' places, or have outdoor activities. So, his choice is something like this:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2844619

I am not sure if we will go out much before the baby is at an age that he can climb out of a packnplay, but we are first time parents and have no clue what kind of lifestyle change we are getting into. Any advice will be much appreciated!

irie i
11-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Have you seen these in person? I had my heart set on the Graco you listed second, but in a different fabric...this one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3091006

My sweetie and I went to buy it and saw it on display...it was horrible! The material is like sandpaper, it is unstable and the middle was caving in. Considering the fact that the bassinet is used when the baby is a newborn I would only want the safest, most secure and softest bassinet for my baby. I was disappointed because I really loved the playard but I would never put my child in that thing!

We went with this bassinet (not the playard version) instead:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2908731&clickid=body_rv_img

And are going to get something similar to the first link you posted. We are also considering that one or:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3215589

I agree with you that it will last longer and be more helpful when the child is older. They are larger than the playards and I can imagine myself getting more use out of it when he's bigger because I will be able to put a few toys in it to keep him occupied while I am doing housework. To me getting the Nature's Purest playard vs. the bassinet was going to be a waste of money as we would need something larger later on anyway (the playard like you chose...which back in my childhood days was called a playpen). My son's crib is going to be in his nursery so I like that I will be able to move the bassinet around and keep it next to my bed when he's a newborn.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
We've been more than happy with the less elaborate Graco models. We also have a single story house, with a changing table surface in the nursery. Since everything is there, we never needed a changing table top.

At one point, when DD was reaching the weight and height limits of the PnP, I looked into the larger model you linked to, but it has the same weight and height limits as the others. When we've used our PnP (we now have 2 b/c our DC are close together), we've found that the the regular one fits nicely into the spaces we need it to. One with larger dimensions might not be quite as versatile in someone else's guest room. Here is the one we bought at first. Our stroller is the bassinet we use, so this bassinet didn't get much use http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433227 The 2nd one I got from another family almost NIB with all the accessories for $25.

My dad and stepmother have been so kind to purchase one to keep at their house, so we have this basic version at their house, which is for all purposes, the same as the other 2 we have. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5459239 It doesn't have the bassinet, but babies get to 16 lbs or are able to roll over quickly, then the bassinet stuff just becomes something to store every time you use it.

I think I'd stick with the Baby Bargains recommendation to stick with Graco. They are solid and have a good reputation.

ETA: Our DD outgrew the PnP around 2 and could freely climb out and wander at that time. annoying. now she's on an kid's aerobed.

sidmand
11-03-2008, 08:59 AM
I never used the PNP as containment for the baby, just a place to sleep, but perhaps I should rethink that now that DD can *almost* get into DS's toys...I'd been thinking about retiring it completely, but I know it was good for DS to sleep in when we traveled and I figured it would be good in case we travel anywhere with DD too.

We have one with a few bells and whistles and pretty much never used anything but the basic PNP and the bassinet. We did buy a thin mattress to use on the floor/bassinet because the one it comes with seemed way too thin. But otherwise, any one you like that has a good place to sleep is probably fine. I actually don't know too many people that use it as a play area when the kids get older, but that may just be the people I know? I know I've heard of people putting older DC's toys INSIDE when the baby gets bigger so they won't get the toys they shouldn't have though.

MontrealMum
11-03-2008, 10:51 AM
We've been more than happy with the less elaborate Graco models. We also have a single story house, with a changing table surface in the nursery. Since everything is there, we never needed a changing table top.

At one point, when DD was reaching the weight and height limits of the PnP, I looked into the larger model you linked to, but it has the same weight and height limits as the others.
:yeahthat:
We used it a lot early on for sleeping and playing while I was working (I am a grad student and also do contract work from home), but stopped using it for playing around 7mos because my son did not want to be contained for that long once he was crawling, and then stopped using it entirely except for travel when he started walking (he walked early). It never really worked as containment for us except in those early days but that depends on your DC's personality. I did not look at your links but we did appreciate having the elevated changing table for travelling and the bassinet for sleeping - but I think they all have the elevated bassinet for smaller babies, even the less frilly models. All the other bells and whistles were useless, but you get them anyways with the more expensive versions; the "vibrator" terrified DS!

firsttimemama
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
We never used the PNP for containment. This hasn't worked for any of my friends either. Our babies don't like sitting in there.

I have a graco PNP with the "posture plus" changer or something like that. DH & I really liked that feature - the changer - it was nice that it was a little higher (not so hard on our backs).. it did sort of tilt to one side when he was really small and he'd roll in so we had to use a rolled up blanket on that side. Once he got bigger that wasn't an issue.

He slept on the bassinet part fairly often when he was really young.

Once he got too big for the changer we put the PNP away. We haven't travelled with it because we cosleep.

Looking back, I'm glad I got a good deal on mine (clearance: $40!) If you can't get it as a gift I'd consider buying it used and just giving it a good wipe down. We really didn't use ours that long. Of course, you may have a different experience!

Myself & my friends tend to use the exersaucer for "containment" when you've got to do a household chore, etc - rather than the PNP.

amandabea
11-04-2008, 01:03 AM
we had both a bassinet (borrowed - just like the one irie i linked to) and a Graco pack n play (purchased - similar to the one WatchingThemGrow linked to). The bassinet would have been a huge waste of money had it not been free from my brother. I mean we did use it for the first few months, but it was redundant to the PNP since ours had a bassinet feature, but I kept it upstairs in our room and had the PNP downstairs, so we did use the changing table and bassinet features for a little while.

I'd personally buy a PNP for $100 or less and skip a separate bassinet -- unless money is no object and you have your heart set on it. We used our PNP a lot from birth to 20 months, but only for sleeping, no containment. We bought a separate mattress since our DD slept in it quite a bit and we never had any issues.

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I think my post may have been a bit confusing because I was in a rush. We have a model like the 2nd pnp that is linked in the OP - except it doesn't have the "shelves" on the bottom. What we like about it is the raised changing table (ours has the bassinet, cover-thing, fancy noisemaker with 5 volumes and "sounds", vibrator etc.) --- we do not use any of the other features save for the changing table, and that is because we travel with it. The music and sounds are just annoying, the light is useless, and it's hard to turn the whole thing off.

It seems that you get all the extras if you buy a Graco with the raised changing table whether you want/need them or not. If you don't think you'd use the changing table (for me it's essential because it's hard for me to kneel) then I'd get the base version. We do not use the pnp for containment or playing, but only for sleeping.

thewebbie
11-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks everybody for sharing!

Another question, did you find the canopy useful? My husband thinks it can be useful for outdoor activities, when we need to protect the baby from the sun. I am having a February baby, if that matters..

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2008, 07:04 AM
What kind of outdoor activities do you mean? I don't recall a time when we've ever taken our PnP outside for anything except putting it in the car for travel. When we're in the yard or at the beach, someone is wearing the baby in the Ergo or pushing him in the stroller or he's in someone else's arms. We did get an exersaucer/walker thing from CL for baby containment in the yard, but we just put a hat on him. I guess you could set up a PnP outside and use it that way...

sidmand
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks everybody for sharing!

Another question, did you find the canopy useful? My husband thinks it can be useful for outdoor activities, when we need to protect the baby from the sun. I am having a February baby, if that matters..

I found the canopy to be pretty useless! I wouldn't think you would take the PNP outside anyway. We had an outdoor one (the PNP Sport) that we did take to the beach once and I think I used it outside once, but usually if you're all outside, the baby is going to be in a stroller or carrier. I don't think you'd want to lug the PNP outside!

sste
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
We bought BOTH of those. Well, be bought a much, much cheaper travel/crib alternative pack and play (around $60, with bassinet, no other features you can usually find one in this range at albeebaby or walmart).

The first one we use for safety when we have to shower or go to the bathroom. Every baby that has ever come in our house loves that thing - - except for our baby, who is a clinger and no doubt connects it with us being out of the room. That said, we keep it because it is very important safety-wise to us.

The travel one lives in our car. Again, we bought the no-frills version which is really all you need. The mobile is useless, most people don't like the changing table that comes with the more expensive models.

If you buy the cheaper travel one you can get both of these for less than the cost of the second one you have listed. In my experience, the travel ones are very handy - - we now need to buy another because the inlaws took ours for their house.

MontrealMum
11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
We didn't find the canopy particularly useful either. When outside, DS was either: in the stroller, the carrier, or under our umbrella which we have on our porch. Also, when they're first born, babies are supposed to get 15 min. of sunlight a day to help keep them from getting jaundiced. My parents both live near the beach and my mom bought us a tent-like thing with UV protection to use there, but DS wouldn't go inside it. Maybe next year. We just covered him up well with an SPF protected swimsuit and baby sunblock. Of course, he was 11 mos. at that point so there were no worries about SPF and new babies.

kijip
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
My sweetie and I went to buy it and saw it on display...it was horrible! The material is like sandpaper, it is unstable and the middle was caving in. Considering the fact that the bassinet is used when the baby is a newborn I would only want the safest, most secure and softest bassinet for my baby. I was disappointed because I really loved the playard but I would never put my child in that thing!

If it was unstable or caving in at the store, it was not put together right or not locked into position. We have used the 3 in 1 type Graco PNP for a sleep and changing spot and never had an issue, it just needs to be locked firmly in place. Display models go all wonky sometimes. For people without space for a separate bassinet and changing table or for people wanting a satellite sleep/change spot on a different floor of the house, a combo PNP can be a great option. I know we personally loved the changing table (too tall here to change in the bassinet) and I give a lot of these out via work for families without anything for the new baby so far as bed or changing table go. I agree the canopy feature is pointless for many/most.

Swimfreak78
11-04-2008, 08:21 PM
We went with a basic one. We used the bassinet at first and now keep it downstairs (we are in a 2 level house) so we have a changing pad and place to contain DS when he is downstairs. It is nice to travel with.

thewebbie
11-05-2008, 02:15 AM
we are thinking of beach, picnic, and things like that. But some moms at work also suggested that the canopy is not useful. Basically, when the kid is at infant age, he will be in a stroller or bucket that has a canopy anyway, and it is too much trouble to bring a pnp. Also, when the baby starts crawling, he is not likely to like staying in an enclosed pnp, given that the canopy is usually like two clams that are velcroed together.

I think the wisdom here is that the bells and whistles are not really useful. Many people think that the bassinet is useful, and some think that the changing station is useful. But nothing beyond that...